Australian English Genealogy

Descendants of Edward Merrick


(Page 18)

728. Amos Jackson

The death occurred in the local hospital, on Monday last of Mrs. Jackson wife of Mr. Amos Jackson, and daughter of Mr Randall Burnbaldry. Deceased, who is 24 years of age, leaves two little children aged 4 years and 2 years. The funeral on Tuesday, was very largely attended, the remains being laid to rest in the Church of England cemetery, Rev S.P. Moore officiating. We extend our sympathy to the relatives in their sad bereavement.
Source: The Grenfell Record and Lachlan District Advertiser 9 Feb 1922.

Woman's Quandary When Local Bigamy Charge Failed
"What am I going: to do now? Evidently lam not married at all, so what is the use of my serving the divorce papers?" In an obvious state of distraction, Sarah Elizabeth Jackson, of Toowoomba, purporting to be the wife of Amos Albert Jackson, of View Street, South Singleton, exclaimed this in the Singleton Court room yesterday afternoon. She had just heard Mr G. J. Johnston, P.M., dismiss the case in which Amos Jackson was charged with committing bigamy "by going through a marriage ceremony at All Saints' Church, Singleton, on Easter Monday,  1938, his first wife, Sarah Elizabeth Jackson, then being still alive."  The charge failed when Mr C. R. Whitfield (of Messrs Win.J. Cragg and Whitfield), who appeared for defendant, submitted certain legal argument to the Bench in support of his claim that there was no valid proof of the first marriage, and the Bench upheld Mr Whitfield's submission.  Detective Sutherland, of Maitland, appeared for the prosecution. His first witness was Constable M. Wholohan, of Singleton, who told of an interview with defendant, Jackson, on March 14th last. Witness said that he informed defendant that he had received an inquiry from Queensland,  in which one Sarah Elizabeth Jackson claimed that she was defendant's wife, and had, reported him to the police in connection with "missing friends" inquiries .  "I thought she was dead," defendant had replied.  Witness, continuing, said that he had asked defendant what made him think that.  "I was at her funeral," defendant had replied. "I thought everything was fair and above board when I got married in Singleton. I will tell you everything about it, but I am of the opinion that someone else is using my wife's name in making that inquiry."  Continuing, Constable Wholohan said that defendant had signed a statement of his own free will, which was now tendered in evidence.  In reply to Mr Whitfield, witness said that, as far as he knew, defendant held a good character; had been living in Singleton for quite some time; was at present residing with his second wife, and there were two young children, one of them a baby only a few weeks old.  MARRIAGE CERTIFICATES.  Detective Sutherland produced two marriage certificates, one of which he claimed to be a certificate showing that defendant was married to Sarah Elizabeth Jackson at Toowoomba (Queensland) on July 30th, 1931, and the other that he was married to Kathleen Gladys Beck at Singleton on 18th April, 1938: Mr Whitfield contended that the Queensland certificate could not be admitted as evidence. It was a document issued outside New South Wales and was not signed and sealed in such a way as to be admissible under the Evidence Act.  Detective Sutherland said that he would leave the tendering of the certificate of the first marriage until later in the case and bring it in
through another witness.  Mr Whitfield agreed to the certificate of the marriage at Singleton being tendered in evidence.  EVIDENCE OF SARAH JACKSON.  Sarah Jackson next took the stand.  Wearing a smart grey costume under a fur coat, a middle-aged woman with slightly greying hair, she gave her evidence with confidence until
being questioned by Mr Whittle, when she became greatly flustered and made several appeals to the magistrate in an endeavour to avoid answering Mr Whitfield's searching queries regarding her association with a man for whom she has been housekeeping for some years past.  Stating that she resided at 252 Ruthven Street, Toowoomba, Queensland, witness said that in 1919 she was married to Lewis Gordon Rowbotham at the Methodist Church,  Horwich, Lancashire (England). She and her husband came to Australia in November, 1919, as a young married couple and settled at Stanthorpe, Queensland, where they lived for several years together.  HUSBAND OBTAINED DIVORCE.  In 1931, continued witness, her husband was successful in obtaining a divorce from her, at Brisbane. After that, she went to her parents' shop in Brisbane Street, Ipswich, and took over the management of it.  Later, she ran a kiosk in Ipswich for a while. Mr Whitfield: "Is all this necessary. Do we want her life history?"  The Magistrate: "It does seem all rather remote."  Detective Sutherland said he would not press the details further.  "MY HUSBAND."  In reply to Detective Sutherland's query, defendant said that she did know the defendant, Jackson, who was before the court. "He is my husband," she. said.  Mr Whitfield': "Now that she has
made that statement, I submit that she might be advised of her rights in regard to not being compelled to give evidence against her husband."  The Magistrate, after a short adjournment, during which he consulted legal references applicable to the matter raised by Mr Whitfield, advised the witness that unless she so desired, she was not compelled to give evidence against defendant,  whom she said was her husband.  Witness replied that she understood the position.  Continuing her evidence, witness said that on July 30th, 1931, she was married at the Registry Office at Toowoomba, to Amos Albert Jackson.  Mr Foran was the Registrar and the witnesses were two clerks from the office.  Detective Sutherland then produced the marriage cercificate objected to by Mr Whitfield previously, and after witness said that the document was the certificate of the marriage. Mr Whitfield said that he desired to formally object to it being tendered as it was not admissible as evidence.  The Magistrate overruled the objection.  After the marriage at the Registry Office, continued witness, she and her husband had gone to the Wyreema Hotel, Toowoomba, where they lived for seven or eight months, her husband being the licensee. After that they went to the Kingsthorpe Hotel, and when the owner took that hotel over they lived privately at Tor Street, Toowoomba, for 12 to 18 months. Next they were at the Railway Cafe for a while, and after that she had the licence of the Five Ways Hotel. Her husband was working
away, but when in Toowoomba stayed at the hotel with her. She and her sister conducted the hotel for three or four years. Her husband was working at the gasworks at Toowoomba and lived at the hotel during that time. She only had the hotel on rent then.  HUSBAND LEFT HER.  In January, 1935, following an argument, her husband packed his bags and left her. She had not seen him since, except once, at a distance.  That was in Queensland about three years ago. She left the hotel in June, 1935. About two and a half years ago, she made inquiries through the police as to her husband's whereabouts and ascertained that he was with his mother.  MR WHITFIELD ASKS SOME QUESTIONS.  Mr Whitfield to witness: "Where did you go to live after you left the Five Ways Hotel?"  Witness: "Is that anything to do with it?"  Mr Whitfield: "Answer the question."  Witness: "I can't remember. You tell him, you know (appealing to defendant) . Mr Whitfield: "Never mind asking him." Witness: "To a house in Toowoomba. I can't remember the street."  Mr Whitfield: "Well, after that where did you go?" Witness: "To Water Street, Toowoomba, for a few months."  ' Mr Whitifield: "And then?"  Witness, turning to the Magistrate: "Must I answer," Mr Johnston: "Yes." Witness: "Then I went to live at 252 Ruthven Street, Toowoomba." Mr Whitfield: "Was a man called Arthur Edward Conway staying at the Five Ways while you were there?"  Witness: "I object to the question."  Mr Whitfield: "And I press it."  Again the Magistrate told witness that she would have to answer. Witness: "Yes, he was living there.  So were a lot of other people."  QUESTIONED REGARDING HOLIDAY.  Mr Whitfield: "Did you go away for a holiday while you were at Five Ways?"  Witness: "Yes, my mother and I went away together for a few days."  Mr Whitfield: "Did Conway leave the hotel a few days after you did?  Then, when you returned did he come back to the hotel too? Did he stay at the same hotel at the holiday place as you did."  Witness, turning distractedly to the Bench: "Am I on trial?"  Mr Johnston: "No."  Mr Whitfield: "Answer the question."  Witness: "I think I am on trial.  Yes. he stayed at the same hotel."  Mr Whitfield: "When you got back to FiveWays, was there trouble between you and Jackson over Conway and your association with him?"  Witness: "No, there was no argument about Conway. He can answer that question." (Pointing to defendant). "I think this is terrible,  the things you are asking—bringing in other people like this."  CAUSE OF HUSBAND LEAVING.  Mr Whitfield: "What was the trouble that caused your husband to leave?"  Witness: "One of the commercial travellers that used to come to the hotel, but I hardly knew the man."  In reply to Mr Whitfield, witness said that Conway was a railway engine driver.  Mr Whitfield: "When you left and went to live in Water Street, you went to a house which had been taken by Conway, and you acted as housekeeper for him?"  Witness: "Yes."  Mr Whitfield: "And the house in the other street that you did not remember the name of. Did you go as his housekeeper there too?"  Witness admitted that she did.  Mr Whitfield: "Since then you went to Ruthven Street as his houskeeper and have been housekeeper there for him since?" Witness admitted that this was true, and that Conway was a single man.  Mr Whitfield suggested to witness that when she made the inquiries about her husband's whereabouts two and a half years ago, and did nothing further when she heard he was with his mother, that was merely because she wanted to marry Conway and desired to find out if Jackson was still on deck.  Witness said that she was to go under a big operation and merely wanted to know where her husband was, but by the time she found out there was no necessity to do anything further.  N This concluded witness's evidence,  and Alexander Clyde Tisdell, of 17 William Street, Singleton, then took the stand. His evidence concerned his having been a witness at the wedding at All Saints' Church on April 18th, 1938, when defendant was married to Kathleen Gladys (Nancy) Beck. Witness said that he was best man and Eileen Burston was bridesmaid. The officiating minister was Rev. W. J. Richards. Witness also gave formal evidence to show that the certificate produced was the one which had been signed by the parties following the wedding.  Jackson said, in reply to Mr Whitfield, that there had been no children by either her first husband, Rowbotham, or by Jackson. MR WHITFIELD'S CONTENTION.  The case for the prosecution concluded, Mr Whitfield submitted that there was no case to answer; that a prima facie case had not been made out. He said that proof of the first marriage was always an essential ingredient of the evidence in a bigamy case. Identity of the parties, evidence of reputation, or of cohabitation was not sufficient. The law held that the evidence, of the husband or wife alone, that the marriage had taken place was not sufficient. There fore, argued Mr Whitfield, if the evidence of the wife in this case was taken away, not a title of evidence remained that would prove the validity of the first marriage, because the marriage certificate had been introduced through her evidence, which, as he had pointed out was insufficient testimony to prove the marriage. Therefore the prosecution must fail. In addition, said Mr Whitfield, there was evidence that Mrs Jackson was married first of all to a man named Rowbotham and nothing had been produced in court to show that this marriage had been dissolved. There was nothing to substantiate her evidence that there had been a divorce. Therefore there was no evidence that she had been in a position to contract a marriage with Jackson.  Detective Sutherland submitted that a prima facie case had been established, firstly on defendant's own admission, secondly on the wife's evidence, and also by the marriage certificate.  Mr Whitfield quoted sections of the relevant Acts which said that in a bigamy case proof could not be accepted by the evidence of the wife alone.  CASE DISMISSED.  The Magistrate: "I hold that a, prima facie case has not been made out, that defendant has no case to answer, and he is discharged. WOMAN'S QUANDARY.  The witness claiming to be the wife of defendant then approached police officers in the court room and distractedly queried her position regarding divorce papers, which, she said she desired to serve on defendant, Jackson.  To Police Inspector McBurnie, she said: "What is the use of me serving divorce papers now. Evidently I am not married at all—according to the result of this case.  Inspector McBurnie and others appeared to be unable to give her a ruling on the problem. However, it is understood that the papers were not served, owing to some technical omission in their preparation which was discovered on inspection of the papers at the court office.  The woman left for Toowoomba last night.
Source: Singleton Argus 11 Oct 1940


SINGLETON, Wednesday - At the Quarter Sessions today, a jury convicted Amos Albert Jackson, on a charge of bigamy. Judge Neild bound Jackson over on a bond of £20 to be of good behaviour for two years. The charge against Jackson was that on July 30, 1931, at Toowoomba Qld, he married Sarah Elizabeth Rowbotham, and while so married, did, on April 18, 1838, at Singleton, marry Kathleen Gladys Beck
Source: Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate 14 Aug 1941

1075. Hilary Colin Jackson

Before Mr. Trueman, in the Grenfell Police Court on Friday Wilfred Nathaniel Cable and Hilary Colin Jackson were committed for trial at Cowra Quarter Sessions on. 28th June on a charge of breaking, entering and stealing from the shop of W. Howard Gray.  Bail was allowed in each case — self in £50 and a surety of £50 or two of £25. Mr. Moore appeared for Cable and Mr. Moffitt for Jackson.  William Howard Gray, garage proprietor, of Grenfell, deposed: He remembered May 27; at 6.15 he closed the shop and cleared the till of all monies with the exception of three pences and sixpences; on arrival next morning at 8.15 he went to place change in the till and found it open and the money removed; witness walked out the back and found, the bottom half of the window open and the top half broken; witness checked the loss and found £l/2/4£d short; no authority was given anyone to enter the shop, or remove the money; the till was a cash register.  Sergeant Buchan deposed: On 2Sth ult. in consequence of a telephone message he went with Constable Ellicott to the rear of the shop in Mainstreet, occupied by William H Gray; he there saw that the back window
had recently been forced; the top pane was broken and the catch was broken off; about 2 p.m. that day witness went with Constable Ellicott to the Railway. Hotel where he saw defendant in a bedroom; when asked if he was knocking about the street with Nat Cable, he said he was; he met him near the picture show at about l0 p.m.; they went to the Monterey and Cable bought a couple of cocoanut ice- sticks; , they then went down to Mrs: Aston's, where they had pies and coffee; Cable paid; they then walked down to 'Nug' Frazer's and defendant left Cable and went home to bed; defendant offered to. give a statement (tendered).  Mr. Moore then asked that the
(statement be read omitting all reference : to Cable, as it would not be fair to have the things said in the statement about him read). This was upheld. The statement read: 'Last night at 7.35 p.m. I met Miss ? at ? ? place, and accompanied her to her home; I. stayed talking until about 10 p.m.; I then came down town., to the picture show; as I was walking along the street near Procter's garage, Nat Coble sang out; he was walking along the street towards me from the direction of the Empire Hotel;  he said, 'Are you in a hurry.?'I said- No';. he then walked as far as Albion Hotel; Cable said come over to the Monterey; he walked across; he bought ice sticks and gave me one; we, crossed the street and then went down to Mrs. Aston's ; we went in arid Mrs. Aston served us with pies and coffee,(then followed conversation, the subject of an objection); we left Aston's and walked to' 'Nug' Frazer's; we noticed Mrs. Astons shop light go out and she walked across the street; Cable, left me and went up to join them. Mr. Moore at this stage suggested that the cases now be heard together and Mr. Moffitt (for Jackson) made a similar submission to that of Mr. Moore (for Cable) re evidence tendered in statements.  This was agreed to.  Continuing, Sergt. Buchan said to Jackson, 'Have you any money and he said a few bob; he produced five 2/- pieces and some pennies from his pocket; he said Alan Pound paid him 7/ .for helping with timber; Constable Ellicott went away to answer a telephone call and when he came
back he. said Cable has been put in at Forbes and has admitted everything; witness asked if Jackson's statement were true and he said it was; defendant .hesitated and then
said, 'If it hadn't been for Cable I would not have been in this; witness said, 'You were concerned?' he said, : 'Yes, I will tell you all about it'; he agreed to make a statement;
they went to the station and the statement was made.  The statement read: — ''I was standing at T. Spies corner last night, 27th May, when Cable came down and started talking; we went round the back and got together under the window and levered it up; the knob on the lock on the window broke the pane so we moved the catch and opened it; Cable would not go in, so seeing that we would get into as much trouble for breaking the window as for stealing I said I would go in if he was too big a 'squib'; I took money to the value of 21/2Jd from the till in threepences, sixpences and coppers; we then went, round the back laneway, and Cable went into the Monterey; he got 5/
worth of big silver from the shop; we then went to Mrs. Aston's and had toast and coffee; while there Cable had a conversation with Mrs. Aston; she went into the kitchen and brought him eight 2/- pieces; Nat gave me half of it in 2/- pieces; we then walked to Frazer's shop and were talking when we saw Mr. and Mrs. Aston walk out of the shop; Cable walked home with Mrs. Aston as far as I know; I then went down and talked for a while before going to bed; I later went to bed at about 11.30.' Witness then charged the defendant Jackson, who was searched; five 2/ pieces, two pennies and two halfpennies were found in his pocket; he admitted that it was portion of the proceeds of the robbery, said the witness.  To Mr. Moore: I did not know the defendant prior to this case. Mrs. A. C. Aston, cafe proprietress of Grenfell, said that she remembered the;-27th May last; she knew both defendants, and they came to her refreshment rooms in Main-st. on the night in question and asked for coffee and toast; witness served them; Cable asked her for big change for small money; he had 16/ in threepences, sixpences and pennies; witness gave him six 2/ pieces and four shillings; that was about 11.30; witness later saw Cable when he walked home with her and her husband after they had. closed the shop. Sidney Lewis Rains, plain clothes constable, of Forbes, deposed: At 1.15 p.m. on 28/5/38, in company Sergeant Pollard, he saw defendant at the Forbes Post Office; witness asked him where he was last night, and he said he was at Grenfell; witness asked defendant to go to the police station in connection with a robbery at Grenfell that night; when told a garage owned by W. H. Gray had been broken into and robbed, and that he and Jackson were suspected, he said, 'I did not break in; I only waited near the window for a while and then I walked to the lane way; defendant said he walked up the street .with Jackson; when asked what he had received as a result of the robbery he said '10/6'; he admitted that he and Jackson went to two different refreshment rooms and cashed threepences and six pences into 2/- pieces; he said the money was given him to cash; defendant agreed to make a statement, saying 'I can only tell the truth!' The statement read: —  'About 10.30 p.m. on the 27th inst. in company with Hilary Jackson, I walked round the back of Gray's garage; Jackson got a shovel and opened the window; he went inside, took off his shoes and then opened the till; when he got inside I walked to the back of the lane and stopped there until he came back; we walked up the street and as we went Jackson gave me threepences and six pences to cash; there were 10 three pences and 24 sixpences; at the Monterey I saw a girl and she gave me  two 2/- pieces and one 1/- piece; I gave her 5/ in small money; Jackson and I then walked to Mrs. Aston's refreshment shop where I saw Mrs. Aston and asked for 16/ in big money for threepences and sixpences; she handed me eight 2/ pieces; I gave her 10/ in small money; we walked down the street and talked; I left Jackson and went home with Mr. and Mrs. Aston and then went to bed; I have not seen Jackson since; I got 10/6 out of the money and Jackson kept 10/6.'  The defendant was then charged, proceeded the witness; on being searched defendant had £1/18/ in 2/- and 1/ pieces, 9/ in sixpences
and threepences, and 9d in coppers; he said it was the money he got from the robbery and money that be longed to Mr. Caldwell who employed him.On  a charge of stealing an overcoat the property of Norman Moffltt, Hilary Colin Jackson pleaded guilty Mr. Moffitt appeared for Jackson.  Fined £3 or six days' hard labour. Cable was also charged with stealing an overcoat, the property of Norman Moffitt.  Owing to short notice the case was adjourned until July 5.
Source: The Grenfell Record and Lachlan District Advertiser 6 Jun 1938

Mr. Hilary Jackson, well known Grenfell taxi driver, was only slightly injured when a taxi he was driving hit a tree on the Bimbi road a week ago. Mr. Jackson was returning from Bimbi when the rear type blew out. The taxi careered off the road, smashed into a tree and was totally wrecked.  Mr. Jackson escaped with fractured ribs. There was no one else in the car.  Since the accident Mr. Jackson was admitted to the Grenfell Hospital suffering from pneumonia, possibly a result of the accident, but was discharged this morning
Source: The Grenfell Record and Lachlan District Advertiser 27 Aug 1951

772. Jonas Robert Medhurst

Mr. J. R. Medhurst
Mr. Jonas Robert Medhurst, aged 61 years, passed away at his sister-in-law's residence at Victoria Street, Werrington, on June 15.  Deceased had been ill for some 2 1/2 years. A son of Ada Martha, and the late Joshua Amzi Medhurst, deceased was born at Howe's Valley, Singleton district.  Deceased had been residing at Werrington for some three or four years.  Besides his wife, Dot, the following children survive him: Lorna (Mrs. Dyson, Werrington), Kenneth (St. Marys), Trevor (Tamworth), Norma (Mrs. Campbell) and Dawn (Mrs. Akers), both of Barraba, Noel (Toolong, Queensland), and Marie Werrington). Lola May and Gordon died in infancy.  Deceased leaves three brothers James, Roy and Bill (twins). He was a member of the St. Marys branch of the R.S.S.A.I. L.A., which forwarded a wreath. The Rev. T. E. Champion,
Rector of St. Mary Magdalene Church, officiated at the funeral service on Saturday, June 18, the remains being interred in the Penrith General Cemetery.
Source: Nepean Times 7 Jly 1955

Minnie Merle Taylor

The death occurred unexpectedly in Dangar Cottage Hospital last night of Mrs. Minnie Merle Merrick, at the age of 27 years.  Deceased was the former Miss Taylor.
Mrs; Merrick is survived by her husband, but there was no issue of the union.  The funeral will be conducted to-morrow morning.
Source: Singleton Argus 17 Jan 1949

824. Joseph Hunter E Merrick

The death occurred on 10th May of the late Mr. J. H. Merrick, of Muswellbrook. Deceased, who was 62 years of age, was born at Jerry's Plains, and at the time of his death had been working at Singleton. He had  been employed by the Railway Department for the past 33 years and had worked in that time throughout the Upper Hunter.
The late Mr. Merrick is survived by his wife,- three daughters, Laura (Mrs. Liston, Holbrook), Une (Mrs. Boorman, Fivedock), Leslie (Mrs. Hallett, Muswellbrook) and one son, Claud (Muswellbrook). Eight grandchildren also survive him. Surviving brothers and sisters are: Imelda (Muswellbrook), William (Pokolbin), Edith (Martindale), Reg and Winter (Scone), Gordon (Merriwa) and Clara (Merriwa). Rev. F. W. Rush officiated at the graveside, the funeral being held on 12th May.  The following floral tributes were received: Loving wife; Laura and John; Una and Fred; Lesley and Geoff; Claude and Mavis; loving grandchildren; Bill, Harriet and family and Uncle Jack; Imelda, Eric and family; Winter, Ruby and family; Edie, Jim and family; Lorna, Noel and family; Reg, Ivy and family; Ida, Aubrey and family; Garlick and Sons; Muswellbrook No. 1 Miners' Lodge; camp mates construction, Singleton; Permanent Way Staff, Muswellbrook; Dorrie Goliedge and family; the Weidmann family; Joyce,
Harold and family; Mrs. Kilpatrick and Olive; Hunter and Bruce; Jack McGahan and staff; Madge, Harry, Judy, John; Esther and Pat Thiess; Daphne and Donald Smith; Ivy, Ralph and Cleon Styles; Mr. and Mrs. Raymond George, Hebden; Glad, Bernie and John Mason; Mr. and Mrs. Les Hallett and family; Mabel and Cecil Gill and family; Doris; Mr. and Mrs. J. M. Torpey; the Mclnnes family; Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Smith.
Source: The Muswellbrook Chronicle 22 May 1953

Lance Edward Gordon Henry

Killed in an aircraft accident.