Australian English Genealogy

Descendants of Andrew Byrne

Notes - Page 2


2.  Owen Byrne

1832 Given grants of land at Yarmouth Estate (Bundeena) of 400 acres and 60 acres (beachfront)

60 acres of land at Cabbage Tree Flat, Port Hacking well known as Owen Byrne's grant. Much of this land is good rich soil, easy of cultivation, and eligible for agriculatural purposes, whilst the situation, with upwards of 30 chains frontage of the waters of Port Hacking, and a good hard sandy beach, renders it pecularily available as a fishing station. Terms at sale Title, Grant
Source: The SMH 23 Sep 1862

The 400 acre land grant was sold in 1874 to Harold Keating
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1853 Appointed Poundkeeper at Bungendore
1860 Postmaster at Bungendore
1864 Resigned as Poundkeeper for Bungendore. His son Michael took up the position.

 

18. Michael Joseph Byrne

Accidently drowned at Turallo Creek


Jane Willbyrne Steward

Came free


5. Hannah Byrne

OBITUARY.
Mrs. Hannah Byrne.
On Tuesday, May 17, the remains of Mrs. Hannah, Byrne, were interred in the Catholic portion of Rookwood Cemetery. The deceased lady, who was the eldest daughter of the late Andrew Byrne, Haymarket, was in her 88th year, and was born in 1817 at her parents' residence, O'Connell and Bent streets, Sydney. She was married in 1836 at St. Joseph's Chapel, adjoining old St. Mary's, by the late Rev. Father Therry, to Mr. William Byrne, a native of Parramatta, who survives her. The deceased resided at her late residence, 37 Prince street, for the past 41 years, and leaves three sons and four daughters, all of whom, with her husband (who is in his 96th year), and numerous grandchildren and friends, were present at the burial. The late Mrs. Byrne was greatly respected by all who knew her for her gentle and benevolent disposition, and passed away after an illness of some duration, consoled by the ministrations of the Rev. Father Piquet, S.M. The principal mourners at the funeral were Messrs. William Byrne (husband), William A., Geo. and Albert Byrne (sons), Mesdames E. Boyd, J. Kelly, W. M. Fitzgerald and Miss Sara Byrne (daughters).— R.I.P.
Source: The Catholic Press 26 May 1904


William Byrne

DIED AT NINETY-EIGHT.
William Byrne, a Parramatta Native.
One of Sydney's oldest residents, Mr. William Byrne, died at his home, 37 Princess-street, city, on Saturday moming last, at an early hour. He was 98 years of age, and until 9 months ago had enjoyed good health. The Rev. Father P. Piquet, S.M., attended him during his illness, and administered the last rites of the Church. Deceased's parents arrived in Sydney in 1798. His father was a member of the 102nd Regiment, and died in June, 1808, the late William Byrne being born on October 24 of the same year at the military headquarters, Parramatta. When four years old, with his mother, who had meantime re-married, deceased went to Appin, where he remained until his 14th year, when he went to Liverpool to learn the tanning and currying trade. He came to Sydney in 1819, and remained here until 1827 when he went to Lake George, where his brother-in-law, Mr. Kenny, had a station. He returned to Sydney in 1830, and established a boot and shoe importing business in George-street, near Liverpool- street. which he continued for 30 years. The city toll-bar at that time was al- most at the corner of George and Goul- burn streets. He retired from business in 1863, and had been living in Princess street — though not in the same house in which he died— since. He retained pos- session of his mental faculties till the end, and his memories of old times in Sydney and the country were many and very interesting. He remembered the days when the early colonists availed themselves of the assigned convict system. He was a friend of the late James Tyson, whose career he was familiar with from the days he was an overseer on £30 a year till he died a millionaire. The late Mr. Byrne was a well known parishioner of St. Patrick's, and was acquainted with the late Archbishop Polding and Father Therry. He was married' in 1836 in St. Joseph's Chapel, adjoining old St. Mary's, by Father Therry, to his late wife, who died over two years ago, in her 88th year. He was present at the laying of the foundation-stone of St. Patrick's Church in 1840, being then a member of the parochial committee. The longevity of the late Mr. Byrne's family was by no means restricted to himself. His second sister died when she was a hundred all but five months. He was comparatively active until about a year ago, and was well liked by his many friends and acquaintances.
The funeral took place on Sunday afternoon, and there was a large attendance, despite the short notice. The Rev. Father Piquet, S.M., read, prayers prior to the removal of the remains from the house, and also delivered a short panegyric. Four generations were represented at the graveside. The "Catholic Press" publishes an excellent photograph of the deceased, who was a robust-looking old gentleman and a credit to the town of his birth.
Source: The Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate 20 Oct 1906

Had a boot and shoe store in George St near the Peacock Inn in the 1830's