Australian English Genealogy

Descendants of Edward Priest

Notes (Page 2)

William Anthony

Arrived on the Claudine in 1829. Appointed Constable in 1832.

3. Mary Ann Sophia Priest

HANNELL.—December 18, 1884, at her residence, Maryville, Wickham, Mary A. S Hannell, relict of the late James Hannell, aged 65 years.
Source: The SMH 8 Jan 1885

Funeral of the late Mrs. James Hannell. Yesterday afternoon the remains of the late Mrs. James Hannell, relict of a former most widely known citizen, the late Mr. James Hannell,. J.P., M.L.A, were consigned to their last resting place, and interred, in the presence of fully a thousand citizens and friends representing all grades of society. The funeral service was conducted at St. James' Church of England; Wickham, by the Incumbent, the Rev. John Dixon, who had been a constant friend and spiritual family adviser of the deceased lady. The interior of the little church was draped with black; more especially the pew that had, during many years, been occupied Sunday after Sunday by Mrs. Hannell. Placed in juxtoposition to the spot from which it had been her wont to take part in the services, were laid the Bible, Prayer Book, and Pealters with which she had assisted in the solemn ritual, or had lent the power of her musical voice amongst the worshippers. A small crape blind stretched across the entrance to the pew, as it were, tacitly isolated it from occupation for the nonce, and forcibly brought the recollection of the vacancy historically described a decade ago by the " vacant chair" of Charles Dickens, at Gadshill. The sorrow and regret here felt may have been more local, but none the less was its intense earnest and heartfelt. The funeral service included the reading of the 30th and 90th Psalms. These had formed a part of the obituary ceremonial of the deceased lady's husband in the year 1876 (Since then it had become a commemorative custom in the Hannell family for all the parents, children, offspring, and more intimately connected relations, to assemble once annually at the family residence, Maryville, Wickham. The Rev. John Dixon would, on such occasions, conduct a service, one feature of which consisted of reading the two psalms mentioned. Mr. A. Barry played the "Dead March in Saul" whilst the procession entered the Church ; a densely crowded congregation meanwhile rising to their feet. The hymns (from Hymns Ancient and Modern) Nos. 237 and 131 (latest edition) were sung, commencing respectively Brief life is here our portion; Brief sorrow, short-lived care. The Life that hath no ending A tearless life is there. When our heads are bowed with woe; When our bitter tears do flow; When we mourn the lost-the dear: Jesus, Son of Mary, hear. The coffin was met at the entrance to the Church by the Rev. Mr. Dixon ; and after the conclusion of the service the deceased lady's remains were conveyed to their place of sepulture. All the fIags in the harbour and the city were at half-mast, and the hearse was followed by a funeral cortege several hundreds of yards in length; extending, at one point from Perkin-street, as far as Bolton-street. Immediately behind the coffin walked a procession of nearly seventy children, and immediate relatives of Mrs. Hannell. Following them. a string of private carriages, buggies, and people on horseback swelled the ranks; the attendants including high and low, rich and poor, young and old, of every age and religious denomination. At the grave the scene was solemn and impressive, and mingled with the words of the clergyman, as he read the ritual, could be heard the sobbing of women and the anguish of men gathered round that last resting place, were tile many descendants, relations, connections, and friends of one who had been dearly loved : and if ever grief was genuine, it was genuine yesterday afternoon. It has been announced that the Rev. Mr. Dixon will preach a special sermon, at St. James'. Wick ham, to-morrow Sunday) week, at the evening service of that church.
Source: Newcastle  Morning Herald 20 Dec 1884

James Walton Hannell MLA

Birth registered as Walton

In 1868 was Mayor of Newcastle

(By W. J. Goold)
Foremost among the names of the pioneer families of the Newcastle dis trict stands that of Hannell—James Hannell, Jesse Hannell, and John Hannell, each, played a considerable part in the early history of the district; but the first-named (James Hannell) stands out the most prominent of all. A native of Sydney, born in 1813, he came to Newcastle when a youngster, and both he and Jesse Hannell received their education at the old Christ Church school on the hill. In early manhood they both joined the police force; in a gazette notice on June 4th, 1833, it states: "James Hannell, a native of the Colony, to be Constable in place of George David son, dismissed for drunkenness." His resignation from the police force was gazetted March 14th, 1836. Subsequent to his resignation, James Hannell secured (September 9th, 1839) an auctioneer's license for Newcastle, being at that time the only auctioneer in the whole district.
We next hear of him the host of the "Ship Inn," which at that time occupied the site of the Union Bank in Hunter-street—the license having been transferred from the old build ing at the foot of Watt-street. The principal Inns in Newcastle in the early forties were: Hannell's "Ship Inn," McGreavy's "Commercial Inn" in Watt-street, Tighe's "Miner's Arms" in Market Square (known in later days as the "London Tavern"), William Rouse's Inn in" Hunter-street (on Scott's present block), and the "Union Inn," kept by Hicks Norton. Under James Hannell's regime the old "Ship Inn" became ' the leading hostelry in the town—it was here that the principal social and political events were held; the Oddfellows' Lodge had their Lodge room here; and all local sporting events were arranged and finalised in the Long Room. •
Many of the older residents of. New castle will remember the old Inn—it had a frontage of 58 feet to Hunter street, and about 90 feet to Boulton street. It was a substantially-built brick building of two stories, and in its later years contained 23 rooms, together with a billiard room and a brick building at the rear.
In 1842 Newcastle had a population of 1377, and was just beginning to feel the benefits of the increasing coal trade—miners with their families were coming out from the old country under contract to the A.A. Company, and were making their homes near the new pits.
The Stockton Tweed- Factory had just commenced operations, other industrial concerns were opening up, and even in these early days New castle gave every promise of becoming a large manufacturing centre, James Hannell was ever foremost in all public movements for the betterment of the town, and his name  figures prominently in many local and political meetings held in the district, Hee was the leader of a deputation to Governor Denison in 1855, agitating for improvements to the harbour fore shores, which at that time were in a deplorable condition. He was one of the principal advocates for the incorporation of the city, and when this came into being on June 7th, 1859, he was among the aldermen elected to the first Council. His fellow-aldermen were: Major Charles Bolton, A. A. P. Tighe, James '^vlette, Peter Fleming, Martin Richardson, Robert Turton, and George Tully.
Without opposition Mr. Hannell was elected the first Mayor of Newcastle, a position he filled for four consecutive years—1859-60-61-62—and again in 1868, 1869 and 1871. He occupied the Mayoral chair during the visit to Newcastle of the Duke of Edinburgh on March 5th, 1868.  For some years the meetings of the Newcastle City Council were held in the old Court House at the corner of Hunter and Boulton-streets—and according to early press notices some very lively debates took place there.
Mr. Hannell took a very keen inter est in all sporting matters; and in 1846 he was one of a small band of sports who leased a portion of Mr. Alexander Walter Scott's land at Burwood for the purpose of forming a racecourse. Fredrick-street, Merewether, now runs through this land, and there is still standing the build ing which in later years was the Racecourse Inn.  It was on this course that the Newcastle race meetings were held for many years, but prior to 1846, when ever the sporting fraternity of old Newcastle held , any races, they took place on what is now the main street, commencing at the Cottage Bridge and finishing at the Ship Inn. At the Newcastle Christmas Races, held on December 27th and 28th, 1848, the programme shows the following events: Newcastle City Plate of £15, Maiden Plate of £12, Publicans' Purse of £12. Hurdle Race of £12, Hack Race of £8, and a Beaten Purse of £8; "and entrances for all races 4re to be made on the morning of the first day at the "Ship Inn," between the hours of seven and ten o'clock." Some of the early patrons of the turf were James Hannell, Captain Biddulph, William Henry Whyte, C. B. Ranclaud, A. Brown, Robert Fisher, Sparke, Moorhouse, N Greenville, etc.—and when a few years later the Newcastle Jockey Club was established, Mr. Hannell was the first President. He was also President of the Newcastle Regatta Committee from its inception, and usually filled the position of Umpire at the races.
But it is in connection with his untiring efforts on behalf of the Newcastle Hospital that Mr. Hannell will be long remembered. In the early days there was a small brick building known as the Military, Hospital, situated near the site of the present fine institution. This charge of a warder and his wife, - and "was the only means of caring for the sick of the district. Mr. Hannell at that time was the Treasurer of the Committee; later he became the President, with Dean Selwyn as the Secretary and Captain Allen as Treasurer. These gentlemen worked so energetically that on, November 9th, 1865, the foundation-stone of a new building was laid, and Mr. Hannell in his speech stated, that there were sufficient funds in hand to complete the building. On December 6th, 1860, Mr. Hannell contested the Parliamentary election for the City of Newcastle electorate, and the polling resulted; Hannell 374, M:\ (afterwards Sir)..Arthur Hodgson 171. He was re-elected on December 15th, 1864, and retained this, seat until 1869. Three years later he contested the Northumberland electorate, and was returned by an ' overwhelming majority, the poll being: Hannell 991, Dr.Brookes 387, O'fiirien 188, Adam 90, Langlev 68, P6mell 13; informal, 25.
The Hannell homestead was at Smedmore, and was named "Maryville" (after Mrs/Hanneil). This is now the name of a 'thickly-populated industrial suburb which surrounds the old home. When the Wickham Municipality was incorporated, Mr. Hannell was the first Mayor elected, and he filled that position until his death. He died on December 31st, 1876, and was buried in the Christ Church cemetery. The funeral was the largest ever seen in Newcastle, and was attended by an immense concourse of mourners.
James Hannell was a strong man in every sense of the word, and his straightforward character and indefatigible energy won for him many personal friends and admirers;"
Source: The Voice of the North 10 Aug 1931

Died of pneumonia

We regret to have to record the death of Mr James Hannell, Sen., J.P. of Newcastle, which occurred at his residence, Wickham, yesterday morning. Although the deceased gentleman had been suffering for some months past from an affection of the liver and the heart, and was at times confined to his bed, his death was not expected and many will hear of demise with surprise and regret. For many years Mr. Hannell occupied a prominent public position in Newcastle, where he had resided for more than a quarter of a century and was closely identified with the interests of the city and district. He was several ' times elected Mayor of Newcastle, and at the time of his death was an linesman of the borough, and Mayor of Wickham. Mr. Hannell has represented the elector of Newcastle and Northumberland in Parliament. He was widely known, and had many warm personal friends, whose esteem he had gained by his probity, his kindness, and his usefulness as a citizen. He leaves a wife and several grown-up sons and daughters.
Source: Evening News 1 Jan 1877


OBIITUARY. MR. JAMES HANNELL, J.P. YESTERDAY (Sunday), the inhabitant of this city and district learned with deep regret that the above esteemed gentleman had breathed his last at 8 o'clock that morning. Upon enquiry on last Saturday morning we were in formed by one of his family, that, although very ill, there was no immediate cause for alarm, and when the news was made known it cast a gloom over the city and district, the sad. event being so totally unexpected by his large circle of friends. From those who wore best able to inform us we have ascertained that early in November last Mr. Hannell caught a violent cold while returning late at night from a meeting of the Borough Council and on the 17th ult. he was laid up with congestion of the lungs, which attack lasted about a fortnight, after which he gradually improved. On the 19"th December, however, he was again seized with a similar attack, and his medical attendant, Dr. S T. Knaggs, after a few days' observation of the case, held a consultation with Dr. Knaggs, senior, believing it to possess dangerous symptoms, and strongly advised a further consultation with Dr. Bowker. That gentleman was immediately telegraphed for, and left Sydney directly, and on Friday a consultation was held. Dr. Bowker fully coincided with the treatment administered by Dr. Knaggs, and also with him in his opinion of the, serious nature of the case. It was, however, confidently hoped that, under the remedies prescribed, the disease would be conquered, and . the ' threatened danger averted. Up to yesterday morning (Sunday) he was progressing favorably, and at 8 o'clock he made the remark that he felt him. self improving. He ate heartily of a bowl of bread and milk for his breakfast. He shortly afterwards complained of a peculiar feeling at the chest, and sinking back on the bed, he almost immediately expired. Mr. Hannell was one of the oldest residents of Newcastle, and was ever amongst the foremost in taking part in all public movements. In his private capacity he was ever ready to give advice and assistance to all  requiring it, and it is universally admitted that those applying to him for advice-whether friend or foe were all times received with courtesy and the desired information freely given. To our own knowledge has, on several occasions, been put to considerable expense and trouble whilst endeavouring to ameliorate the condition. of his fellow creatures, and to his praise be it said, he never despised a man or woman for their poverty,-a quality few holding similar positions to the de ceased, in this colony, can claim. By honest industry and perseverance he raised himself from the ranks to the honourable position he occupied at the time of his decease. A few items in the long and eminently useful career of Mr. Hannell will not be devoid of interest to our readers. He has been triumphantly returned twice for the city of Newcastle and twice-for the county of Northumberland, and has always, advocated liberal and progressive measures. He was, an earnest honest worker in the House, and ever ready to defend the measures he advocated, in a manly straightforward manner. About the year 1858, he was elected the first mayor of this city, and at the termination of office he was re-elected Mayor three consentively. He has been from their reception, a firm supporter of the Newcastle School of Arts and Newcastle Hospital. He acted first as Treasurer to the latter institution, and lately as President. He always formed one of..committees, chosen by the citizens to wait upon Sir George Gipps, Sir Win. Denison, Sir Charles Fitzroy, and others, urging upon them the necessity of the many improvements required in the port of Newcastle, many df which have since been successfully carried out, mainly through his instrumentality. In his earlier days, Mr. Hannell, with a few other old residents, joined in the establishment of the artillery corps of this city. HIo was church warden of St. John's parish for many years, and was annually chosen as its lay representative at the Church of England Synod. For many years he filled the onerous positions of President of the Newcastle Regatta, and Judge at the Newcastle Race .Meetings, indeed ever since the first formation of both Clubs. As a Magistrate, we believe few men have given such general satisfaction, and we know of none whose decisions on the Bench have met with mope general approval. his friendly advice and admonition as a Justice of the Peace have often been the means of restoring peace in families, which would have been totally destroyed by a persistence in legal proceedings. Being a public man, he, no doubt, as a natural consequence, had opponents, but all will agree that his death is a serious loss, not only to the district, but the country at large. He assisted energetically in the formation of the municipality of' Wickham, of which he was the first Mayor, and his removal will be severely felt by the inhabitants of that thriving township. In fact, our space fails us to recount the many ways in which the deceased gentleman had endeared himself to society as a citizen, t, the community as an example, to his wife and family as a faithful husband and a kind father, and to the world at large as an honest man.
Source: Newcastle Morning Herald and Miner's Advocate1 Jan 1877

19. James Edward Hannell

On the 8th instant, at Christ Church, Newcastle, by the Rev. A. E. Selwyn, assisted by the Rev. C Walsh, of Morpeth, JAMES EDWARD HANNELL, second son of JAMES HANNELL, Esq., M.L.A., Mayor of Newcastle, to ADELINE MATILDA, only daughter of R. B. THEOBALD, Esq., Collegiate School, Newcastle.
Source: The SMH 28Sep 1868

Jesse Walton Hannell

1844 occupation: Chief Constable

Jesse's birth was registered as Walton.

Jesse was the ifrst lighthouse keeper at Nobby's Head. In 1872 was Superintendant of Nobby's lighthouse

29. Albert D Hannell

At Newcastle, on Saturday, the 7th instant, Albert David, the infant son of Mr. Jesse Hannell, chief constable.
Source: The Maitland Mercury and Hunter River General Advertiser 14 Sep 1844

Henry Lambourne

Convicted at Somerset. Arrived in 1827 on John

Thomas Alfred Warland

Builder, brewer, Lime merchant, clerk

William T Glover

Master Mariner. Lighthouse keeper Nelson's Bay until 1891

George Lees

Arrived on the ship 'Richard Webb', as a collier with the Australian Agricultural Company.

Below was taken from other websites:
Lees George - 1855 9 May Newcastle MM Presented Rev. William Savigny with a testimonial of a silver salver and 40 sovereigns in gratitude for his ministerial labours and gratuitous devotion to service

140205 Lees George Richard Webb 1840 1840 Newcastle Newcastle Gaol Description Books 1841 - 1848. Roll 759. Page 1 Born 1817, 5ft 6 in, sallow complexion, light hair, blue eyes, freckled. 2 blue marks on forehead. Admitted to Newcastle gaol

Lees George and Susan - Baptism August 1845 Abode: Newcastle Register Book of Christ Church Cathedral, Newcastle. p.15 Miner. Baptism of son Ellis Edward Lees


DEATH. At the Cosmopolitan Hotel, on the 18th instant, GEORGE LEES, late of the Ship Hotel, Newcastle.
Source: The Newcastle Chronicle and Hunter River District News 19 Jly 1862

DEATH- We perceive by our obituary no tices, that Mr. Lees, formerly landlord of the Ship Inn, Newcastle, has died on the Lachlan diggings. Mr. Lee leaves a widow resident in this city.

48. Edward P Lees

LEES-The Friends of Mr and Mrs GEO. JAMES LEES are kindly invited to attend the Funeral of their late beloved BROTHER, Edward, to move from their residence, 103 Wells-street, Redfern, THIS AFTERNOON, at quarter to 2 o'clock, for Necropolis CHAS. KINSLLA, Funeral Director, 763 George-street, Telephone. 003_near Railway,

LEES.-The Friends of Mr EDWARD PRIEST, of Newcastle, are kindly invited to attend the Funeral of his late beloved NEPHEW, Edward Lees, tomorrow from Mr G J. Lees' residence, 108 Wells-street. Redfern, THIS AFTERNOON, at quarter to 2 o'clock, for Necropolis CHAS. KINSELA, George and Oxford streets,

LEES.-The Friends of Mr. GEO J. LEES, Jun., are kindly invited to attend the Funeral of his late beloved UNCLE, Edward Lees , to move from his residence, 108 Wells-street, Redfern, THIS (Wednesday) AFTERNOON, at quarter to 2 o'clock, for Necropolis. CHAS.KINSELA, Undertaker, 705 George-street, city.

Source: The SMH 11 Oct 1899

7. Edward William Priest

Edward Priest was indicted for shooting at Lieut. Ormsby, of the 80th regiment, at Newcastle, on the 28th of October, 1841, with intent to murder; a second count of the indictment charged the prisoner with intent to do some grievous bodily harm. An application was made on the part of the crown to have the trial postponed, in consequence of the absence of a material witness. On behalf of the prisoner an affidavit was put in making application for bail; but his Honor, having referred to the depositions, said the case appeared to be one which would not warrant him to allow bail, and the prisoner must he remanded until the next assizes.
Source: Australasian Chronicle 15 Mar 1842

Edward Priest, found guilty of shooting with intent' to kill, at Newcastle ; to be imprisoned for six months in Newcastle Gaol,' and kept to hard labour.

Source: The Australian 16 Sep 1842

William H Matthews

Early on Tuesday morning Mr William Matthews, a very old resident of Newcastle, dropped dead near his residence in Wolfe street. The coroner, Mr. F. J. Shaw, held an inquest on the body in the afternoon, when evidence was taken, which went to show that the deceased had been twice in Peterson s hotel, Market Square, on the morning of his death, and had some drink each time About nine o'clock in the morning deceased went into his house, and told his wife that he had got his sister in law in the bus, and he then went out. Mrs Edward Priest (Mrs Matthews's sister-in law) followed him out, but immediately returned and called Mrs Matthews, who saw her husband lying on the side path in the street. She got some water and bathed his temples, but she could scarcely say whether Matthews was dead or alive. His breath seemed to come from him once or twice . Deceased had been addicted to drinking for the past ten years, but seldom complained of illness. He was forty-one years of age. Dr. McGrath, who made a post mortem examination of the body give it as his opinion that deceased died from fatty degeneration of the heart, brought on by the excessive use of alcohol, and the jury returned a verdict in accordance with that opinion.
Source: The Maitland Mercury and Hunter River General Advertiser 15 Oct 1874

9. James Priest

On Wednesday last, the 13th instant, at East Maitland, by the Rev. Mr. Rusden, Mr. James Priest, eldest son of the late Mr. Edward Priest, of Newcastle, to Ann, eldest daughter of Mr. William Thompson, of Four Mile Creek.
Source: The Maitland Mercury and Hunter River General Advertiser 20 Dec 1854

Lighthouse Keeper at Port Stephens at the time of his second wife's death.


11. Ellis Edward Septimus Priest

On the 24th of August, at Newcastle, by licence, by the Rev. Fix this text W. Hill, at the residence of the bride's mother, Wolfe-street, Ellis Edward Septimus, second son of the late Mr. Edward Priest, of Newcastle, to Lydia Parker, only daughter of Mr. James Smithers, contractor, of West Maitland, deceased.
Source: The SMH 28 Aug 1861

Was a passenger on the Salopian bound for Melbourne on 9 Oct 1852