Australian English Genealogy

Descendants of Daniel Smallwood

Notes - Page 2

George Buckridge

Old Bailey Proceedings - Trial of GEORGE BUCKERIDGE

GEORGE BUCKERIDGE, Theft, grand larceny, 9th April 1823.

574. GEORGE BUCKERIDGE was indicted for stealing, on the 26th of February , a coat, value 15 s.; a waistcoat, value 5 s.; a pair of trowsers, value 7 s.; two pair of stockings, value 5 s.; two neckerchiefs, value 2 s., and two handkerchiefs, value 2 s. , the goods of Andrew Helder Doncaster.
ANDREW HELDER DONCASTER: I am an ironmonger ; and live in Cambden-row, Bethnal-green. These articles were in my chest, which was unlocked; I missed them out of it on the 27th of February, about nine o'clock in the morning. Hopkins was bringing it to Walbrook for me. I have not found them.
JOHN HOPKINS . I am errand boy to Mr. Morgan, wholesale ironmonger - Mr. Doncaster is his clerk. On the 26th of February, I had his box on the truck about a quarter before eight o'clock at night. The prisoner came up to me near a doctor's shop in the Bethnal-green-road, and asked how far I was going, I said to the Mansion-house - he said he would push behind for me as far as he was going; I was glad of his assistance, as it was very heavy. I put the handle down to have a rest in Church-street , and, on turning round, saw him running away with something under his arm. I pursued him a good way, calling Stop thief! - he got away; I found a sheet and handkerchief laying by the chest. An officer came up and put them in - he helped me with it to Walbrook. Mr. Doncaster was very ill, but when he recovered he missed these things out.
Cross-examined by MR. PHILLIPS. Q. Was the trunk closed while you went in pursuit - A. Yes; and when he came up it was well corded. I found the cord cut - I never saw him before, but am sure of him - my back was towards him when he was pushing - it was dusk; but there was gas lights. I saw him again in about an hour; I pointed him out myself - he opened the turnpike-gate for me, and then I saw him plainly, as there are two gas lights there. The officers took me to about five public-houses to look for him. I described him as having a velvet collar, a flock hat, and being marked with the smallpox.
ANN DONCASTER . I am the wife of the prosecutor, and put his things in the trunk, and when it got to Walbrook these were missing - it was corded up.
JOHN ISAACSON . I am a constable of Bethnal-green; I heard the alarm and came out of my house, and saw the boy, who said the trunk was robbed, and the thief had gone down a turning - I found the cord cut. He said the man had a very rusty velvet collar, and a flock hat, and was pitted very much with the small-pox. Gibbs and I went with him and delivered the box at Walbrook, then returned to Bethnal-green - we went to four or five public-houses, and when we got to the Bladebone public-house, there were nine or ten people in the tap-room. The boy went into the tap-room before me; he came out and said, the man who did it was standing in the corner smoking his pipe. I went in and took the prisoner - he denied it; he answered the description given by the boy. I found 10 s. 2 d. on him.
Cross-examined. Q. Did you see no other man in a velvet collar and flock hat - No; not answering the description given by the boy - he cried when he went home to his master and seemed much agitated. The cord was not cut clean - it must have been done with some instrument; I found no instrument upon the prisoner - none of the property has been found.
WILLIAM GIBBS. I am an officer; Isaacson applied to me; I saw the boy safe home. In an hour and a half we went with the boy to different public-houses - he described the man to me; and as I knew the prisoner, it answered the description - he fixed upon nobody until hegot to the Bladebone; we stopped at the door and sent him in; he came out and said,
"The young man who robbed me is smoking his pipe." I went in and called the prisoner out by his name - he denied the charge - he lives in Gibraltar-walk, about a hundred yards from where he ran away from the truck.
Cross-examined. Q. You took him at the public-house next to his lodgings - A. Yes.
GUILTY . Aged 20.
Transported for Seven Years .


Sarah Hobbs



A romance of the early days of New South Wales has been recalled by the discovery of some old papers at Windsor in the course of a search for documents bearing upon the claim for the Hobbs fortune. THE story told by the documents has been authenticated by Mr,. H. Greentree, of Marsden-street, Parramatta, a descendant of the Hobbs family. Robert Hobbs, who had a grant of land at Pitt Town, had nine children, and the youngest was a very beautiful and high spirited girl. She fell in love with a comparatively poor Hawkesbury native in the early thirties of last century. Robert Hobbs and his wife Bridget, however, would not sanction, the match, and coerced the girl into a marriage with a comparatively wealthy man named Myers. As they entered the Hobbs home after the wedding the triumphant bridegroom grabbed his unwilling bride and kissed her "I've got you at last!" he exulted. 'Have you?' she replied, and she went to her bedroom, ostensibly to change her frock. Immediately she slipped into riding dress, climbed out of the window, and securing her horse from the stables saddled it and rode to her lover. Later she sent word by a messenger that she would not return. The old papers do not tell the outcome of the romance, but the girl left a number of descendants, and documents in their possession show that she and her lover lived happily on his farm near Windsor. Both were buried in the historic old churchyard of St. Matthew's.
Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 13 Feb 1931

William Alexander Grono

Occupation: Shipwright

21. John Grono

One of the Hawkesbury pioneers, John Grono, died at the residence of his niece, Mrs. C. Karlsson, Grono Park, between Pitt Town and Cattai, on Monday. The deceased was a grandson of Captain John Grono, R.N. the first boat builder, on the Hawkesbury River, who came to New South Wales in 1788, and died at Grono Park, on May 4, 1847. In another part of this issue we publish some interesting particulars of the descendants of Captain Grono. The subject of this notice was a son of William Grono, was 90 years of age, and remained single all his life. His brother, William is 80 years of age, and resides at Hominy Point, Hawkesbury River. Three sisters are dead. The funeral took place on Tuesday afternoon, the cortege consisting of a string of boats towed by a motor launch. It proceeded to the Ebenezer Presbyterian cemetery, where all the Grono family who have passed away are buried. The funeral arrangements were carried out by Mr. J.W. Chandler, and the coffin was carried from the wharf to the cemetery by the following relatives and friends, in relays: Messrs. E. Eggleton, senr., E. Eggleton, jun., J. Miller, T. Miller, R. Everingham, A.L. White, W.L. Smith, W. Brown. There was a large concourse of people at the cemetery from different parts of the Hawkesbury district. The service was conducted by Rev. D. Baird. Like all the rest of the Grono family, the late John Grono was a man of fine upright character, and very highly respected. He lived the whole of his life on the Hawkesbury River, and his memory will long be revered by a large circle of relatives, and a larger circle of friends.
Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 26 Jan 1917

24. Hester Maria (Esther) Grono

THE death of Miss Grono was briefly referred to in our last issue. Deceased, who had been an invalid for some years, died at her late residence, Grono Park, near Pitt Town, (formerly the home of Captain Grono, of the Royal Navy, who was her grandfather), on Thursday last. The late Miss Grono was widely known throughout the Hawkesbury District, and was held in very high esteem, a fact which was testified to by the large number who attended the funeral, and by the many beautiful floral tributes sent by friends. She was the owner of the Grono Park Estate, and was, 66 years of age at the time of her death. The funeral cortege proceeded by water to the Ebenezer Presbyterian cemetery, where it was was joined by a large number of other persons. The interment was conducted by Rev R Edgar, and the funeral arrangements were carried out by Mr T Primrose.
Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 28 May 1898