84. Elizabeth Hannah Howard
MRS. ELIZABETH HORWOOD.
Mrs. Elizabeth Hannah Horwood, one of the best-known residents of the Seven Hills district, died at her residence at Seven Hills on
Wednesday. Mrs. Horwood, who was 83 years of age, was a daughter of Mr. David Howard, a pioneer orchardist in the district. Mrs. Horwood was associated with local charitable affairs for more than 65 years. She was a warm supporter of St. Andrew's Church of England, of which her husband has been warden for over 60 years. She was also associated with Red Cross work. Mrs. Horwood and her husband, Mr. Chas. Horwood, who survives her, celebrated the diamond anniversary of their wedding last August. The funeral took place last Thursday in the Church of England Cemetery, Prospect.
Source: The SMH 2 Nov 1931
93. Charles William Horwood
89 TOASTED 94-IN TEA!
Oldest Hills Resident
When Mr. Charles W. Horwood, oldest Hills resident, celebrated his 94th birthday, recently, his 89 years old brother, Dan, toasted him-in tea. His other brother, Vic. also offered hearty congratulations. Near relatives gaithered at "Belinda," Baulkham Hills, where an informal little party congratulated the veteran. A birthday cake was cut by Mr. Horwood, who didn't have to blow out any candles because there wasn't room for 94. Still in fair health, Mr. Horwood is able still to keep an eye on his property at Seven Hills, where he has lived for 89 years. He was a pioneer fruit grower in his day and recalls how he easily obtained £3 a case for citrus for export to New Zealand. He was a churchwarden of St. Matthew's Church, Seven Hills, for 50 years. At the recent Castle Hill Show he and his brother Dan were keenly interested visitors.
Source: The Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate 29 Apr 1940
HILLS PIONEER PASSES
Late C. W. Horwood
Resident at Seven Hills all his long life of 94 years, Mr. Charles William Horwood died in hospital at Wahroonga last week. Born in a little slab house at Seven Hills, which in later years he removed and attached to his residence in Varley-road, Mr. Horwood, from his boyhood onward, evinced a true love of the soil and ultimately became one of the most noted fruit farmers in the Hills. Up till quite recently he remained extraordinarily active, and it was a not uncommon thing for him to drive a sulky to Parramatta in company with his 89-years-old brother, Dan. He was a contemporary of the late E. G. Crane, of Castle Hill, another notable Hills pioneer who died a few months ago, also aged 94. Another brother, Mr. Vic. Horwood, has been a member of the "Argus" staff for more than 40 years. St. Andrew's Church, Seven Hills, was crowded by relatives and friends on Wednesday, when the Rector of Prospect and Seven Hills, Rev. R. L. Langshaw, assisted by the Rector of Castle Hill, Rev. H. E. Felton, conducted an impressive service prior to the interment at Prospect Cemetery.
Source: The Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate 18 Sep 1940
George Thomas Hunt JP
DEATH OF MR. G. T. HUNT, J.P.
The Close of a Valued Colonist's Life. Impressive Funeral.
At the ripe age of 70 years, Mr. G. T. Hunt, J.P., breathed his last on Saturday evening last, at his residence, Harold-street, Parramatta. The Argus had that same day warned his many friends that the end was apparently near; so the sad event could scarcely be said to have been unexpected. In fact, for days previously, it had been obvious that the worthy veteran colonist was slowly sinking, and his sons and other members of the family had been summoned from different parts of the colony to be near his side during his last moments on earth. The deceased gentleman was one of the old school of Parramattans, whose ranks are being thinned by death, now, very rapidly. He was the son of the late Mr. Richard Hunt, of Parramatta, who was drowned in the historic floods at Gundagai, in the year 1852. The subject of this notice went to school— Mr. Bradley's— in Parramatta, in company with C. J. Byrnes, Henry Byrnes and other lads now ranking among our best-known and most highly respected citizens. He left school at 15 years of age, and went out to Dural, where he embarked upon the fruit-growing business. He met Miss Williams there, and in the year 1842, he led her to the alter. The issue of that marriage comprised seven sons and two daughters, of whom one son predeceased his father. Those now living with their mother are six sons and two daughters, the latter being Mrs. A. Goledge and Miss Hunt. Mr. G. T. Hunt carried on fruitgrowing for years, with success; and then he turned his attention to pastoral matters. He became interested in a squatting business on the Bogan, the Burdenda property. He was then a member of a grazier's firm, Hunt and Co, but in later years his partner was bought out, and Mr. Hunt took his sons into business with him. Then the Obella station was purchased; and till his death Mr. Hunt continued to retain his interest in these two properties. For many years Mr. Hunt was connected with the institutions of his native town — the P.D. Hospital and the Benevolent Society. As mentioned in the address delivered by the Rev. J. B. Carruthers at the Parramatta Wesleyan Church on the afternoon of the funeral, Mr. G. T Hunt was a very prominent, devoted and useful member of the Wesleyan Church, and he served for long years in high positions in connection with the administration of the affairs of the Church in this district and the colony generally. Mr. Hunt was a Justice of the Peace of established and recognised probity, and for years he took part in the work to be done at the Parramatta Police Court. As a member of the Parramatta School Board, Mr. Hunt was well known, too; and it may be mentioned, as affording an index to his character, that in this position he took no little pride, and he retained his connection with the establishments for the training of his young fellow-colonists to the very last. It may be added here that Mr. Hunt served for years, too, as a member of the committee of Newington College. In short, he was a valued colonist of sterling character, though of unobtrusive habits, whose good influence is reflected in the respect felt for his family by all classes, and the high standing the members of that family occupy by reason of their own personal attributes of character. This colony will be fortunate if it is ever able to command such influence as his in connection with the lives of its leading men. The funeral, which was very largely attended, took place on Monday afternoon. Among the mourners noticed were Messrs. George H. Hunt, Richard Hunt, Thomas Hunt, John Hunt, and A. Hunt (sons), five grandsons, Mr. E. G. Barker (nephew), Mr. A. Golledge (son-in-law), Mr., W. E. Williams, Revs. J. B. Carruthers, J. Woolnough, E. J. Rodd (acting president of the Conference), W. H. Beale, C. J. Prescott, M.A., Drs. Waugh and Jas. Kearney, Mr. Gilbert Smith, Mr. David Dale, Mr. Scott (of McKenzie and Co., Sydney), and Messrs. J. W. Foster, J.P., W. W. Bodenham, S. Eagan, W. Muston, T. Muston, J. Wing, C. B. Cairnes, J. Taylor, S. Moore, J. Cusbert, C. J. Moore, Knight, Bean, Roughley, Purser, A. A. Champion, W. Maling, Mathers, Creagh, G. W. Oldham, F. Ludwig, Horwood, Giiffith B, Rea, Eades, Ford, S. Drummond, J. E. Bowdon, J. R. Murray, W.R. Murray, A. H. Gregg, T. Hawkins, W. Black, Wellings, Brown, J. P. Larcombe, Billett, L. W. Pye, S. Davies, E. P. Poarce, Sampson, W. F. A. Larcombe, Knox, J. Hart, Gregg, Robinson, H.Mason, R. Wilkinson. The coffin was carried into the church and placed in front of the communion rails. The rostrum and the organ loft were draped in black. A hymn appropriate to the occasion, was sung, and then the mourners were led eloquently in prayer by the Rev. B. J.Rodd, after which the Rev. C. J. Prescott, M. A., gave out a second hymn. The Rev. H. Woolnough read Psalm XC
Source: The Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate 26 Aug 1899
114. Lydia A Hunt
MRS. LYDIA SIDES.
On the 26th November, 1931, there passed away at Harris Park, through the death of Mrs. Sides, the last member of one of the oldest and most influential families of the Parramatta and Dural districts, leaving a gap in the Leigh Memorial Church which will be difficult to fill. Mrs. Sides was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. G. T. Hunt, late of 'Currawong,' Parramatta, and previously of Dural. Her father's name carries us back over a century of history, as he was born in 1826. The Hunt family was for many years among the leading orchardists of Dural, and they subsequently went in for sheep farming, holding large properties in the Dubbo and Nyngan districts. They were known for their integrity, for their vigorous Christian character, and for their loyal service in the Methodist Church. Within the short space of a little over two years, her four brothers, Messrs. - Richard, John, Alfred, and Thomas, and herself, and also two nieces (Mrs. H. Golledge and Mrs. Spencer Manton) passed away. The other brothers and sisters died previously and with Mrs. Sides' death, the original Hunt family came to an end. As blow after blow of bereavement struck her, she stood up to it bravely, but eventually her failing strength , gave way, and after a brief illness she slipped away to her reward. Mrs. Sides was blessed with an exceedingly kindly and friendly disposition, full of fun and humour, and with a preference for seeing the sunny , side of the darkness road. Her out look was wide enough to appreciate the views of others, was never cramped by her own prejudices, yet she had strength of character sufficient to remain doggedly loyal to her Christian principles, to her religious faith, and to her friends. Throughout her life she was a consistent cnurch worker, both in the spiritual things, and also in those more associated with the material side of church and social life, as seen in her more than forty years' membership of the Women Workers' Association, and her fine Sunday School work. While she was keen to help any good cause no small part of her charitable work was known only to the recipients and to herself. A great part of her life was devoted to loving service for her aged parents, and she made many sacrifices to minister to them. It was not till after their death, and about twenty-five years ago that she married Mr. George Sides, of Sidonia Station, Hay. They retired to Harris Park, and lived happily together till Mr. Sides was called home six years ago, at the age of 88 years. There was a grown family of step-sons and step-daughters, and their sincere attachment to Mrs. Sides , was a splendid tribute to her character and winsome personality. In the home she was a ministering angel as a daughter, sister, and wife. In public and social life she served her generation well; in her private and religious life she was loyal to her God, to her conscience, to her Church, and to her friends. She has passed on, but the after-glow of her life, still brightens the clouds of sorrow, and remains a beautiful inspiration to the many friends who have known her and have loved her.— H.S.B.
Source: The Methodist 26 Dec 1931
George Frederick Sides
MR. GEORGE SIDES.
The death occurred at his residence, Parramatta, on Monday, August 10, of Mr. George Sides, J.P. in his eighty-eighth year. Some weeks previously Mr. Sides underwent a severe operation and although he appeared to have recovered, his strength seemed to give out suddenly, and he succumbed. The deceased was born in Queen's County, Ireland, in 1838, coming to Australia when 16 years old. He first took up land at Mount Mercer, near Ballarat, where he lived for many years. He was married in 1866, in Ballarat to Miss Leahy, daughter of Dr. Leahy, a staff surgeon In the Navy. In 1881 Mr. Sides took up land at Gunbar, and later established the family home at Sidonia. His wife and family followed him there in 1882, and it became one of the most hospitable homes in the district. Mr. Sides took a keen interest in all matters appertaining to grazing, especially championing the cause of the small grazier, and was a leading member of both the Gunbar and Hay Selector's Association. In politics, Mr. Sides was a freetrader, an active worker for the Hay Show and was a successful exhibitor of sheep in the days when it was a sheep show. His wife died in 1900, and about 5 years later Mr. Sides handed over the management of his estate to his sons. Later he married a Miss Hunt. He is survived by six sons, (John James, Hartrick Collins, Oswald Bernshaw, George Frederick, Alfred Edward, and Langford), and two daughters (Mrs. Lane, and Miss Emily Georgina Sides). They are all children of his first wife. The body of the deceased gentleman was interred at Hay.
Source: The Land 4 Sep 1925
DEATH OF MR. JOHN CATT.
Mr. John Catt, of North Rocks, was on Tuesday transacting some business in Mr. F. W. Todhunter's office, Parramatta, when he was suddenly seized with paralysis, and fell heavily to the ground. Dr. F C. Hall's aid was called for; and for three hours the best that could be done on the spot was done; then the old gentleman was removed to his stepdaughter's residence in Parramatta North. He never recovered, however, and died the same evening. The funeral was largely attended. The cortege which was marshalled by Messrs. W. Metcalfe and Co., undertakers, moved from the house to the Carlingford Cemetery, where the Rev. Canon Young read the last service over the coffin. The deceased gentleman, who was 61 years of age, leaves a family of seven children. He was a highly-respected resident of the Hills district; and many of his old friends and neighbors followed his body to its last resting place on earth, on Wednesday.
Source: The Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate 21 Jan 1905
Arrived on Margaret in 1841 as assisted immigrant, along with his parents.
Henry Cusbert, whose death was announced through your columns last week, took place on Saturday in the Wesleyan Cemetery, and was one of the largest that has taken place here. The burial service was conducted by the Rev. W. Moore. The deceased was interred by the side of his first wife, and his two deceased sons, Thomas and Henry John Cusbert. The deceased arrived in this colony in the year 1841 and was married to a Miss Williams at the old Wesleyan Chapel known as Pogson's at Castle Hill. The issue of that marriage was 7 daughters and 4 sons; 3 of the latter having died left one surviving son only, and one daughter being dead leaves 6 all of whom are married. The first wife died about 20 years ago. About 6 years ago the deceased married the widow of Robert Allen, of Castle Hill, who now survives him, whilst also he leaves a sister, Mrs. Waddell, his senior by 4 years, and two brothers, John and Stephen Cusbert, all residing in the district. Mr. Cusbert owned that well known property at the junction of the Dural and Kenthurst roads, known as the Round Corner, as well as the "Ironbarks" at Kenthurst which, by the will, is to be divided among the deceased's children. The "Ironbarks" is left to deceased's grandchildren, that is the children of his late son, Henry John, to whom the old gentleman was very much attached. Two of the deceased's houses in Parramatta are left, one to be sold to defray any expenses, and the other to deceased's widow.
Source: The Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate 23 Feb 1895
142. John Thomas Black
Drowned in the well on his family's property.
162. Septimus Edward Crawford
SMASH AT CROSSING
Septimus Crawford, of "The Pines," Lyons Road, Five Dock, was fatally injured at the Castlereagh Street railway crossing last Friday afternoon in a collision between a train and a car. A Dodge car driven by Reuben Thomas Walton, of Dudley Street, Punchbowl, who was accompanied by Crawford and by Roy Butler, of 88 Northumberland Bond, Stanmore, had been on Lemongrove where the men were selling palms. It was coming down the Crescent at about 4.48 p.m., and attempted to cross the line at the gates as the Mountain train came through. The gatekeeper made a frantic effort to prevent the car from crossing, but it continued on. The three men were seated in the front of the car. Butler, seeing that a collision was imminent, jumped out on to the roadway, and was uninjured. The engine struck the vehicle, and carried it on 18 feet, and wrecked it. Walton, the driver, was thrown from the car. He sustained lacerations to the head and shoulders, Crawford suffered a fractured skull. Both were taken by Nepean-Hawkesbury Ambulance to Nepean District Hospital, where Crawford died at 6.20 p.m. that evening. Walton, after treatment, was able to leave the Hospital. An inquest will be held next Tuesday.
Source: Nepean Times 4 Mar 1933
William Humphrey Tuckwell
Golden Wedding at Castle Hill.
Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Tuckwell, of "Belmore Cottage," Castle Hill, celebrated their golden wedding on Monday last; when, notwithstanding the marked inclemency of the weather, the great majority of their children, together with many of their grandchildren and other relatives, attended to convey their heartiest congratulations. Mr. Tuckwell's family is one of the best known in the Castle Hill District. He has been engaged in the staple industry of that part of the country — fruitgrowing — for about 55 years; his father having been amongst the earliest settlers in that neighbourhood. Mr. Tuckwell, who is in his seventieth year, but who certainly looks considerably younger, is a native of Parramatta. and his father was also Australian-born. The latter — the son of a soldier in one of the military companies who arrived with, or immediately after, Captain Arthur Phillip — was for some time in the service of Rev. S. Marsdon as steward, and afterwards received the appointment of Superintendent of the "Female Factory" — which now forms part of the Parramatta Lunatic Asylum. Somewhere about 1835, a change in the office being contemplated, Mr. Tuckwell was offered anothor position or monetary compensation. He chose the latter, and shortly afterwards removed to the Castle Hill district with his family — his son William Henry, whose golden wedding, (as we have said,) has just been celebrated, being then about fourteen years of age. In, June, 1841, Mr. W. H. Tuckwell married the eldest daughter of Mr. John Kentwell, who, like her husband, was both native-born and the child of a native-born — and in those far-off days children of Australian parentage were comparatively rare. Indeed Mrs. Tuckwell and her father (Mr. Kentwell) both claim Castle Hill district itself as their birthplace. The latter (as he is fond of relating) was born on the day of the one battle of this colony — the "Battle of Vinegar Hill" (Rouse Hill)— in 1804; when Major Johnson with 24 soldiers gallantly encountered and defeated some 250 convicts who had "taken to the bush." The conflict, in fact, occurred within an easy distance of the home of the Kentwell family. To Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Tuckwell during their half-century of married life seventeen children have been born; but five died in early infancy. Eleven still survive — and, of these, seven (two sons and five daughters) were among the company on Monday last. No fewer than five generations were in evidence, from Mr. Kentwell senior to his great-great-grand-child, the infant granddaughter of Mr. W. H. Tuckwell of Parramatta — oldest son of the worthy couple on whose union fifty years have now looked down. The company were entertained at dinner by Mr. and Mrs. Tuckwell senior, who took their seats side by side as in the long ago, and received as "bride" and "bridegroom" the felicitations of the assembled guests. It deserves mention that, exclusive of Mr. and Mrs. Tuckwell themselves, there were present three who had attended the wedding dinner of fifty years before. Those were Mr. Kentwell senior; one of his sons — Mr. J. Kentwell; and a daughter, Mrs. Davis. Out-of-door festivities were, of course, prevented by the weather, but the day was passed in quiet enjoyment within the old home where many of the children of the family were born, and where Mr. and Mrs.Tuckwell have lived since the 'fifties.' And when the company separated (and most of them remained for another night beneath the old roof-tree) it was with the belief that if Time deals not more harshly with the worthy pair than he has hitherto done, their diamond wedding-day may be looked forward to with entire confidence.
Source: The Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Adocate 17 Jun 1891
Death or Mr. W. H. TUCKWELL, Sen.— The opening of the new year witnessed the passing away of an old and respected resident of Castle Hill — the patriarch of an esteemed fruitgrowing family, and a pioneer of the in dustry— Mr. William Humphrey Tuckwell, who died on January 2nd, at the residence of his daughter, Mrs. Collins. The deceased was in the 83rd year of his age, having spent the greater part of a long and industrious life in fruitgrowing at Castle Hill. He was born in Parramatta, his father, the late Mr. Tuckwell, having been an orchardist at Dural. The deceased gentleman married early in manhood, a daughter of the Kentwell family by whom he had a large family. About 3 1/2 years ago, Mr. Tuckwell retired from active work, and handed over his orchard to his sons, going to spend the peaceful remainder of his days in well-earned rest at the abode of his son-in-law, Mr. Collins. There his wife died a little over three years ago, and there he followed her on Saturday last. The funeral took place in St. Paul's Burial Ground, at Castle Hill, on Sun day, the Rev. G. Manning officiating, and Mr. Ralph Meica being the undertaker. A large gathering of the principal residents of the district bore testimony to the respect in which deceased was held. The deceased leaves three sons living - Messrs W. H. Tuckwell, G. T. Tuckwell, and John Tuckwell— and eight daughters, Mrs. Barrett (Orange), Mrs. G. Collins (Castle Hill), Mrs. Fonner (Ashfield), Mrs. Caldwell (Mornys), Mrs. Kippence (Parramatta), Mrs. Casserley (Albury), Mrs. Emanuel (Sydney), and Mrs. Henry (Wallsend). Departure. — Mr. R. Nail and his family are leaving Toongabbie shortly, their future abode being at Hornebush.
Source: The Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate 9 Jan 1904