Australian English Genealogy

Descendants of Edward Merrick


(Page 2)

10. Sarah Merrick

There passed away on the 19th inst., at her late residence, North Richmond, Mrs. Sarah Richardson, wife of Mr. James Richardson, at the ripe age of 87 years. The deceased lady was a daughter of the late John Merrick. At the age of 21, in 1858 she married, in Windsor, Mr. James Richardson, who, thou well over the allotted span of three score years and ten is a man of great vitality and activity. He is a respected elder of the Presbyterian Church. The issue of their marriage was a family of 11 children, viz., Sarah (Mrs. J. Sherwood, Barraba); Emily (Mrs. Walker, Croydon) ; John Thomas (Canter bury) ; James; Alice (Mrs. Hyslop, Croydon) ; Clara (Mrs. Watts,- Sydney) ; Roland (Graf ton); William Charles (Kiama) ; Frederick (Auburn); Gertrude (Mrs. Burgess Douglass, North Richmond); Jessie, at home. Two of the daughters have 11 children each, and the total number of grandchildren is 66, with 42 great' grand children. The late Mrs. Richardson had been laid up for about nine years, and was totally blind for the same period. Before she became physically incapacitated she gave much help to any who were sick or in trouble, and for all her benevolent Christian work she was greatly beloved. The remains were interred in he Richmond Presbyterian cemetery, Rev. W. R. Milne conducting the beautiful burial service. Mr. Price was the undertaker.
Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 28 Sep 1923

13. Louisa Merrick

AT the ripe age of 82 years, Mrs. Louisa Douglass wife of Mr . William Douglass, a well-known orchardist of 'Frankfield,' Kurrajong, crossed the Great Divide on Tuesday. The deceased was a dear old lady and was greatly beloved by all who knew her. She was born at North Richmond, and was a daughter of the late John Merrick.
At the age or 30 years she was married at Richmond to Mr. William Douglass, and the couple have been living in the Kurrajong district all their lives. They reared a family of three sons and two daughters, one daughter predeceasing her mother. Those living are: — Reginald, Florence, Harold, Carl, and Gertrude. The funeral took place On Wednesday, the remains being interred in the Presbyterian cemetery, Richmond.. Rev. W. R. Milne carried out the last sad rites.
Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 22 Jul 1927

William Douglass


88. Violetta May Merrick

Killed by a train near Thornleigh railway station

17. Henrietta Merrick

ETHERINGTON -May 3 1918, at her late residence, 49 Mort-street Moore Park. Henrietta beloved wife of Samuel Etherington, aged 60 years. At rest
Source: The SMH 4 May 1918

Samuel Joseph Etherington

In the Summons Division of the Central Police Court yesterday Samuel Etherington, a clerk, was proceeded against on an information charging him with using a room for betting purposes. Constable Griffiths stated that he visited a shop in Pitt street on August 17 and made a bet with the defendant, who took the money and gave him a ticket. Defendant pleaded not guilty, and denied having written the ticket or having taken the money. He was fined with £100, with 7s 4d costs, in default six months imprisonment. Notice of appeal was given.  Similar information were laid against Meyer Levy, Henry Edwards, Michael O'Donnell and Frank O'Neill. The defendants were clerks and it was stated that it was their first offence. A fine of £20, or two months in gaol, was imposed in each case.
The SMH 13 Sep 1904


The Full Court was engaged to-day determining other appeals from betting convictions. In December last, John Dunn, Charles Spencer, Herbert Etheringtpn, and Samuel Etheiington, were proceeded against by Inspector Underwood, in connection with a betting raid that had been made on premises in Pitt-street.  Dunn was charged with being the deeper of the place, and was convicted before Mr. Payten, S.M., but, yesterday the Full Court set the conviction aside. The other accused were charged with having been found in a gaming house without lawful excuse, and were convicted and fined: They were subsequently charged with assisting Dunn in the management of the place, and they were again convicted, Spencer being fined £25, or three months, Herbert Etheringtcn, £40, or four months, and Samuel Etherington, £80 or six months. 
Against the latter convictions they now appealed, on the grounds that they should not have been convicted, inasmuch as they had previously been tried and convicted on the same facts of another offence, that the evidence of the conviction of Dunn was wrongly admitted, that there was no evidence that the room was used by Dunn, as alleged, and there was no evidence that the Etheringtons assisted in conducting the business of the room as alleged. Mr. Lamb, instructed by Messrs. Crick and Carroll, appeared in support of the appeal, and Mr. Blacket, by the Crown Solicitor, to oppose. It was argued by Mr. Lamb that there could not be a series of prosecutions on one set of facts. Where another offence was charged under the same circumstances which surrounded a previous conviction, it practically amounted to a case of former conviction.  At the conclusion of argument, judgment was reserved.
Source: Evening News 24 Feb 1905

121. Robert Cooper Price

Occupation: Saddler/Carpenter

Death of Mr. Robert Price
It is our sad duty to have to record the death of Mr Robert Cooper Price, oldest son of the late Mr and Mrs Charles J Price, of Richmond, the sad event transpiring at the late residence of deceased, Tindale Street, Penrith, on Thursday morning of last week (28th June). Deceased had been under treatment for eye trouble for some weeks, and recently returned from the Clinical Hospital, Sydney, purposing to later on have the treatment for his affection of the eyes (cataract) renewed. Shortly after returning home, however, he was over taken with a severe paralytic stroke, to which he succumbed, hemorrhage of the brain, we understand, being the direct cause of his death. The late Mr Price had had a varied and active career. He attended the private school of Mr Hogsflesh, Richmond, in his boyhood, the same gentleman (late Mr Hogsflesh) having been, also, the preceptor of Mr Price's parents. When in his eighth year deceased accompanied his uncle (the late Mr John Price) on a journey to Geelong, Victoria, so started very early in life upon what was destined to be an adventurous and interesting life history. While yet in his teens he accompanied his father on carrying journeys to the western centres and goldfields, and eventually followed the engrossing occupation of a prospector and miner being at Hill End, Isabella, Rocky Mount, Temora, Gulgong and other rushes. At Gulgong his party operated the next claim to the one out of which six partners drew £78,000 of gold— £13,000 each —in a relatively short period. Mr Price often instanced this happening as an example or the varied luck of miners. At the outbreak of the Mount Brown rush, near Milparinka, the deceased resolved to test his chances at the newly discovered field, on the outskirts of Australian 'civilization' at the time, and labored there with varying fortune for some months. Supplies were difficult to obtain, and Mr Price related having had to ride, on one occasion, on horseback, some 50 miles for half-cwt. of flour, and had to follow very subtle methods so as to get back to camp safely with his cargo, and avoid being held up with his supplies by people on short commons at the rush. In 1879 he was one of a party which made a prospecting expedition to New Guinea taking considerable equipment along. Unfortunately, however, the whole party were stricken with the malaria fever and ague, after a brief period of prospecting, in which they discovered encouraging signs of alluvial gold, but were glad, eventually, to get away, considerably broken in health, from the tropical fever-haunted Island of the far north. Mr Price observed that the party had no trouble or interference from the coastal natives while at New Guinea, and formed a high opinion or their ('the Papuans') intelligence. Deceased was a splendid bushman, and of a most reliant and kindly disposition. He could claim the distinction of being a thoroughly 'acclimatised' Australian native by heredity, 'fully distilled,' as his parents and grandparents, on both sides of the genealogical table, were native born. Mr Price's mother was a member of the noted Martin family, one of the pioneering 'elements' of the Hawkesbury District, scions of which family took up country also in the early thirties in the Cobbora district and other outback parts of the State.  The interment was in the family burial place, St. Stephen's Cemetery, on Friday afternoon, 29th ultimo, Rev M G Hinsby officiating at the grave side. The funeral arrangements were carried out by Mrs John J Price and son.
Source: Nepean Times 7 Jly 1917

123. George William Price


Death of Mr. George Price
Mr. George William Price died on Tuesday evening, at his sister's residence, Tindale Street, Penrith, after a brief illness. Deceased had not been seriously ill up till within a couple of days of his death. Last week he was about 'town as usual, but he had contracted a severe cold, from which he became worse, and on Monday was obliged to take to his bed. He passed away on the following evening. The late Mr. Price, who was 74 years of age, was a native of Richmond, and was a son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Charles James Price. His young manhood was spent in various parts of the State, principally in the west, and 30 years ago ho came to Penrith, where he had continued to reside since. He was widely known in this district, where he had won the good opinions of all classes, young and old, by his sterling character and quiet and unassuming disposition. A fine trait of his was revealed in the way in which he earned out his duties of general manager and supervisor of the general cemetery at Kingswood, which position he had held since its establishment. Under his sympathetic care it was preserved in the well-ordered condition that is befitting God's Acre, and probably no cemetery in the State was better looked after than was that at Kingswood under Mr. Price's supervision. Over and over again visitors and local folk have commended its fine appearance. Deceased was a single man, and is survived by three sisters and seven brothers, viz.: Mrs. Edwards (Enlield), Mrs. .T. Giles (Oampseo), Miss Ann Price(Penrith), .Edwin (Gunnedah), Alfred (Guyong), Walter (Sydney), Harry (Millthorpe), Thomas, Charles, and Frederick (Penrith).  The funeral took place on Thursday afternoon, the remains being laid to rest in the sacred field at Kingswood to which he had for so many years given such devoted thought and untiring attention. Rev. O. G. Dent conducted the service.
Source: Nepean Times 2 Jun 1923

124. Thomas Martin Price