Australian English Genealogy

Trace your family tree - Australian and English family trees



Early Days of The Colony

(BY GEO. G. REEVE)  (For the 'Windsor and Richmond Gazette')


THE FOLLOWING is a verbatim copy of an original letter in the possession of a Sydney gentleman (from the 'Miss Emma Munro' collection).

It was from Henry Colden Antill to John Howe, of Windsor: — Government House,
 Sydney, ' 'March 4, 1812.'

Mr. Howe, Windsor, — Your letter with its enclosures I received by, Dow, yesterday
morning, and in answer to Mr. Gilberthorpe's request, you may acquaint him that if
he  wishes to rent the granary from Mr. Everingham he may do so without any fear
from me of having his grain  seized, as I trust Mr. Everingham will pay his rent like an
honest man and not put me to the trouble of distraining.   Mr. Hobby's note I have
now returned,  and, I suppose with him as with many others, we must have patience
till the Government stores are open in general;  but, I repeat again that I cannot receive wheat for the rent of any of the Farms, or for the Auction Accounts, except from those poor persons that you may think it unsafe to trust — all the gentlemen debtors I must have from them sterling money from -  I am afraid we shall get but little good from Pickett this year. He wishes very much to procure his liberty. Mr. Abbott wanted me to become answerable to him (Abbott) for his (Pickett's) debt, but as I think it would be, for our benefit for him to be at his farm, I promised to give up my claims to part of the wheat; but this offer Mr. Abbott does not seem inclined to accept; and there the matter will rest.
I am afraid, for the present,  you are at liberty to do with Graves as you think proper. Mr. Jenkins must not be settled with for £30, or the balance, whatever it , may be, till he settles for Lamb's  debt as he promised. I can give Mr. Gaudry no more time.   Whenever he is sent for he makes the same  excuse. He has had plenty of time.  Mr. Kable the same. They seem to contract debts without any wish to discharge, and if we go on at this rate, we shall not realise any prosperity by them for twenty years.   I had a letter from Mr. Bell, who, with the rest, pays me with excuses —   instead of money. Mr. Robinson the same. In looking over, the auction account  you sent me, I find an error of  £1/1/- in casting up Mr. Broughton's account. It should be£ 145/12/6, instead   of £144/11/6, and, together with the difference of £ 5/17/0 for the young horse 'Rajah' will make the sum total (of the  auction account) £626/6/0. Most of the   purchasers are good marks, and I think we might get something from them as; the term is expired. Putting aside the old debts, we should receive from the sale of(Andrew Thompson's) effects more than would discharge the whole of the debts.

A Mr  Hayes came to me yesterday respecting a debt due to him of upwards of £50, but whose name is not down in the lot (list) Smith gave me. Let me know by any opportunity what his balance is,  as he (Hayes) says he is willing to receive it in wheat.     I am in hopes of doing much when I come up with the Governor (Macquarie) which will be about the latter end of the month (March 1812) , but I will endeavor to see you before then.    Cromby has not yet arrived. I cannot think what keeps him so long. I have promised Webb he shall have a load or two (of grain) to bring down. He will not give more than the former price he offered for his visit to Scotland Island.   Milward says that he can only pay £40 a year for his debts. I suppose we must take this if we can get no more. Having, nothing more to add at present, I have enclosed to you Morley's agreement and Jones's - also. These are all I have of his.   Mr. Abbott refuses still to settle for the pigs.   I am, etc., H. C. ANTILL.  

To  Mr. Howe, Windsor.   I have not mentioned to the Governor (Macquarie) about the spirits. Should  he refuse I will endeavor to send up a little on account of the estate (Andrew Thompson's Estate), that you may occasionally 'charge your health' in Squire's 'Pysin' 'Goddess of Misery,' to clear  the throat from the dust of the wheat.' Send the letter enclosed to Mr. Bell, or give it to him when you see him in town (Windsor).
Note by the writer. — A notable vault in the old Church of England portion of Devonshire-street burial ground, Sydney (it is now standing at La Perouse cemetery) was that which stood over the  remains of the man who 'brewed the first ale' in New South Wales for commercial purposes. The inscription speaks for itself:

 — In Sacred Respect  to the Remains of MR. JAMES SQUIRE late of Kissing Point who departed this life, May 16th, 1822; aged 67 Years. He arrived in this Colony in the First Fleet, 'and by Integrity and Industry acquired and maintained an unsullied reputation. Under his Care the HOP PLANT was first Cultivated in this Settlement,  and the first BREWERY was Erected, [ which- progressively matured to Perfection. As a Father  a Husband, a Friend, and a Christian He lived Respected and  died Lamented.

From the author's intensive researches in to 'Hawkesbury History '(still making same his objective) I herewith give a short history . and account of the two principals named in the verbatim document of  correspondence, and most, if not all, of the lesser lights named. Mr. John Howe was undoubtedly the most remarkable and famous man that ever walked a street in 'old brown Windsor,' or shall , I say 'old drab Windsor,' not  meant in any way as a term of disrespect for the old town on, 'the Hawkesbury River. John Howe was' one of a notable band of Free Settler Farmers that came by the Coromandel on 13th. June, 1802, to Port Jackson. He, with: the other 9 Free Folks that supported and founded old Ebenezer kirk, the Church of the Fathers, had a farm grant of 100 acres of land on the left bank of the Hawkesbury at Lower Wilberforce, and resided and tilled the land there until the year 1810. When Mr. Howe came to , Windsor to live, he became the proprietor, by purchase, of what had been the store keeping business of the then late Andrew Thompson,  situated on the present site of Thompson's Gardens in George -street, Windsor, facing Howe's bridge in Bridge Street. John Howe also succeeded to the official position of Chief Constable, and later on to the position of Coroner for the whole' of the Hawkesbury district,- from Windsor to Wiseman's Ferry. In the years 1819  and 1820 Mr. John Howe organised and equipped two parties of men, severally, for a tour of discovery of new areas of land settlement, north Ward from Windsor.

 Mr. John Howe is, and was, the real founder of what is now the flourishing town of Singleton, on the. Hunter River. After rearing a very distinguished family of daughters and sons in the district, and at Windsor, Mr. Howe, after thirty-seven years residence in the old town, left it and went to reside at 'Ray- Worth Farm,' of 200 acres, near Morpeth, -New South Wales, . where he died on the 19th December, 1852, at the advanced age of 78 years. There has been in its long history no more famous individual than Mr. Howe whose merits and achievements have, counted for so much in advancement and progress, and the time will surely  come when Windsor folks will surely recognise his famous two exploration journeys, by erecting a pedestal commemorating same; and his enterprise and energy should have a tablet, along with the names of the men who accompanied Mr. Howe, in the Church of England, St. Matthew's, Windsor, of which historic  edifice Mr. John Howe was a supporter and pew-holder. Also, during his residence at. Windsor, Mr-. Howe was one of the mainstays of the church, from its erection until his . departure for Morpeth. Mr. Henry Colderi Antill, the writer of the historic communication which was sent' to Mr. Howe : (who, at the period  quoted, was in a nourishing way of business in-.. Windsor, as auctioneer, as well as a private* storekeeper and Chief Constable and Coroner), was born in  New York, U.S.A., on the 1st May, 1776, his father being Major John Antill, who had married the daughter of Governor Golden, of New York State, and of  Scottish descent. The Antills, being loyalists to the British Crown, insofar as the father of the founder of the Australian Antills are concerned,, Major John Antill lost all his American property, after the American Colonists achieved their in dependence from England. The Major with his family fled to Canada, and thence to Scotland, where his son, Henry Colden Antill, joined the 73rd Regiment, then stationed in Perthshire. Previous to that it had been, on foreign service for nearly thirty years. When Governor Lachlan Macquarie received the appointment of Governor of this State, the 73rd Regiment accompanied him to these shores.. The 73rd Regiment was ordered to service in New South Wales, and was here until March, 1814. H, C. Antill, entered the Regiment as an Ensign on the. 16th August, 1796, being then in his twentieth (20th) year. . He served with his. Colonel; L. Macquarie, in the Indian Wars against Teppoo Sahib-. H. C. Antill carried the colors of the 73rd at the storming of Seringapatam, when he was severely wounded. In January, 1809 Antill was promoted to a captaincy, and -was appointed by Macquarie at an A.D.C. on his official staff at Sydney. H. C. Antill retained his position on the staff of Macquarie until the year.1816, when he retired on half pay and went to- live on his land grant, the Jarvisfield, Estate, at Picton, New South Wales.' In .1823 was built 'Jarvisfield House,' Picton,  which was named after one of the early  estates belonging to Macquarie, in Scotland (acquired by his marriage to his first wife, Miss Jane Jarvis) the township of Picton.   This town is also said to have been named after General Picton, of Waterloo fame, by Captain Antill. Andrew Thompson, who died at Windsor on the 22nd1 October, 1810,  by his will, drawn up by William Smith, his clerk, named as his executors Mr. H. C. Antill, Mr. John Howe, and Simeon Lord, of Sydney. One half of Thompson's estate  was bequeathed to Governor Macquarie ' (he 'being so fond of opulent emancipists) and Simeon Lord in equal parts; the remainder being left to Thompson's relatives  in 'Scotland. Thompson's effects and real estate were sold by Mr. Howe on the 19th January, 1811. In Andrew Thompson's funeral procession the Rev. Mr ,. Cartwright walked foremost, and was followed by Surgeons Mileham and Redfern, who had attended the deceased through the long and painful illness that brought to a conclusion an existence that had been :well. applied. Next followed the bier, attended by Captain Antill, A.D.C. to His Excellency the Governor, as chief mourner. The pall bearers were  Mr. Cox, Mr. James Cox, Mr. Lord, Mr. Williams, Mr. Arndell and Mr. Blaxland. A number of gentlemen followed as mourners, and a long., train, composed principally of the inhabitants of the settlement, followed in succession. - The. following is a copy of the entry of his death in the register of the Parish Church of the Hawkesbury: — 'Entry No. 5 Andrew Thompson, Esq., of this- Parish, came to. the colony in the ship Pitt, in the year of our Lord, 1792. Aged 37 years, and was buried October 25th, 1810. — Robert Cartwright,' ,

A memo after this entry says: 'A.' Thompson was the first corpse buried in the new churchyard at Windsor.' . To return to Captain H. C. Antill,- when his Regiment left N.S.Wales he determined to remain in this country where he had acquired many properties and interests, the means by which he had become wealthy. This can be understood by reference to his own letter, and to investments, shrewd deals .in wheat, etc. Antill was said to' have been quite as grasping as was said of Mr. Solomon Wiseman, in his day, but one cannot write as one knows the facts. The 'S.M. Herald' contains the advertisement -. of his death notice, as follows: — : .

On Saturday, the 14th instant (14th August, 1852) at 'Jarvisfield,'  Henry Colden Antill, of Jarvisfield, Picton, Captain and Brevet Major of Her Majesty's 73rd Regiment, unattached, aged 73 years. .Of Macquarie, the Scotch Governor it is quite evident that he was no different from the type of mercenary and rapacious ex- military officer,  judging, from his conduct and admitting as equals with him arid his 'man Friday' Antill, such types of individuals as the 'opulent . emancipists' as Andrew Thompson.

Then again, Macquarie's fulsoire and humorless inscription engraved over, the large slab-stone in St. Matthew's Churchyard, Windsor; but 'there's a reason'as one of the advertisements says of a food cereal preparation. H. C. Antill presumably told Macquarie of the provision in Thompson's will, whereby the Governor from the bleak, cold island of Mull, was to receive one quarter of Thompson's fortune. William Dow was the name of an old soldier in the service of Governor Macquarie, and was employed as an horseman  messenger on all important and confidential communications. At other times Dow  was engaged as one of the postillions for the Governor's carriage. Thomas Gilberthorpe had a farm at Pitt Town, the locale of which I am unable to trace. In the year 1810, Gilberthorpe held a license for an inn at the same place. This early day wheat farmer must have been a man of great energy and industrious habits. Pioneer Geo. i   Hall makes reference to Gilberthorpe's   'Hurdles Farm' in his diary, in which Mr. Hall continued his entries after arrival by the Coromandel, 1802 to 1819.  (From Sydney 'Gazette,' June 2nd, 1810)

TO PROPRIETORS MASTERS- OF COLONIAL VESSELS  - Thomas Gilberthorpe, Settler at the Hawkesbury, most respectfully informs them he has a quantity of Corn that he wishes to send to Sydney on freight, for the King's Stores or Public Market, as he can load a vessel without delay, he trusts that some person will be encouraged to send their vessel up immediately for a full freight, to which request he is induced by the dread of a possible flood which may sweep the whole away, to the great loss not of himself and family alone, but of the colony at large. As the Hawkesbury at that time was the granary of the colony, upon which Government and settlers were dependent for their supplies, it was no doubt very important that crops should be immediately harvested when ready,, and this industrious man had probably seen the previous calamity caused by the famine and floods of 1806, In the Sydney Gazette' of July 21st, 1810, is noticed the launching of the schooner 'Elizabeth and Mary, which took place in June of that year. She was ;built and launched at Richmond, and the report  speaks of -this vessel as 'one of the finest ever built in the colony. ', Her burden was 80 tons, and she was employed in the carrying trade between Hawkesbury and Sydney. Griffiths, one of the owners, is often ref erred to in the colonial press, being a shipwright of some note. The 'Elizabeth and Mary' was not the first Hawkesbury built vessel that honor falling to the 'Nancy,' which was launched in 1803, but unfortunately was wrecked in 1805. The 'Glory'' was another vessel built by Griffiths in .1819. The first vessels which ever traded to the Hawkesbury were the ''Norfolk,'a brig of 5R tons, purchased by Governor King in 1801, and built in 1797, of Quebec Oak, carrying a master, mate, and 6 able seamen; ''Francis,' a schooner of 40 tons, with master, chief mate, and . 5 able seamen, which, although built in the colony,  came from England in name by the 'Pitt,' in March, 1792; and. the 'Bee,' sloop of 11 tons, with master and three men; a colonial' built vessel. The latter came regularly to and from the Hawkesbury for some time, and was described in King's reports as 'a very useful vessel for bringing grain* etc.; and many other useful purposes.' ; .
July. 21, 1810. On Saturday last came round from Hawkesbury, where she was built, the new schooner 'Elizabeth and'- Mary,' Messrs Griffiths and Thorley, owners.- She was launched  at Richmond about a month since, and brings & cargo of maize. Her burthen is about 5O tons, her keel 48ft., 18ft. beam, and is considered one of the finest vessels ever built an the colony.  The Mr. Everingham. mentioned by Mr. .Antill, in his letter to Howe, undoubtedly was the pioneer founder of all the Australian Everinghams, -Matthew  James Everingham the first. He was a First Fleeter and came to New South Wales in; 1788 .  In the Rev. Richard Johnson's Register, now at St. John's Church, Parramatta, is recorded the entry of the marriage of M. J. Everingham (I.) to his wife.
It reads: — 'At Rosehill, (Parramatta), by permission of Governor Arthur Phillip,
solemnisation of matrimony between Matthew James' Everingham and Elizabeth Rhymes, married this ,18th day of March in the year cf our Lord, one thousand seven hundred, and ninety one (1791). By me, Richard Johnson, Chaplain, 'This marriage Was solemnised between us Matthew Everingham, Elizabeth Rhymes. 'In the presence of Thomas Barsby and Peter Stewart, witnesses.' . It is pleasing to say that both parties to the contract then made signed their names in a good  firm hand; so vastly different to . most of the First Fleet marriages .
 In the baptism entries made by the First Chaplain Rev. Richard Jonnson, in the same valuable book, there is. one commemorating the baptism, at Parramatta of a daughter named Mary Everingham, born 23rd December, 1791. The parents were M. J, Everingham  and .Mrs. Elizabeth Everingham (nee Rhymes). I understand that at womanhood this baby daughter of the pioneer and his wife became the foundress mother of the very old Hawkesbury family, the Woodburys. As I shall be writing a complete memoir of the genealogy and achievements of 'A First Fleet Family,' the preceding notes on Pioneer M. J. Everingham will suffice for the present. 
Mr. Thomas Hobby was a soldier, who, after his retirement from the 'Rum Corps,' the 102nd Regiment or  Royal Veterans, be came a farmer- settler in the Nepean district at Castlereagh. Hobby had been a lieutenant in the army. Lieutenant Thomas Hobby was also second in charge of the 'convicts who made the construction of the first road over the Blue Mountains (1814-1815) . No doubt he did excellent service, and one can almost forgive  Hobby in that achievement for his base conduct in being one of the signatories of the petition that led to . the deposition of Governor William Bligh (1808).
Hobby is  buried at St. Peter's Churchyard, Richmond. The inscription over the old soldier's tomb reads:— Sacred to the memory of THOMAS HOBBY, ESQ., formerly lieutenant  in the 102nd. Regiment, who died January 8th, 1833. There is also an inscription to his wife! Ann Elizabeth Hobby, who died January 30th, 1839, aged 72 years.

Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 15Apr 1927



Visions of the days departed, Shadowy phantoms filled my train, They who lived in
history, Seemed to walk the earth again. THERE is no place in the whole of Australia,
unless, perhaps it be Parramatta or Morpeth, that still bears the impressive reminders of the early days as does "old brown Windsor, quite apart from the fact of its old-time Government House demolished 1915) and it being the home, in a secondary sense, of the early Governors of New South Wales, from Philip Gidley King, to Governor Sir Thomas Brisbane, sixth representative of the King in this State.
Dear old Windsor has also been the home town of many notable personages of historic  note. The same can also be said of a great number of "assigned men and women," who, having achieved  tickets of leave" or conditional or absolute pardons, thusly becoming "free by servitude,  had taken a wife and settled down as farmers, or tillers of the soil in the neighborhood  of Windsor - as a matter of fact, contemporaneous with the five free settlers, and families by the Bellona (1793), the Roses (of 1793), the Powells, the Merediths, and the two Webbs, Thomas and Joseph. The vicinity of the right bank of the Hawkesbury, from the peninsula land, as far down and beyond Pitt Town Bottoms land, was first farmed by the twenty-two (22) emancipists, some of whom had wives and others had not. The 22 emancipists were settled on grants of land of 30 acres each (more or less), by Lieutenant Governor Francis Grose. The dates  of the farm grants were in the latter part of the year 1794. One of the twenty-two original settlers in the vicinity of Windsor was William Saunders, and "Saunders' Farm," at Pitt Town bears the date of 19th November, 1794. A picture of the farm house of Saunders' with a bark roof, appears in David Collins,' "The English Colony in New South Wales," (1798 edition)— the most valuable book of reference on the beginnings of Australian history. Members of that family are still extant in the Hawkesbury district, but the family surname in the spelling has been changed to that of Sanders.
In the churchyard at St. Matthew's Church of England, Windsor, can be seen a bow-shaped tombstone, near the western tower of Windsor Church. The inscription reads: Sacred To the memory of DANIEL BARNET, who Died February 15th, 1823, Aged 68 years It is a very historic grave, and the man under the stone was one of the twenty- two emancipist pioneers of Windsor. The memorial was erected (so the inscription goes on to say) by the pioneer's son. It also has a footstone with initials 'D.B., 1823.' Francis Grose, who acted as Lieutenant Governor of New South Wales, after Governor Phillip's departure, after settling the emancipists on their farms at the Hawkesbury, left for England on 16th December, 1794, and became a half-pay officer, until 1798. He was appointed to the military staff in Ireland during the early part of 1798, and to Gibraltar, 1805, went back to England from Spain and was again appointed to Ireland in 1809. In the latter year, Grose applied for the Governorship of New South Wales, but was rebuffed. The "Sydney Gazette" of September 3rd, 1814, in a paragraph taken from the ''Courier' newspaper of London of the 31st March of that year made the statement, "We have the pleasure to announce the marriage of Lieutenant General Grose, to Mrs. Paterson, relict of the late Lieut. Colonel Paterson, of the 102nd Regiment." (The infamous old rum corps of evil memories). Grose is said to have died a few months afterwards at Croydon, in County Surrey, England. Grose must always be considered as the official with the foresight and courage to place the first settlers at the Hawkesbury on the good and fertile areas of the river lands. So much for Grose. I come now to Samuel Pickett, of whom Henry Colden Antill, writing to John Howe, of Windsor, said incidentally, "He (Pickett) wishes very much to procure his liberty." Thus it shows that Pickett was, at the period of March 1812 a conditional emancipist with a ticket of leave. Of Samuel Pickett I have no data other than the fact that the map of the parish of Pitt Town, County of Cumberland, shows two 30 acre land grant areas, totalling 60 acres adjacent to the farms of William Pawson and Joseph Butler. The two latter emancipists were of the community of the twenty-two original emancipist settlers. Samuel Pickett's two farms would be situated somewhere about down the road on the left going to Pitt Town Bottoms, from the Wiseman's Ferry-road.

Mr. Edward Abbott was a Major in the 102nd. Regiment (New South Wales Corps) and came to this State with that Regiment, arriving at Sydney on the 26th June, 1790. When a detachment of the soldiery were sent to Windsor to guard the settlers against the attacks and looting of their farm produce and stock by the blacks, Major Abbott was placed in charge, and he resided at the first military barracks built in the old town. Joseph Holt, in his informative work entitled "Memories of Joseph Holt," speaks very highly of Edward Abbott and another officer, Captain John Piper. Abbott left Windsor about the year 1814, having been appointed Deputy Judge Advocate for Van Dieman's Land by Governor Macquarie. Abbott arrived at Port Dalrymple by His Majesty's brig 'Emu' on the 12th February, 1815, at a salary of £600 per annum. He remained in office until 1824, when a new constitution for Tasmania was enacted. Abbott visited England the same year, and on Edward Abbott returning at the end of 1825, he brought with him the commission of civil Commandant at Port Dalrymple (Launceston) with a salary of £585 per year. Abbott received a large grant of land, 3,100 acres and a reserve of land embracing 210 acres in Launceston, Tasmania. The latter area became a "cause celebre" in much litigation in later years in the "tight little Island." Abbott's health failed entirely during the early thirties of last century, hastened no doubt by his losses through the court troubles, and he became dependent on the help of Captain William Lyttleton, the police magistrate at the town on the Tamar River to carry out his duties. Edward Abbott died at the Government Cottage, Launceston, on the 31st July, 1832, and he was buried in the churchyard attached to St. John's Church. Mr. Thomas William Archer, of Hobart, was married to one of Capt. Abbott's daughters, Mary Abbott. Mr. Nathaniel Low, of the 40th Regiment, was married to another daughter, named Elizabeth Abbott, and yet another daughter, who died in infancy, is commemorated on the tablet of a vault in old St. John's cemetery at Parramatta. It states: In memory of Harriet Abbott, daughter of Captain Edward and Louisa Abbott, who departed this life 20th January, 1808. Aged two years and one month. The place known as "Abbotsbury," on the Western-road, near Minchinbury Vineyard, not far from the old world village of St. Marys, was a land grant originally owned by Edward Abbott. The Mr. Jenkins referred to by Antill in his letter to John Howe was probably the Sydney merchant of the name who married a widowed daughter of Mrs. Mary Matcham Pitt, of '"Bronte Farm," near Richmond. Henry Lamb had a farm on the Hawkesbury River opposite Johnston's, Portland Head, or 'New Berwick' Farm. The place is owned by Mr. Chas. Turnbull. The well- known grandson of pioneer John Turnbull, Mr. John Warr Turnbull lives on the farm with his son. The property, which is known by the name of 'Kelso' was acquired in the early twenties by Mr. Ralph Turnbull, the first, and his Australian-born brother, George Turnbull, the first. The surrounding ridge near the old "Lamb" homestead is in deed a very historic place as being the exact site of two furious onslaughts made on the house and women and children inmates of the Lamb family by the Maroota Blacks (Aboriginals) during the year 1805, and again in the year 1808. So it will be seen that the Lambs are a very old Hawkesbury family, and some of the pioneer Lamb's descendants are still on the old river. I am of the opinion that the founder of the family, Mr. Henry Lamb, had been a soldier who had been induced to become a settler. William Gaudry, who had originally been a clerk in the office at Sydney of one of the secretary's to Governor King methinks, (perhaps it was Governor William Bligh;) had married Miss Dinah Kable, one of the three daughters of Henry Kable, of Windsor; but William Gaudry, dying at the early age of 34 years, on the 3rd January, 1816, his widow, Mrs. Dinah Gaudry (nee Kable), married a second time to Mr. John Teale, a miller, of Windsor, and thus, by her marriage to Mr. Teale was established the well-known and highly respected family of the Teales.
In the Kable vault tomb at St. Matthew's churchyard at Windsor, two of the many in- scriptions read thusly: — Sacred to the memory of WILLIAM GAUDRY Who, departed this life the 3rd January, 1816. Aged 34 years (Also) (Mrs.) DIANA TEALE, who died March 11th, 1855 Aged 65 years. Another inscription on the 'Gaudry'' vault, for such it is, though generally referred to as the "Kable" vault, records the note that "John Teale died September 25, 1852, aged 63 years." A daughter named Blanche Teale and a son named William H. Teale are also there interred with their parents.

Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 29 Apr 1927



MRS. DINAH GAUDRY (nee Dinah Kable); bore her first husband, William Gaudry, a family of four children, viz., William H., Charles, George, and Emiline Gaudry. George Gaudry, in his day, was a very good fighter with the bare fists — a notable fight in which he was engaged was that in which he fought Bishop on Killarney race- course, near Windsor. Emiline Gaudry married John Wild, of Vanderville. Sometime after William Gaudry, the first, died, his widow married for the second time Mr. John Teale, a miller, of Windsor; and Mrs. Dinah Teale (nee Kable—formerly Gaudry) bore Mr. Teale a family of two daughters and three sons. The daughters were Caroline Teale (died unmarried at the age of 33 years, on the 25th August, 1854) and Blanche Teale (died 29th July, 1843). Two of Mr. John Teale's sons—Joseph and Henry Teale—were celebrated Hawkesbury men and fighters of the very first quality. My friend, Mr. Richard Holmes, claims that, of all the old time Hawkesbury fighters with bare knuckles — and there were some good ones, viz., Joe Windred, Bill and Joe Dargin, Jack Kable, Frank Norris, Ben Mortimer and Carver— there was none to equal in prowess, strength and durability, Harry Teale, and that his brother, Joe Teale, was nearly Harry's equal. Harry Teale, in his time, fought, amongst many others, 'Yellow Johnny,' a half-caste from the Lower Hawkesbury. Harry Cohen came expressly to Wilberforce to beat Harry Teale, and Tom Johnston also essayed to beat Harry, but failed like the others. Harry Teale also had a rough and tumble fight with Frank Norris, who was regarded as the champion heavyweight. The affair arose out of a personal matter between Teale and Norris. The latter was a much heavier man than either of the Teales, and friends separated the pair before much skin was lost. These old time fistic encounters were held in a 24 feet ring, and all the rounds were, in length of time, of one minute duration. Harry Teale, like his brother Joe, was unbeaten during the whole of his career. The same can be said of Joseph Teale, who, in his time, met and defeated 'Bill' White in a contest which lasted 30 rounds. Joe Teale also vanquished Paddy Daley, Richard Crummy and Bill Sparkes, the latter being considered, at the time, one of the best pugilists in the State. After many furious rounds were fought in the affray against Bill Sparkes, which took place at Sydney, Joe Teale was proclaimed the winner. Both the Teale brothers, who were Wilberforce natives, upheld the honor of the old Hawkesbury stock. Of course, I have only chronicled a few of the fights in which these Wilberforce 'cornstalks' took part— space will not allow the full catalogue. Perhaps, at another time, I will write at length of the doings of most of the well-known names of Hawkesbury natives and the '"ills" in which they took part. There seemed to be "something in a name," for, after all, was not pioneer John Teale a miller My good friend, Mr. William Davis, of Newtown, Windsor, distinctly remembers the late Mr. John Teale, whom, he says, was a tall and well-built man. Mr. Davis also remembers, as a mere boy of. eleven years of age, attending the funeral of Mrs. Dinah Teale when that good lady was interred in the Gaudry vault at St. Matthew's churchyard in the year 1855. I come now to the progenitors of the old Australian family — the Kables. Both the founder, Henry Kable, and the woman whom he married, Susannah Holmes, arrived with Governor Arthur Phillip by the First Fleet at Port Jackson in 1788. The founder and foundress of the Kables came from Norwich, in Norfolk, England. Needless to say, Mr. J. C. L. Fitzpatrick was wrong in his history of "Those were the Days" when he says, inter alia, "Henry Kable came to Au tralia as a Free Settler in Governor Phillip's first fleet in 1788." Allow me to emphasise the fact that Henry Kable did not come as a Free1 Settler, but as a common convict along with scores of other folks, men and women. Both Henry Kable and the woman whom he married on Australian soil, Susannah Holmes, were sentenced to transportation to New South Wales for seven years each. If Historian Fitzpatrick had chosen to tell the truth in his little brochure concerning Henry Kable's origin (or even if Mr. Fitzpatrick had not stated the condition under which Henry Kable came, believing, as I do, that he knew that Kable and the woman who became his wife came in bond for seven years transportation) I am compelled to state, in the interests of true history and for accuracy's sake, that Henry Kable came as a convict to New South Wales. Otherwise I would not have pointed out the "error of fact" unnecessarily. The thought occurs to me: Why did not M. Fitzpatrick write of Henry Kable in the same way as he did in reference to another First Fleeter and founder of a long line of Hawkesbury descendants, Matthew James Everingham (I.) My opinion is that one of the Bathurst Kables, owning the letters F.L.G.A., F.S.P.A., inspired that inaccurate origin of his paternal ancestor, and that the author of "Those were the Days" "fell for it" In the large volume, 'The Voyage of Governor Phillip," are listed the names of Henry Kable and Susannah Holmes, and I once and for all state, without equivocation, that all the letters written to myself and historical friends, from kinsfolk in descent from this historical union of the two First Fleeters, are nonsensical. It is foolish to say that Henry Kable came as secretary to Governor Phillip when the truth must be told, as I know it, that he could not even write his own signature. Kable's name, where it appears on McArthur's petition to George Johnston, is, in all probability, signed by John McArthur himself or another soldier tool,. With regard to McArthur's petition, containing the names of soldiers and settlers, he probably took the liberty of writing more than a fourth part of the whole signatures which it bore. He would do anything to ob tain an excuse, to arrest and depose Governor Bligh. (1808).
In the original list of the Rev. R. John son's marriages the following can still be seen: — Port Jackson, New South Wales, 1788 MARRIAGES . No. 3. — By permission of His Excellency Arthur Phillip, Governor— The solemnisation of matrimony between Henry Kable and Susannah Holmes, married the 10th day of February in the year of Our Lord one thousand seven hundred and eighty eight (1788), by me, Richard Johnson, chaplain. This marriage was solemnised between us — witness our hands, in the presence of E. B. Parrott and Sam'l Barnes. His HENRY X CABLE. Mark Her SUSANNAH X HOLMES Mark Forsooth, the alleged secretary to Governor Phillip signing his name with a cross. The statement is enough to make the Gods weep. The first chaplain, the Rev. Richard Johnson, writing to Evan Nepean, Esq., from Port Jackson, in the County of Cumberland, New South Wales, under date of July 12, 1788 (some seven months after the arrival of the First Fleet in New South Wales), amongst many other interesting observations and occurrences, inter alia, says: "You may remember, sir, a circumstance which greatly interested the publick a little before our leaving England. This was respecting the Norwich jailer and the two convicts, Kable and Holmes, which, with the child, were removed from the Norwich jail to Plymouth in order to be embarked on board one of the transports then bound for New South Wales. These two persons I married soon after our arrival here. Some persons (in England) made charitable contributions for these two persons — collected the sum of £20 and laid out in various articles— at the same time requesting I would see these delivered, to them on arrival here. Unfortunately these have not been found. The circumstance has been brought before the Civil Court out here, when a verdict was found in their favor against the captain of the 'Alexander.' Am sorry this charitable intention and action had been brought to this disagreeable issue, the more so because the public seemed to be so much interest ed in their welfare. The child is still living (July, 1788), of a weakly constitution, but a fine boy. And I may have the honor of once more subscribing myself, honorable sir, you most obedient, humble, servant. — RICHARD JOHNSON, Chaplain."

Following on from the incident spoken of by Rev. Johnson, to Nepean, of the Kable couple and child, the late James Bonwick, in his famous work, "Australia's First Preacher" (published in 1898) has the following note: — "A (London) newspaper of 1813, referring to the incident, records the fact that the father of the little one so be- friended by the humane jailer and chaplain in the year 1787, afterwards rose to be a man of wealth in New South Wales. A poor creature in trouble with some young man in petty larceny, was confined in Norwich jail. The jailer was ordered to bring the couple to be transported down to the Fleet at Plymouth. On arriving at the vessel the captain, not finding the infant's name on the list of his destined passengers, re fused to allow it to come on board. The humane jailer, affected by the terrible distress of the mother, took the infant on shore and hastened with it to London to obtain the required order for its admission. In spite of the many difficulties and unfortunate delays, he succeeded at last, after travelling hundreds of miles, took a boat and with the infant charge reached the ship making its way out. The kind-hearted fellow gained deserved public honor and great interest was excited on behalf of the mo ther." To those interested in the story of Henry Kable and his wife (nee Susannah Holmes) it may be stated that the infant was named after the father, and that young Henry Kable lived to the age of 66 years.
In the old cemetery at Vanderville, near Picton, two tombstones, side by side, record: — Sacred to the memory Of HENRY KABLE (II.— G.R.) Born 17th February, 1786 Died 15th May, 1852. The other states: — In Memory of (Mrs.) SUSANNAH MILEHAM Died 20th June, 1885. Aged 89 years. "She hath done what she could.' " The above lady was the second wife of Doctor James Mileham, who died on the 28th September, 1824, aged 60 years. Mrs. Susannah Mileham was the second daughter of Henry Kable, of Windsor, and his wife Susannah. The third daughter was Eunice Kable, who became the wife of Robert Fitz. The latter was an official at the Court House, Windsor, for many years during the early part of the nineteenth century. The historian, James Bonwick, records that, at the old George-street (Sydney) cemetery, situated where the town hall is now, one of the very oldest of the tombstones there bore the inscription: — Sacred to the Memory of —— KABLE Who died in 1792, aged 2 years O cruel death, that could not spare A loving child that now lies' here; Great loss to them, he left behind, He, eternal joys shall find. The historical records of New South Wales, Vol. IV., 1800-1802, page 771, contains the following note relative to Henry Kable, First Fleeter: "Henry Kable, having misbehaved in the execution of his duty as Chief Constable at Sydney, is hereby re- moved from that situation. — Philip Gidley King, Governor." It can be easily seen, therefore, that Henry Kable was not a man of great probity or distinguished in any way for special merits or strength of character. After his dismissal from the position of Chief Constable, Henry Kable appears to have become a partner in the firm of Lord, Kable and Underwood, colonial shipowners, of Sydney. In the year 1804 Kable is registered as the owner of the 'Governor King' schooner; the "Endeavor," the "Contest," the "Marcia," and the "Diana," trading in Bass Straits, and in the following year had other ships registered in his name. In the year 1807, Henry Kable had a lease in what is now George-street, on the corner of Essex Lane. About the end of 1807 the three partners in the firm of merchants and shipowners, Lord, Kable and Under- wood, appear to have struck trouble through Simeon Lord's objectionable conduct in trafficking with the French. Lord was one of the cutest of scoundrels. At first he sided with Governor Bligh and signed an address to that great man, repudiating John Mc- Arthur's right to sign an address of welcome without consulting him (Lord), for was not Lord at this time a "very opulent merchant" and rich man? The trouble arose over a ship named the "Commerce." Lord and Company had shipped wool, skins, oil, sealskins and other Australian produce in that vessel. It was then found that the ship was in a leaky condition, and it was proposed to tranship her cargo to another Vessel, the 'Sydney Cove,' Governor Bligh Wanted the transhipment done his way, the firm of Lord, Kable and Underwood wanted, the transhipment done '. their way, and sent the following letter to Bligh: — Sydney, Aug. 10, 1807 May it please Your. Excellency, Sir,— We beg leave to represent to your Excellency that we this morning received an intimation from the Naval Officer's Clerk, informing us that you would not permit any vessel to go alongside another in the Cove, and that the "Commerce" must discharge her cargo by boats, and that some persons must be on board to see her discharged; the Orphan and Wharfinger fees must be paid. It having been this day agreed between Captain Birnie and ourselves that the cargo of the snow, "Commerce," should be removed into the 'Sydney Cove," in consequence of Captain Birnie's statement of the bad condition of the former vessel, and having sometime since I obtained permission from the Naval Office to ship on board the. "Sydney Cove" for London, a quantity of oils, skins and wool, from the snow, "Commerce," the quantity to be reported to make out the. regular manifest, we take the liberty of submitting to your Excellency's consideration the great loss and inconvenience we will sustain if the two vessels are not permitted to be hauled alongside each other, and if we are obliged to unload the "Commerce" by boats, it will not only be a great expense to us, but will be the means of exposing the cargo to much damage, the casks being of a larger size than any boats we can conveniently carry. It has always been the custom on Lon- don river, when an officer from the Custom House is on board a vessel, to allow the owner of her to unload her in the most convenient and least expensive method to himself, and we, therefore, trust that you will not put us to so much expense and risk in removing the cargo by boats. With respect to the fees; they have been paid once. If they are exacter a second time we must pay it, and inquire into the right of demand hereafter; but as the master of the snow, "Commerce" has given us to understand that the cargo is in a damaged state, and the delay in removing will be of considerable injury to it, we request your Excellency will take the trouble to signify to us your pleasure whether the "Commerce" shall be hauled alongside the "Sydney Cove" or not, and also to order that some person may attend to see the cargo delivered from one vessel to the other, under any regulation your Excellency may direct. We beg leave to men tion to your Excellency that we want a few tons of oil for our consumption here, and will be much obliged if permission is granted for such casks to be landed as we may require on the usual entry. We have, etc., etc., S. LORD & CO. The Governor's pleasure was conveyed in the shape of a summons to appear be fore the Magistrate's Court, as reported in the 'Sydney Gazette,' of August 16, 1807. On Tuesday (August 11) a bench of magistrates was convened for the pur- pose of receiving under, consideration a letter on the evening before addressed to- his Excellency the Governor, by Messrs Lord, Kable and Underwood which was couched in improper terms, and highly derogatory to his Excellency's high rank and authority. The Bench, after a long deliberation, thought it proper to pass a censure on the same, and to order that the subscribing parties should be imprisoned for one kalendar month and each pay a fine of £100 to the King. The following is a copy of the order for the imprisonment of Messrs Simeon Lord, Henry Kable and James Underwood: — To Daniel McKay, Sydney. Receive into your custody Messrs. Lord, Kable and Underwood, commit- ted by a Bench of Magistrates for one kalendar month, for which this shall be your authority. RICHARD ATKINS, August 11, 1807. Judge Advocate. Undoubtedly, Henry Kable was a man of great energy and physical strength, proper- ties which he no doubt transmitted to his sons, especially Jack and George Kable; but one cannot very well forget what Mr. H. C. Antill said of Kable in his letter to Mr.  John Howe, of Windsor, viz., "Mr. Kable ' has had plenty of time to pay his debt (to Antill). They (Gaudry and Kable) seem to contract debts without any wish, to discharge same."

In the Church of England portion of the old Devonshire-street cemetery once stood a plain slab stone, with a slate inset in the side of the vault (I am quite unable to find out what became of that vault) on which was inscribed:— Sacred to the Memory of SIMEON LORD, Formerly of Macquarie Place, and late of Banks House, Botany Who departed this life, Jan'y 29th, 1840. Aged 69 years. The death of Simeon Lord is thus recorded in the "Sydney Gazette," of January 30, 1840: "DEATH.— Yesterday, at his late residence, Banks House, Botany, Simeon Lord, Esq., aged sixty-nine years; deeply lamented by a large circle of relations and friends." In the days of Bligh, perhaps no business was better known in Sydney than that that of Lord, Kable and Underwood. In Maclehose's 'Picture of Sydney,' in which . we find this reference:— 'We believe Lord to have been the first to attempt to manufacture the wool grown within the Colony but although we may have some doubts as to his priority as a manufacturer there can be no question as to his success upon examining a sample of the production of his looms, especially his blankets, they may properly be compared to those of the great mart so celebrated in England for this article; . . . As a clothier Mr. Lord has for a considerable time afforded employment to about sixty persons, and his productions from the staple commodity of the Colony, although confined to coarser description, fully confirm our re marks in respect to his blanket manufactory  Simeon Lord died a wealthy man, his estate being valued at £20,000. James Underwood, the third partner in the firm of Lord and Company, came out as a convict in the First Fleet, and after receiving his freedom, proved a very enterprising man. He had the credit of being the first to build a ship of considerable dimensions. This was the "King George", launched April 19, 1805. She was employed as a whaler, with a crew of 24 men, her measurement being 185 tons, her captain William Moody, and though built by Underwood was regarded as being the property of Kable and Co. In those days Sydney Cove ran up to Bridge- street. Underwood had a lease of land in Lower George-street on the east side, near Queen's Place. It was from the eastern extremity of this lease that the first locally-built ship was launched. Underwood's Buildings were for many years conspicuous land marks in George-street. Like many other traders of the time James Underwood was licensed to retail spirits in Sydney about the year 1810. Having made his fortune in New South Wales in the various enterprises in which he was engaged, Underwood returned to England.
In the "Guardian" newspaper, Sydney (not Sir Joynton Smith's "Guardian") of June 29th, 1844, the following advertisement of the decease of Mr. Under wood appears: — "DEATH.— At Tulse Hill, Surrey, On ' the 10th February, (1844) James Under wood, Esq., many years a resident of the . Colony, aged 67 years, deeply regretted by his friends and family."
I am of the opinion that James Under wood was really 76 years of age at the time of his death, for the reason that, if he was 67 years of age, he could only have been eleven years old at the time of his arrival with Governor Phillip (in bond) in January, 1788. I am also of opinion that Simeon Lord was much older than was stated on his epitaph inscription. On March 12, 1803, in the "Sydney Gazette" newspaper, Simeon Lord advertised a sale on account of whom it may concern . at the stores of Henry Kable at 10 o'clock, the list of goods being a varied one, from a needle to an anchor. These goods were auctioned by order of the ship's captains who had brought them out as a speculation. Kable's store stood probably, on the corner of George- street and Little Essex- street. but in olden times known as Surrey Lane, Brown Bear Lane and Essex Lane. Henry Kable appears to have had at one period a land grant farm of 30 acres, numbered No. 10 on the map, situated in the district of Petersham Hill, and on the south side of the road leading to Parramatta. The date of the grant was 1794. It was called "Cable's Farm." Its south-east corner is now occupied by the Summer Hill railway station, from whence the grant extended northerly about fifteen chains, and westerly about twenty- two chains. In the following year an area of fifteen and a half acres was added on the west, and later on, additional areas on the east and north fronting the Parramatta-road. The railway runs through the grant. Henry Kable, also ap pears to have had a farm, or was lessee of a place, situated at Lane Cove River, as Simeon Lord advertises the sale of a flock of goats there, on behalf of Kable, in one of the early issues of the "Gazette."

Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 20 May 1927




(For the 'Windsor and Richmond Gazette.')


I RESUME with pleasure the recital of Sidelights from Hawkesbury History,'.and desire to state that the story here chronicled is a true and authentic account of the -extraordinary circumstances which caused the- death of a beautiful young Currency lass, a Windsor girl, who passed away  on Thursday, October 17, 1816-nearly 112 years ago.

 The young woman to whom I refer, Mary Ezzy, aged about 16 years, was the daughter of Mrs. Jane Ezzy, a free woman and the foundress mother of all the Ezzy's in Australia. The father of the young woman was[William Ezzy I., an emancipist. They lived  together in the- house situated on the right of the Richmond-road, at Clarendon (going  towards Richmond). The back .portion of the  old original residence still stands, and for[many years was 'occupied by the -late Leslie E. Bowman's family, of which the late Late Miss 'Birdie' Bowman was a .member.. Mary Ezzy was in the brick kitchen of the house late in the evening, in the act of ironing a gown, when a flash of lightning struck her. The gown she was preparing  was to have been her wedding dress. A few  minutes prior to the flash of lightning which  killed the girl, a vehicle was in readiness  to set out for Sydney to bring her mother .(Mrs. Jane Ezzy) to Windsor for the ceremony, which was to have taken place, at the Church of England, Windsor,  on October 21, 1816: The vehicle was despatched to the city with the melancholy tidings of the young girl's death by misadventure, and returned with her mother to attend the funeral instead of the wedding.

AN OLD TIME RECORD -  From an old time record the writer takes the following excerpt: ' 'At Windsor, between two and three o'clock on the afternoon of 17th October (1816),' the atmosphere darkened and showers of rain set, in, accompanied by heavy thunder and vivid lightning, which .continued until about half past four o'clock. Mary Ezzy, the deceased young woman, had been ironing at the inside of a window in her father's house situated on the Richmond-road,- about a mile and a half from Windsor, and was rising from a chair when the flash struck her. Her brother, aged 20 years, and a young woman named Mary King, were also in the  kitchen.  The latter, alarmed by the sudden flash, had risen suddenly from a small form on which she had sat, and, being knocked down by the percussion, remained, for some moments senseless. John Ezzy, the brother of Mary Ezzy, was also knocked down by the force, but being the first  to recover, ran to raise his sister who. was lying prostrate on the floor. Miss King,  then also recovering from the state of stupor produced by the violence of the shock, perceived the head of the deceased, Miss Ezzy, to be nearly enveloped in a blaze, her  magnificent' head of hair having taken fire. She rushed to Mary's aid, assisted by John Ezzy, to quench the flame, but the poor  young girl was quite dead. Mr. Assistant.Surgeon James Mileham, who was immediately informed of the melancholy event, attended with every despatch, and in vain endeavored to restore Miss Ezzy to a state of being, of which a fatal instant had deprived her. A dog that lay beneath the seat from which Mary King had arisen was found dead, and but for Miss King's change of 'situation she, doubtless, would have experienced a 'Similar fate to that of Miss Ezzy. ;' The -breasts, the back, and one of the arms of the deceased were much scorched by the lightning's. flash-. The floor of the room was also scorched, in a direction leading from  the window to the spot on which the deceased was found lying, and ten panes of glass out of the twelve were shattered to small pieces.'
AN HISTORICAL RETROSPECT  - William Ezzy, the pioneer founder of the family, came as a ' bond settler by the ' 'Royal Admiral,' arriving on October 7, 1792. His wife, Miss Jane Ezzy, followed  shortly afterwards, and the couple, upon being reunited in New 'South Wales, settled at Windsor, where Mrs Jane Ezzy received a grant of land of 30 acres for farming purposes from Governor Hunter, in the year 1800. Mrs. Jane Ezzy's husband, William Ezzy also received, some years  later, a large area of land adjoining, as a grant. (The Barkers' old brick home of two stories stands on portion of same). 'Sefton Farm' was originally a grant presented to the Rev. Robert . Cartwright, the first resident chaplain of the Church of England, at Windsor. Be that as it' may, at least, three or four of the Rev. Cartwright's children were born in the historic Barker ,homestead, which is said to have been erected by that clergyman.It may interest members . of the ' Ezzy ' family throughout the Hawkesbury know that their ancestress is buried in the Church of 'England portion of the Bunnerong cemetery (La Perouse). The inscription over the pioneers grave reads thus: — Sacred To the memory of - . (Mrs.) JANE EAZZY Who departed this life August the 11th, 1821 Aged 51 years.

Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 25 May 1928



We regret to learn, that considerable damage has been done in the neighbourhood of Richmond by the overflowing of the River Hawkesbury, which disastrous event occurred, in that neighborhood, on the night of Tuesday the 6th, or early on the morn- ing of Wednesday the 7th instant. The rains which fell without intermission for several days previously, excited serious apprehensions that a flood would be the result, and we are sorry to have it to state, that those apprehensions were most painfully re- alised. On Wednesday morning the waters had completely carried away the banks of the river, and ascended as high as Richmond township, about the distance of mile and a half, sweeping away, in their impetuous progress families, dwellings, cat- tle, corn, wheat—every thing, in their course. Most of the settlers who lived near the banks re- treated to the high lands on Tuesday evening. The family of a person named Brown, however, consist- ing of his wife and two children, one aged thirteen, the other eleven years, not apprehending such im- minent danger, remained in their dwelling, and were swept away, together with it, by the sudden rush of the waters. Through the exertions of Mr. William Cox, and some of his servants, the woman and the children were rescued from the flood, but in so exhausted a state that they died next morning, and were buried together on Friday last. Brown himself, at the time this calamity took place was at some distance off, assisting in an endeavour to save a neighbour's wheat stack. Mr. Cox's coachman, an assigned servant, in attemping to rescue a horse belonging to his master from the water, was, unfor- tunately, drowned, and his body had not been found up to the time these particulars were transmitted to us. Corn stacks were floating in all directions with people clinging to them, fear- ful of instant death. A man named Connolly was reported to be drowned, but it was afterwards dis- covered that he had remained on a stack the whole of Tuesday night, and succeeded in reaching the high land, by swimming, on the following morning. Numerous snakes, washed from their retreats, were to be seen making for the high lands, and others which had been carried away by the flood, twining round the stalks of corn, or clinging to any other floating substance to which they could attach them- selves. One of very considerable dimensions, fas- tened on the arm of the man, Connolly, as he swam, but, happily, he managed to shake the rep- tile off, without sustaining any injury from it. These are only a few of the most particular acci- dents which occured in the immediate vicinity of Richmond ; but as the flood is already known to have extended with equal violence to a distance of ten miles up the river, we fear our next accounts will furnish additional intelligence of further des- truction of property, if not loss of life. The un- fortunate man, Brown, whose wife and children were drowned, it is calculated, had property swept away to the amount of £400. All the settlers who lived near the banks of the river, have suffered more or less ; so that, we apprehend, the distress which this calamitous event must occasion will be very widely and painfully felt.
Since writing the above, a gentleman who arrived in town on Monday last, from a visit to his farm at Windsor, obligingly furnished us with the following additional particulars :—
Several of the bridges on the Liverpool Road are washed away. That at Windsor still remains, but so completely inundated, that the tops only of the posts were observable ; the only method of passing over it being in a boat.—The whole of Freeman's Reach was under water, and Mr. Atkinsons's farm in the same predicament. The lagoon in front of that gentleman's house had 15 feet of water.—Mrs. Cobcroft was obliged to reside in her granary, the water having reached half way up her house : and even Mr. Blackman's which is situated on an eminence had received this unwelcome visitor.—The poor settlers were sadly deceived by the fine wea- ther on Wednesday last. Expecting the rain had subsided they set about opening their stacks for the purpose of drying, the grain, but bad no sooner fin- nished their job, than the rain again descended in torrents, and, in a few hours caused more destruction than the previous floods.—This part of the country is in a complete state of confusion.—All the farmers' hopes are blighted ; for, by this time, the incessant rains must have destroyed, or washed away, nearly the whole of their property.
Sydn gaz and nsw adver 15 apr 1830