Australian English Genealogy

Descendants of Elizabeth Morris

Notes - Page 4

John Davis

Death of Mr. John Davis.— Mr. John Davis, who has for many years resided in the Hills district, and was a native of Prospect, died at his residence in Seven Hills, on the 14th inst., at the ripe age of 84 years. The deceased who was widely esteemed and respected, leaves a widow and one son, Mr. Matthew Davis, of Kellyville, and was a brother of Mr. Mark Davis, the well-known bell-ringer of All Saint's, Parramatta. The funeral, which took place at the Castle Hill C.E. burial ground, was largely attended. The Rev. G. Middleton officiated, and Mr. H. Wilkinson was the undertaker. A great number of beautiful floral tributes were received.
Source: The Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate 24 Nov 1900

Mary Ann Purser

KENTWELL. In Loving memory of my dear mother and grandma, Mary Ann Kentwell, who departed this life August 24, 1904 aged 70 years. Sadly missed. Inserted by her fond daughter, Adelaide, and son-in-law Martin McCarty; also grandchildren Effie, Dulcia, Aubrey, Lynton, Roland and Stanley.
Source: The SMH 25 Aug 1905

28. Lucy Jane Kentwell


Mrs. Lucy Jane Noakes, relict of the late Mr. Solomon Noakes, a venerable and respected resident, in the days of the past, of the Hills district, passed away at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. M. H. James, Bawson-street, Haberfield, on the 18th of May. The funeral moved to the Pennant Hills Methodist cemetery on Thursday, and was largely attended. The minister of the Haberfield Methodist Church conducted the burial service. Mrs. Noakes lived for many years at Baulkham Hills. She was a native of Castle Hill, a daughter of old Mr. Kentwell, known to so many families as "Grandfather Kentwell." She was 70 years of age at the time of her death, the same age as that at which her husband passed away, nearly four years ago. They had been married for 59 years. Seven children survive their mother, including Mr. Laban Noakes (the well-known Parramatta businessman). The other sons are Messrs. Louis, Leslie and Leonard Noakes; and the daughters are Mrs. James and Mrs. J. Smith, each of Haberfield, and Mrs. Butterworth, of Enmore. Mrs. Noakes was greatly respected by all who knew her.
Source: The Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowes Advocate 22 May 1915

30. Mary Ann Kentwell

Death Last Week
Mrs. Mary Crane, relict of the late Charles Crane, died at her home, Crane's road, Castle Hill, on Tuesday of last week. She was in her 88th year. Born at Showground-road (about a mile from where she died), on December 3, 1845, she has spent the whole of her life in Castle Hill and with her late husband was one of her first pioneers of the district. Mrs. Crane, before her marriage, was Miss Kentwell, daughter of Mr. John Kentwell, better known locally as "Grandfather Kentwell," and she was the last surviving member of that family. Her mother's name was Elizabeth James. Mr. Crane predeceased her by six years and one day. There were 12 children of the union, nine having predeceased their mother. It will be remembered by older residents that in the year 1876 a serious outbreak of scarlet fever occurred, and many were victims to it, both old and young. Mr. and Mrs. Crane lost six of their family at that time, five dying within 11 days, their ages ranging from five to 12 years. Mrs. Crane also contracted the complaint at the same time. She was confined to her bed for eight weeks previous to her death, and the end was not unexpected. The interment took place on Thursday, in the Church of England Cemetery, Castle Hill, and in spite of the wet day, was very largely attended. A service was held in the church previous to the burial and was conducted, by Rev. Feltons, who referred to deceased's devotion and regular attendance at the house of God; also the high esteem in which she was held by all who knew her, and was expressed by the number of floral tributes forwarded.
Source: The Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate 29 Sep 1932

Charles Crane

The deaths occurred within a few days of each, other of Mr. William Henry Crane, aged 91 years, of Castle Hill, and his brother, Mr. Charles Crane, aged 93, also of Castle Hill. Both were born in Sydney, and went to Castle Hill 90 years ago, where they lived until their death. Both brothers were orchardists. In their early days aborigines were plentiful in the district, and both men had witnessed corroborees at the camping grounds , near Parramatta. They were associated with the Third Infantry Regiment, the first military volunteers in the State, for many years, joining in the 'sixties. Neither of the pioneers were ever ill, and the younger never had a doctor to attend him in his life.
Source: Daily Examiner (Grafton) 30 Sep 1926

32. Jane Kentwell

Local Deaths.
Mrs. Jane Black, wife of Mr. E.. J. Black, of the Western-road, Parramatta, passed away, after a long illness, on the 26th ult. Her funeral, which was very largely attended, moved to Castle Hill the next day (Saturday). -The Rev. Mr. Williams, curate of St. Paul's, Castle Hill, — where for many years Mrs. Black had worshippod when a resident in that district — officiated at the grave-side. Mrs.
Black, who was highly esteemed by a wide circle of friends, was a daughter of' Mr. John Kentwell. She leaves five sons, (the
oldest Mr. S. M. C. Black, of Castle Hill) and three daughters (the oldest Mrs. Harrison). The deceased lady was 62 years of age. —
Source: The Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate 3 Feb 1912

Edwin Joseph Black

Mr. Black, who was 88 years of age, was a native of Dural, where his father was one of the pioneer farmers. In his early days he was also concerned with farming, and many a wheat crop was garnered from his property. Later, he transferred his attention to fruit growing, but it was as a coach proprietor that is was best known. Fifty years ago he established a line of coaches between Galston and Parramatta, and his four and five-horse teams were a feature of the road-traffic in those days. His son, Mr. Charles Black, the well known judge of horses at agricultural shows gained considerable fame as a driver of a dashing team of greys that took the Hill's coach along at a very fast rate. Later, deceased ran coaches from Pennant Hills to Parramatta, via Carlingford and he also was a proprietor of a livery stable near the Bank of NSW, Parramatta. Mr Black was recognised as an expert among horses and a one time he had a team of hacks and hunters that carried off many prizes in the show ring. Some of his best remembered horses were Receipt, Sunshine, Chester and Whitefoot. The last one was in the ownership of Mr Black for 25 years, during which period he carried off no few than 285 ribbons. Deceased's jumpers were ridden by Mr. Tom Luckey, the veteran clerk of the course at metropolitan race courses and by Mr Tommy Grimes, one-time cross-country rider and now a resident of Harris Park. Mr. Black was always in the forefront of workers in the Hills district and was one of the founders of the Castle Hill show. It was stated that when the present showground was being cleared he frequently worked till 11 o'clock at night drawing logs with his horses. When ploughing matches were popular, he was a champion at what is known as 'swing' ploughing.   During the last 25 years, Mr. Black had lived close to Parramatta, and his death occurred at his home in Wentworthville. His wife predeceased him, as did a son, but four sons and three daughters survive. The funeral, which took place on Monday, was largely attended, and among those at the graveside, in the old Castle Hill Church of England cemetery were many friends of deceased's boyhood.
Source: The Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate 21 Apr 1932

Ellen Lynch

Arrived with her mother (widow) and sister on the Joshua.

Ellen was hanged in 1887 in Boggo Road prison after being convicted of killing her husband

The Port Douglas Murder.
(From the Townsville Bulletin.)
ELLEN THOMPSON and John Harrison were charged at the Circuit Court, Townsville, on the 3rd instant, before Mr. Justice Cooper, with the murder of William Thompson, on the 22nd October last, near Port Douglas. Mr. Leu appeared for the prisoners, each of whom pleaded not guilty. The Crown Prosecutor opened the case against John Harrison and Ellen Thompson, for the murder of William Thompson. He said that the female prisoner had not lived happily with her deceased husband, and that the prisoner Harrison was cause of trouble between them. Harrison was a deserter from the Myrmidon, and had been requested by Thompson to leave his house. Thompson was jealous of Harrison. Mr. Power, after giving the jury a statement at considerable length of the case for the Crown, and reading portions of the evidence given by the prlsoners at the inquiry as to Thompson's death, called his witnesses. C. A. Collard said he was clerk of petty sessions at Port Douglas. He remembered the inquiry into the death of William Thompson, held on the 21st of October last. The deceased man lived on the Mossman river, about 10 miles from Port Douglas. The prisoners gave sworn evidence at the inquiry. The depositions now in his hands contained the evidence given by the prisoners, and the signatures attached were theirs. (These depositions were here read aloud to the court.)
Patrick Moran said he was a labourer, and that last October the female prisoner was living with her husband on their selection The male prisoner was living with Marshall, about half a mile away, on Buchanan's selection. Witness had been working with Harrison on the Mossman River "snagging" up to a week before 22nd October. They were together at Thompson's on the Friday before the 22nd. Witness was playing the concertina on that evening, and he had often been there before with the prisoner. When they arrived, witness bid Thompson good night. Thompson said to Harrison, "I thought you had gone away." Harrison replied, "I have not gone yet." Thompson said, "If you do not go, I will shoot you." Harrison replied to the effect that he was not frightened, and had "done away" with better men than he. Thompson said that it was a great shame for a young man like Harrison to be annoying an old man like him. Thompson was an old man. The female prisoner was then sitting a little bit away from the veranda. Thompson told Harrison to clear away in an hour's time. Harrison said that he would not so long as there was no notice up to tell him not to come near the place. Thompson then put his hand in his shirt, and the female prisoner said, "Look out, Jack; he has got a revolver ; you do not know what the old b— might do." Thompson had previously said, "Jack, what do you come here hawking the old woman about the place like this every day for?" Harrison said that he was not hawking her, and Thompson called him a liar. Prisoner called Thompson a liar. Thompson then said that if Harrison did not go away in a few minutes he would make him. It was then that Thompson put his hand in his shirt. Thompson said to the female prisoner when she warned Harrison, "What do you want, you b—— old thing." Thompson challenged Harrison to fight a duel, and the prisoner replied that he would if they had two witnesses. Thompson said that they should come single-handed, and "that the best man should keep the old woman." For two months previously Harrison had been visiting Thompson's place. About a week before this visit the prisoner and the witness were in a boat together coming back from Thompson's. Harrison and the female prisoner had walked from the boat to Thompson's house, and Harrison, when he rejoined the witness in the boat, said that he "had got what he wanted from Mrs. Thompson." The day after Thompson's death he saw the prisoner Harrison at Thompson's about 8 o'clock in the evening. Harrison followed witness out to the gate and said, "Look here, Paddy, old Billy Thompson has gone now. You say nothing about me and him. If you do you know the consequence." Witness said that he would say nothing about any of them. Harrison said, "You or any man I hear talking I will make it very hot for." Two weeks before Thompson's death the prisoner Harrison said to witness, "Is it not a curious thing that she should be telling me that if Thompson was gone the property would belong to her?"  Francis M. Little said that he was a clerk in the Bank of New South Wales, where the deceased man had an account. On the 22nd of October last Thompson, called at the bank and seemed to be in good health, and neither low spirited nor excited. By Mr. Leu : Deceased had an overdraft at the bank and was expecting money. He asked about the matter that day and learned that there was none for him. He did not seem disappointed, but said that he had expected some money. Neil McLean said that he was a licensed victualler in Port Douglas. He knew Thompson and the female prisoner. About 1 o'clock on the 22nd of October last, Thompson called
at witness's house on business. Thompson was sober and in good health. On the following morning Harrison said to witness in answer to witness's expression of astonishment at Thompson's shooting himself, because they had an appointment for that morning, that it did not do to say too much, or he might get himself into it. To the Judge : Had known Thompson for 16 years. Thompson was a steady man. Ah Loy, a Chinaman, whose evidence was given through an interpreter, was sworn by blowing out a candle. Witness said he was a
gardener living at the Mossman River. Knew Mr. Thompson and Harrison. His garden was near two and a-half miles from Thompson's.
On the afternoon of the day on which Thompson died, he went past Thompson's house. Saw the two prisioners in the house in a bedroom. Saw them through the window get out of a bed together. He was five or six yards away from them. Mrs. Thompson wore a print dress, and Harrison wore a flannel shirt and moleskin trousers. Witness went to Mrs. Buchanan's, and on his way back called at Thompson's kitchen for a glass of water. That was about a quarter past 4 o'clock. Then saw the prisoner in the dining-room. They were dancing. Witness got on his horse and went home. Met Thompson about three-quarters of a mile away riding home. Thompson was sober. Edward George Marshall, who had been sworn the previous evening, deposed that he knew a man named Patrick Moran, who was living on the punt on the Daintree River with the snagging party on the 22nd October last. He knew the prisoners and William Thompson, the female prisoner's husband. Was bailiff on a selection belonging to Mrs. Buchanan on the 22nd October; but was now working with the snagging party. Prisoner was with witness up till 10 or 11 o'clock on the morning of the 22nd October, when he walked away. He returned between 3 and 4 o'clock the same day, and left again about 6 o'clock, when he said, "I am going to the Seven-mile, which was about nine miles from where witness was working) to look for employment." Witness said, "You are not going there at this time of night. I should leave it for the morning." He said, "No; I intend going." He then left, taking his swag with him. Witness went to bed that evening about half-past 7, and after being asleep he heard a rap at the door, and shouted, "Who's there ?" when prisoner Harrison said, "Me; let me in." Got up and let him in the door, and said, "I thought you told me you were going to the seven-mile to-night." He said "I got as far as Mike Lannen's fence, when it came on too dark, and I thought I would turn back and go the next day. I saw two kanaka boys. They gave me some rum and said they were going to the sugar plantation." That was all that passed then. It was a very dark night. Mike Lannen's place was about a mile and a-half from where witness was living.
Mrs. Thompson, the female prisoner, came to witness's place about a quarter of an hour or 20 minutes after. She rapped at the door, which was closed and said, "Ted, for God's sake get up. I am afraid there is something happened to Billy. I heard the report of firearms,
a fall, and a groan." Witness said, "Did you not go to see what was the matter?"  She then said, "I have got a bottle of rum here. You-had better take a good nip to liven you up." Before she said this she said, "I wish Jack had not gone to the Seven-mile." - 'Witness said, ' He has come back, and is lying down on the floor.' After Mrs. Thompson came in she said, ' Get up, Jack, and go down.' Harrison then came into the room, and all three had some rum. Witness then went to the Chinaman's, who lived about 20 yards from the house, and got a lantern, and then all three started for Thompson's place. While walking over witness mentioned something about Harrison's going over to the Seven-mile and coming back. When they got to the house and went in, Mrs. Thompson went in and got a light, and all three went out of the house to the outbuilding, and when going up to the door where William Thompson was lying, Mrs. Thompson said, 'you'd better let me open the door, because there is a curious way of opening it.' She pushed the door open, and Harrison and witness went inside by themselves, and witness saw Thompson lying on his left side on the floor, and partly under the foot of a stretcher. Witness said to Harrison, 'This is a serious job, Jack,' and he said, ' Yes.' Mrs. Thompson did not come into the room. A revolver was lying about 10 inches from Thompson's legs. When witness and Harrison first went in, female prisoner said, ' Do you think he can speak? Thompson was alive, and witness said, 'I'll try him.' Witness stooped down and shouted three or four times, ' Billy.'  Got no reply, but heard a funny noise in deceased's throat, who was too far gone to speak. Witness said, 'He ought to be seen to by a doctor,' and Harrison said, ' It is too dark. We will never get into Port Douglas.'  The road was very bad, and a person unaccustomed to it would not have been able to reach Port Douglas, which was 8 or 9 miles off. Mrs. Thompson, who was outside all the time, said something about washing her husband's face. Witness said, ' I would not advise you to do anything to him whatever, as it is against the law, until the doctor and the police have seen the body.' Witness noticed a wound on the right forehead of deceased above the temple, and there was a great deal of blood about his face and on his forehead, and there was a pool of blood in the corner of the room, about 8 inches from his head, and a little under his head on the floor. The room in which deceased was lying was about 6 x 8, or perhaps a little bigger. Witness and Harrison left the room, but before doing so witness accidentally upset the lantern, which was on the floor. They then went out, the female prisoner accompanying them, into the dining room and got a fresh light, and returned to where Thomson was lying. He was not then quite dead ; and witness and Harrison remained there a few minutes, and witness could see that Thompson would not last much longer.  Witness believed Mrs. Thompson asked whether he was gone or dead, and just then he gave a sort of twitch and died. They all three then returned to the dining- room, where Mrs.Thompson asked witness if he would write a letter to the inspector of police to the effect that her husband had either accidentally shot himself or committed suicide. Witness wrote the letter, and afterwards Mrs. Thompson produced a bottle of rum, and Harrison and witnees had a drink. They all sat a few minutes, when Mrs. Thompson proposed that they should go to bed. She showed witness into a little room next to hers, and Harrison was to sleep on the dining-room table. Witness went to bed, but had no sleep all night. After being in bed some little time, witness heard whimpering going on in the female prisoner's room. As far us witness knew, there was no one about the house at this time except the two prisoners and himself. In the morning witness believed Harrison went into town with the letters. Before going away witness went into the room to see Thompson's body, and saw a pannikin on the floor, and saw a scratch about 2 feet Iong in the wooden floor up to the heel of one of
deceased's boots. Saw that the wound on head was a little jagged. It was about the size of a shilling, and looked like it bullet wound.
A week before witness went to Thompson's place with Harrison and Patrick Moran. When there Thompson said to Harrison, ' I thought that you were gone.' Harrison said, 'Not yet, Billy.' Thompson spoke in an angry tone, but Harrison was more mild. Thompson said, 'If you are not gone I will shoot you,' and Harrison went up to Thompson and said, 'Look here, Billy, you needn't think I'm frightened of you. I've made away with many better men than you.' Thompson said, ' You ? , you ought to be ashamed of yourself to come here annoying an old man like me.' Witness heard no more then, as he went away. Did not hear Mrs. Thompson say anything at the time. Harrison became excited, and they (Thompson and he) were talking when witness went away. Mrs. Thompson had been at witness's house about 6 o'clock on the 22ud October, when Harrison was there. She came up with a letter, for Harrison to read, and did not stop above 10 minutes.
Ah Wing, Ah Chew, Ah Hoy, Richard Owen Joins, and John George Robbins were then examined in turn, after which Jane LeOn, married woman, wife of La On, a cook, deposed that in October last she lived on the Mossman River, within 100 yards of Thompson's place. Since Thompson's death the prisoners had lived in Thompson's house. Witness had her meals there for eight weeks. On one occasion witness and Mrs. Thompson were talking, when witness said, ' Do you think that Harrison killed your husband ? Harrison was living in the same house with her then. She said, 'Yes. I think he would do any thing for money. Don't you think so?' Witness said, ' Yes,' and said, 'Do you think he did it by himself ?' She said that she thought a kanaka helped him. She also said that her husband went out that
night and got some water in a pannikin, and when he got to the room in which he was sleeping, that she heard him fall to the ground as if
he had received a blow, and the pannikin sounded on the ground. She said that she got up and went in the place where Thompson was
supposed to be sleeping, and that the room was in darkness. She called out to see if anything was the matter, and on receiving no answer she went to Marshall's place. Before Mrs. Thompson said that she went to Marshall's, she said that she heard a shot. Witness then said that she heard that there were two shots, but, Mrs. Thompson said there was only one. 
Denis Casey, senior-constable of police, stationed at Port Douglas, arrested the female prisoner on the 6th January, on board the steamer Glaworth, and read a warrant to her.  She said, ' My husband thought to do away with himself long ago. Who's going to prove
this, because I went south to get a lawyer's advice? This is young Thompson's and Swanwack's doings. Jones is the man who altered
the will.' Witness said, 'Which Jones?'  She said, ' He's one of the trustees. '
Cross-examined by Mr. Leu: Mrs. Thompson also said that the charge was not true ; that it was false.
Henry Oubridge, a clerk, deposed that he was lately in Townsville gaol, serving a sentence of three mouths. Remembered the 8th February— the day before his release. Prisoner Harrison and another man were in the same cell with witness on the night of the 8th February. They were locked up about 5 o"clock, and he and the prisoner began to talk of the places they had come from in England. About 11 at night prisoner asked witness to draw his blanket down to the corner whore he was lying. Witness did so, and prisoner then said, ' What do you think of my case?' Witness said, 'I know nothing about it.' He knew that Harrison was charged with murder, but did
not know the facts of the case. Prisoner said, ' Between you and I, I knocked old Thompson over. ' We tried to poison him twice but it
took no effect. I had a row with old Thompson, and packed up my swag and went away. After about two hours I came back, and then
Mrs. Thompson encouraged me and tempted me to do away with the old man. I fire at him without effect. He was then lying down on the ground, and turned round to Mrs. Thompson and said to her, ' You are sending me to my death.' She mocked and laughed at him, and said ' Jack go at him again.' Prisoner then said, 'I sent a bullet right through his head.' ' Witness then asked him why he would do such as thing as that. He said, 'There was sugar hanging to it. We made it up between the two of us to stay until all suspicion was over, and then we agreed that Mrs Thompson should go up, to Charters Towers, and I would meet her in Townsville, and we would go south'. He then told witness about having a good revolver and a rifle, and said, ' She had as much to do with it as me. ' Prisoner said, 'The - — - old fool would come back from Charters Towers. I do not care for her; it; is the sugar I want.' -He mentioned something about an old box with money in the house, but witness was not sure what he did say. Harrison said that he was a deserter from the navy, and that he had a wife who had a warrant out for him, and asked witness to take a message out of gaol for him.  It was a verbal message.
Cross-examined by Mr. Leu: Witness had been in gaol for uttering a £1 cheque. First gave information as to the statement just made to the Crown about three weeks ago.  Since the court commenced its sittings he had become aware that Mr. Lou was advocate for the prisoners in the case, and wrote to him a letter (produced), asking him if he (witness) could see Mr. Leu for two or three minutes with reference to the case.  All that time he did not tell Mr. Leu that at the time he (witness) made that statement he was suffering from drink and the effects of opium. Witness asked Mr. Leu the best way of getting out of giving the statement at court. Witness repeated that he did not tell Mr. Leu that he was suffering from the effects of drink and opium when he made the statement to the police.  Re-examined by Mr. Power: Mr. Leu said that the Crown could take no steps against him (witness) if he did not give the statement. He said all he (witness) had to do when he got into the box was to say that Mrs. Thompson went into the hut to call Marshall and Harrison on the night of the murder, and then he corrected himself, No, I mean the night of Thompson's death. Further examined by Mr. Leu: Witness said that Mr. Leu did not say that he could give witness no advice, and that he (witness) would have to state what he knew about the matter in court.
Medical testimony of a minute character was then taken. 
John Harvey Payne, a sugar boiler on the Mossman River, saw Thompson on October 21 last at deceased's house. The female prisoner
was there ironing shirts. She said they were Jack's shirts. He asked who Jack was, and she said that he was one of the snagging party.
She said that 'Billy' was very jealous of Jack. That 'Billy' only knew that she had two, but that a number of others hanging on the line were Jack's. She said that ' Billy' was going to town next day and that Jack was coming there, when she would be able to do the shirts up without ' Billy' seeing them. She said that 'Billy' had threatened to shoot Jack.
At the conclusion of the case for the Crown, Mr. Leu said he would like to go into the witness box to make a statement in connection
with his interview with Oubridge. In reply to his Honour, the Crown Prosecutor said he would prefer Mr. Leu's giving the evidence subject to cross-examination, and waive his right to reply.  Mr. Leu was then sworn, and said that on April 29th, whilst attending court here, he was informed some one was looking for him, and when he was subsequently interviewing the prisoners now before the court, in the watchhouse yard, he received the note that he had produced that morning; was informed by the bearer of the note that Oubridge was in the Court House Hotel. Saw Oubridge there in a side parlour. Asked him what he wanted to see him for. He said it was in connection with the statement he had made about Harrison's case. Witness asked him how he came to make that statement.  Oubridge said that he had been suffering from drink and the effects of opium. Witness asked him what he had said. Oubridge replied that it was a long statement, and he would like to know how to get out of it. Oubridge asked witness to tell him what to do. Witness told him he could give him no advice, that he would have to state what he knew. Witness asked Oubridge if any other person was present when Harrison made the admissions. Oubridge said, ' Yes, a man named Harrington.' The conversation could not have lasted more than two or three minutes. At that time he had not read the depositions, and did not know that a man named Marshall was connected with the case. Oubridge then appeared to be suffering from drink.  By Mr. Power : Oubridge did not say that the story that he told the Crown was false, nor that it wus true. Told him that if the statement was not true he had the power to contradict it. He was evidently anxious to get out of giving evidence. He did not say whether he had been subpoenaed. Did not say that he had given a written statement of his evidence to the Crown Solicitor.
The case lasted till the 6th instant, when the jury brought in a verdict of guilty against both prisoners, and they were sentenced to death.
Source: The Telegraph (Brisbane) 12 May 1887