Australian English Genealogy

Descendants of Edward Garth

Notes - Page 3

90. Thomas Inches

Mr Thomas Inches.
The angel of death has removed from our midst another of the old and most highly esteemed residents of the Huon, in the person of Mr Thomas Inches, of Shipwrights Point. The deceased gentle man was practically a life-long resident of the Huon, being the second son of Mr Thomas Inches, sen., one of the earliest of the pioneer settlers of the district, who, in the fifties of last century established a shipbuilding business at Shipwrights' Point— a name which he gave to that well-known headland of the river. For many years the deceased gentleman was Government Assessor for the Huon, and later acted as Government inspector of timber exports, it being generally conceded that he was one of the ablest judges of timber in the State. He always took a keen interest in all matters relating to the timber industry, evidence of this being provided by the presence at his late residence at Shipwrights Point of a comprehensive collection of specimens of foreign and colonial timbers. He also took a keen and active interest in aquatics, notably yachting, and for many years was a useful member of the
committee of the Huon Regatta Association. His late residence was frequently made the meeting place of yachtsmen from all quarters, while many of the officers from the steamers that called at Port Huon for timber cargoes, have on frequent occasions stated how eagerly they looked forward to spending an evening with the deceased gentleman! Nor was the pleasure it afforded them soon forgotten, for he was the recipient of communications from the various distant corners of the globe whither his sea-faring friends travelled, Recalling memories of the enjoyable evenings they had passed together. Mr Inches leaves a widow and eleven children to mourn their loss. Numerous floral tributes and messages of condolence were received. - The mortal remains of the deceased gentleman were interred yesterday, the cortege being a very large one. Residents from all parts of the district, and a number of friends and relatives from Hobart, who were conveyed to Shipwrights' Point by the S.S. Ivy, were in attendance at the graveside, and the representative character of the gathering was evidence of the high esteem in which the deceased was held.
Source: Huon Times 22 Jul 1911

James McLaren

Arrived in 1845 SHIPWRIGHT'S POINT
On Sunday afternoon, 7th iust., the grave closed over the mortal remains of one who has been a Huon settlor of 45 years standing, Mr. James McLaren, of Shipwright's Point, He had been in feeble health for some time, but the end came suddenly, and he passed away quietly at the ripe age of 74 yoars. A native of Perthshire, Scotland, he arrived in Tasmania in 1845, and shortly afterwards commenced shipbuilding on the Huon River, at Desolation Bay, in partnership with his fellow countrymen, Messrs. A. Harley, J. Bradley, and T. luches. They launched the barge Caledonia, and subsequently Rose, Thistle, and others well known to the Huon waters. In partnership with his brother-in-law, T. Inches, he soon after established an extensive shipbuilding business at Shipwright's Point (which gave rise to the name), and carried it on successfully for many years, having built, amongst many other barges, the Crest of the Wave, Dashing Wave, etc. At one time he, was one of the largest landholders in the district, but misfortune over took him, which he bravely faced. He married a daughter of the late James Garth, who, with three sons and six daughters survives him. It can be truly said of honest James McLaren that he was a kind filend and an obliging neighbour, and that he leaves not an enemy behind him. A great number of friends and acquaintances followed the remains to their last resting place, Rev. Webster, of Geeveston, officiating.
Source: The Mercury 15 Jun 1891

22. John Walter Garth

Master Mariner

23. Sarah Emily Garth

Mrs. B. H. Evans (nee Garth), who recently celebrated her 90th birthday In South Australia, is a native of Tasmania, having been born at Kermandie, River Huon. She married Captain B. H. Evans, who was then master of the schooner Caledonia, owned by Mr James Garth, brother to Mrs. Evans. Mr. Garth had a sawmill and shipbuilding yard at Port Cygnet. Mrs. Evans has been residing in-South Australia since 1874. and Captain Evans, who died three years ago at the age of 89 years, was engaged in the shipping trade of South Australia for about 60 years.
Mr. J. A. Fitzherbert. who is a native of Launceston, where he was bom in 1892, has been appointed by the council of the Adelaide University to the Hughes Chair of Classics and Comparative Philology in succession to Professor Darnley Naylor, who resigned last year Professor Fitzherbert graduated at the Sydney University In 1913 with first class honours and University medals in classics and mathematics. Later in the same year he entered Trinity College Cambridge, and in the following year was elected to a senior scholarship in classics. After the war he returned to Cambridge, and In 1920 was placed In the first class in the classical trispos Part II., with a mark of special distinction in ancient philosophy, since 1922 he has been lecturer in Greek at the University, Edinburgh. For some years Professor Fitzherbert has been preparing an edition of Plato's "Craty. lus," and the work is now nearing completion. He was engaged in war service from August, 1914, to April, 1919 and gained the M.C. Professor Fitzherbert's father was for some years city engineer to the Launceston Municipal Council.
Source: The Mercury 13 Jun 1928

24. Edward Garth

1908 License of the Emu Hotel was transferred from George Williamson (son-in-law) to Edward Garth

Edward Garth, licensee of the Emu Hotel, Parramatta, was charged with neglecting to keep his licensed premises free from offensive matter. Mr. Atkinson for the defendant. Inspector Grugeon deposed that the defendant was the licensee of the Emu Hotel, George-street, Parramatta. Witness visited the premises on tho 9th of July. There were a number of workmen about. At the end of a shed in the yard there were two wooden closets- — end to end — very dilapidated. The places were very dirty indeed. The Inspector's evidence on this point was most emphatic. The witness deposed further that the closets were not behind an old, dilapidated cottage. The defeondant stated that the closetse belonged to the old cottage (not now used in connection with the hotel). There were three closets on the hotel premises, apart from those about which the Inspe tor had complained. Was away when the Inspector called. The closets complained of were not used by the people belonging to the hotel. There wore a number of men working about the yard. Had to lock one closet up. Washed the closet out himself till he went away — for 12 days (for a trip). Laura Williamson, wife of the former licsensee of the Emu Hotel, and now living at the hotel, deposed that the Inspector called down and made a complaint about two outbuildings. Those out buildings were not used in connection with the hotel. There was a fence dividing those buildings off from the hotel property. There was no filth in the yard of the hotel on the 9th of July. To Inspoctor Grugeon: There was no fence there on the 9th of July. Saw no 'filth in tho yard. There was none. She did not pay the sanitary fees in connection with the two closets. A letter was produced. The witness admitted that it was in her handwriting. Janet Sims, spinster, deposed that she inspected the yard of the hotel on the 9th of July. There was no filth there. The case was adjourned till Wednesday. The S.M. said that he would like the Sergeant (who did most of the local inspecting) to be present then, and he would, like to get information as to who paid the sanitary fees in respect of those two outbuildings which had been referred to more particularly in that case.
Source: The Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate 9 Jly 1908

THE ILL-FATED 'EMU.' . Edward Garth (late licensee of the late Emu Hotel) was charged with keeping his licensed promises — the said hotel, whilst the license was in force — in a dirty condition. Sergeant Lucas, sub-inspector under the Liquor Act for the licensing district of Parramatta, deposed that the matter had come before the Court several times. The defendant appeared by attorney the first time. Since then the case had been adjourned by consent till that day (Monday). Word had been sent to the defendant of the adjournment. Mrs. Williamson, who was in charge of the hotel, in formed witness that Mr. Garth had been at home since the service of the sum mons. On the 17th of September last, at 2.30 p.m., he inspected the premises of the Emu Hotel, situated in George street, Parramatta. Found two out houses, for the convenience of the public, in a dirty state. The dining-room was in a filthy dirty state. A pool of water was lying on the floor; and there were heaps of filth on the floor. Asked for the licensee, Mr. Garth. Was informed that he was not at home. Saw his daughter, Mrs. Williamson, who was then in charge of the premises. Showed her the filthy condition of the dining-room. She made an explanation; and told a girl to clean up the place. Understood that the defendant had abandoned the promises and had left the district. The defendant was fined £5, with 6s costs ; or two months' imprisonment. THE DOG. The case against Bertram McGregor (for being the keeper of a dog that had attacked a person) was adjourned till tho 21st of October.
Source: The Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate 21 Oct 1908

124. Benjamin Humphrey G Garth

November 10.
CHILD DROWNED IN LAKE MACQUARIE.—On Tuesday, the 6th instant, at Warawiba, a small free selection on the south east shore of the Lake Macquarie, in the Brisbane Water district, an infant named Benjamin Humphrey Garth, son of Edward Garth, a free selector, was accidentally drowned. The child only thirteen months of age, and just able to run alone —was injudiciously left all day by his parents at Warawiba, in the charge of his eldest brother, Murray Garth, with two other children (respectively aged 5 and 7 years) whilst Edward Garth and Mrs. Garth, the parents of the child, both went away to work in the bush. The boy Murray, an intelligent lad of about 9 years of age, was not only specially directed to mind the youngest child, but was also charged to see that the fire in the smoke house, where some fish were being cured, did not go out. The parents left the children at home at about 8 o'clock in the morning, and at about 11 a.m., whilst the two other little children, Lillias and David Garth were away looking for a hen's nest, Murray Garth inadvertently lost sight of his youngest brother for a few moments, at the time when he went to pick up some chips for the fire in the smoke house. On his return to where he had left his brother Benjamin near the smoke house, about twenty yards from the edge of the lake, he could not see the baby anywhere; so he went and searched for him up at the cottage residence, standing about fifty yards back from the lake. Not finding the child there, or anywhere about, and becoming much alarmed, he ran down to the jetty—a plank with supports for the use of the boat. Here he saw his little brother lying in the shallow water with his face downwards, floating as if he had fallen in off the plank. The boy waded into the water and brought his little brother out, undressed him, immediately, and tried to bring him to, but he could not. not knowing what to do. The baby was still warm when Murray thus got him out, but he was quite dead. From the time that he last saw Benjamin near the smoke house to when he found him floating in the water might (as Murray thought) be about half-an-hour. None of the children had gone into the water that day to bathe, nor for some time previously—not since two sharks had been seen near the boat jetty. The poor boy placed the dead body of his brother, in the cradle, in the cottage, and sat with his brother and sister outside, until about sundown, when the parents came home. The father, a respectable and intelligent person, went into Cooranbong on the following day (Wednesday), the 7th instant, and reported the death to Constable R. Gamble. At daybreak, on the morning of the 8th instant, the coroner, Mr. Edward Reeve, P.M., with a jury of five householders, rode to the southern end of the lake, near to Warawiba, a very secluded spot, there being only one settler in the neighbourhood, on the western side of the lake, about eleven or twelve miles from Cooranbong. On arriving at Bridge's selection, on the west side of the lake, they saw Garth's boat taking the body northwards (up the lake), towards Cooranbong, for burial, decomposition having rapidly set in. This removal of the body before the inquest, appears to have taken place through some mistake on the part of the distracted father. The coroner and jury returned at once to Cooranbong, where, at about midday, (the body having been brought up by Dora Creek) the inquest was duly held at the temporary court-house, and a verdict returned in accordance with the evidence. The testimony of the father was, of course, taken on oath, and the boy Murray was closely questioned by the coroner and the jurors; but he was considered to be too young to be sworn. The coroner having summed up, the foreman of the jury (Mr. T. Russell, the postmaster) said the jurors were quite satisfied that the child was accidentally drowned, but, nevertheless, deemed it their duty to state that they considered the parents were to blame for leaving the deceased for so many hours in the charge of so young a child. A rider was added to the verdict of accidentally drowned, to that effect. Both of the parents (present at the inquest), appeared to be overwhelmed with grief.
Source: Australian Town and Country Journal 17 Nov 1877