548. Mary Isabel Whalan
The Church of Christ, Loftus Park, was beautifully decorated on Saturday afternoon, Ooctober 26, with 200 people present, for the wedding of Miss Mary (Mem), eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. T. C. Whalan, of McArthur-street, Guildford, to Mr. Jack Wagner, eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. J. Wagner, of Meaken- street, Merrylands. The bride entered the church on the arm of her father, wearing a trained gown of ivory satin, cut on princess lines, with a lace cowl neckline, and long cowl sleeves of satin and lace. The skirt, neckline and sleeves were trimmed with silver flowers. The long two-tiered tulle veil was edged with silver lace, and was held in place by a pleated tulle halo and coronet of orange blossoms and lily of the valley. Scattered over the surface of the veil were sprays of lily of the valley. The bride carried a bouquet of white watsonias, carnations, mock orange, bridal bell and golden rose. She was attended by four bridesmaids: Misses Alma Warren, Dorothy Wagner (sister of the bridegroom), Mary Baddeley and Joan Bingley. They wore frocks of deep sky blue morocain, cut on pretty lines, with a slight (train, the back panel of the skirt inset with frills, and the open shoulder lines were encircled with silver flowers, while the back arid front of the pointed bodice were trimmed with tiny silver loops. They wore blue tulle and flowered halos, with a base of silver leaves. Their blue gauntlet gloves were of the same shade. as their frocks, and they carried bouquets of blue delphiniums, lupins, cornflowers and pansies. The two little flower girls, Barbara Whalan (sister of the bride) and Bonny Wagner (sister of the bridegroom), and the little trainbearer, Alice Crofts, were dressed in dainty ground-length frocks of blue tulle, over matching taffeta slips; the skirts being trimmed with frills and silver sequins, while the waists were encircled with silver flowers and leaves. They wore haloes to match those of the bridesmaids'. Their little clippers were of blue and silver kid, trimmed with silver rosettes. The flower girl carried a silver basket of delphiniums and pansies, tied with silver ribbon, while the tiny train bearer carried a posy of blue delphiniums, forget-me-nots and silver leaves. Mr. Rowley Whalan (brother of the bride) was the best man, while Mr. Frank Wrakeley acted in the capacity of groomsman.
The pastor, Mr. Clydesdale, officiated, and during the ceremony Miss Stenning (friend of toe bride) beautifully rendered the solo "All Joy be Thine." While the register was being signed Miss Nellie Torode sang sweetly "Because." Mr. Iva Torode officated at the organ.
After the wedding 100 guests were received at McKay's, Parramatta, by Mrs. Whalan (mother of the bride), who wore a frock of grey corded morocain, trimmed with blue, and a blue hat to tone, with blue accessories. Her flowers were a corsage spray of blue and silver. She was assisted by Mrs. Wagner (mother of the bridegroom), frocked in color similar to that of the bride's mother.
The bride's travelling frock was of brown tree-bark, trimmed with tangerine, With hat and accessories to tone. The tables at the breakfast were decorated with sliver flowerpots containing blue artificial tulips. The beautiful three tier wedding cake was cut by the bride, assisted by the bridegroom, and handed around in the usual manner. The music, which was supplied by Mrs. Dixon, of Guildford (piano) and Mr. Arthur Channon, of Granville (drums), was very much appreciated. The whole of the color scheme of the wedding was carried out in blue and silver and grey. The entire bridal party's frocking, headwear and veil were made by the bride.
The bride acted as organist, and the groom as song leader, for the last two years, in the church at which they were married.
Source: The Biz (Fairfield)1 Nov 1935
549. Rowland James Whalan
Filed for divorce in 1947
559. Leila Ann Whalan
Death listed as Osmond