Australian English Genealogy

Descendants of George Colless


(Page 5)

44. Joseph Colless

WASTELL— COLLESS.— On the 22nd inst, at St. Matthew's Church, Boulder City, by the. Rev, E. M. Collick, Augustus William, son of William Henry Wastell, of Melbourne, Victoria, to Phoebe, daughter of Joseph Colless, of Kanowna, W.A., and late of Bourke, N.S.W.
Source: Kalgoorlie Miner 1899

316. Edwin H Colless

Died June 24, 1945,  in his 70th year, at his late residence, 53 Cambridge-street, West Leederville. Husband of Mary A.,  stepfather of Grace (Mrs A. Nash), Maud (Mrs M. Eddy) and Celia (Mrs Bowden). Ray, Arthur, Mick and Jack; loved grandfather of Jean Stephney, Bill, Frank and Glenice; great-grandfather of Ian and Godfrey; loved brother of Phoebe and Jos (deceased): brother-in-law of Nettie and uncle of Jack, Oswald and Phoebe.

317. Frederick Jocelyn Colless

Died while a POW in German hands

319. Oswald Colless

Divorced 1915

45. Edwin Colless

Come by Chance

321. Eva Colless

Mr and Mrs Edwin Colless, of Emu Plains, have boon having of late their cup full of bitterness. About three years ago their eldest, daughter, Eva, was stricken down with a serious illness, so serious that despite her mother's and friends care, she had to be removed to the Nepean Cottage Hospital where, after a lengthy period, she got better and was allowed to be removed, and in her own house, with the kind attention of all interested, she eventually recovered, and was so well that she decided to enter into a large mercantile house, where she would have been welcome, but her parents thought she would be better at home. At home she assisted in the domestic duties in a manner most praiseworthy, and was beloved by all neighbours, being of a cheerful and obliging disposition. Later on she was stricken down with a severe attack of rheumatism, which so affected her heart that she was again removed to the hospital. Dr Elworthy, who attended her, gave very little hope from the start, and although all that the staffs careful nursing could do, and the great assistance by mother, friends and neighbours, she breathed her last on Friday of last week, at the age of 15 years and 10 months, her remains being interred at Emu, Church of England portion, Rev R L Houston conducted the service, and Mrs Price and Son having charge of the funeral arrangements. Mrs J Colless, Emu, presided at organ in the church, and not only accompanied the hymn " Safe in the Arms of Jesus," but also played the " Dead March " in Saul.
Source: Nepean Times 5 Sep 1908

46. James William Colless

James William Colless, who died at his home at Gallipoli-street, Concord, on Thursday, was born at Emu Plains 70 years ago, and was the last surviving member of a family of 13. He retired from the Railway Department a few years ago, after 52 years service, during the later years of which he was in turn stationmaster at Kingswood, Temora, Parkes, Campbelltown, Liverpool, Mount Victoria, Auburn, and Lidcombe. About two years ago Mr. Colless received the King's long service medal. He was the foundation Master of Masonic Lodge The Queen's, No. 220, St. Marys. He was Master during 1901-1902 and continued as a member up to the time of his death. Mr. Colless is survived by his widow and a family of four. The remains were interred in the Church of England portion of Rookwood Cemetery.
Source: The SMH 19 Oct 1934

Lived at Station Rd Auburn

329. Cecil Edwin Colless

Death of Mr Cecil Colless
The terribly sad and tragic fatality by which Mr Cecil Edwin Colless (lately appointment clerk in the Staff Office, Railways, Sydney) lost his life at Liverpool Railway Station on Wednesday night of last week— the deceased having been run over, presumably, while crossing the line— has removed from our earthly sphere, in the flower of his early manhood, one of the most popular and trusted of the clerical staff of the State Railway Department, and who had deservedly gained the esteem and confidence of his colleagues, and of a large circle of the general public. The lamentable accident by which the late Mr Colless met his death can only be regarded as one of those inexplicable occurrences which from time to time transpire in the most unexpected situations; perhaps the most tangible explanation of the sad event is that the deceased, who was residing at Liverpool with his parents (his father being Stationmaster there), was returning home from Sydney— as he had been working overtime on special official business recently— and was in the act of crossing the rails to reach his home on the eastern side of the line when struck down unexpectedly by the mail train. Naturally, the shocking news of the young man's tragical death prostrated the parents of deceased, and cast a gloom over Penrith, where deceased was well known, having been a native of Castlereagh— with which district, Emu and Penrith, his parents and relatives have been connected for many years. The late Mr Cecil Colless, who was in his 29th year, received his early schooling at Kingswood and Penrith Public Schools, and later at the Sydney High School. On leaving school he joined the clerical staff in the District Superintendent's Office at Penrith. His marked ability gained him rapid promotion, and he filled various responsible positions in the service, until he attained the office of appointment clerk in the Staff Office, in this capacity the deceased carried out his important duties with the utmost credit and fidelity, to the entire satisfaction and benefit of the Department, while at the same time he avoided the imposition of harshness or hardship upon employees, and was always ready to assist his fellows with a kindliness all his own. In fact, ' Cess ' Colless, was, admittedly, on the testimony of scores of acquaintances, one of the very best and whitest of officials and associates; innately obliging and considerate. The late Mr Colless was a member of the Masonic Craft, being attached to Lodges St Andrews, Sydney, and Queen's, St Marys. At the inquest into the sad circumstances the Coroner found that deceased was accidentally killed by being run over by a train on the night mentioned above.  There was a very large attendance at the funeral at Liverpool on Friday afternoon of last week. Prior to leaving the house, a short service was held by the Rev Ralph Hunter. The coffin (of polished oak and silver mountings) was carried to the hearse by brethren of Lodge St Andrew's. The cortege was headed by the band of the 17th Infantry (supplied by the Camp Commandant, Col Humphreys), which played the ' Dead March in Saul,' etc. The body was taken into St Luke's Church of England, where the Rev H J Noble also conducted a service; the last rites at the graveside being carried out by Revs H J Noble and George Brown (late of Perith), an acquaintance of deceased from infancy. Wor Bro W H Wrench (of Queen's Lodge, St. Marys) conducted the Masonic service. A large number of Masonic brethren attended from St. Marys, Penrith, and and St Andrew's (Sydney). In addition to members of deceased's own family, a large number of relatives also attended the funeral. The railway service was well represented, amongst the principal officers present being Mr P Smith (District Superintendent of Railways, Sydney), Inspectors J Anderson, Dowling, Pearce, Dacey and Johnson; Mr C J Giles (Goods Managers' Inspector); Mr G H Chambers (Staff Clerk, District Superintendent's Office); Mr S B Stainton (Coaching Stock Inspector). The Mayor of Liverpool (Ald F W Webster) and several aldermen also attended; as well as Mr J C Hunt, Member for the District. Over sixty beautiful Wreaths were received, including the following:— From the brethren of Lodge Liverpool, Army Service Corps, Militar Provost Staff, Goods Manager's Office (Challis House), Clerical Staff Coaching Stock Department, Railway Advertising and Printing Staff, Officers and Staff State Hospital (Liverpool), Lodge Federation (Campbelltown), Liverpool Post Office Staff. Over 300 telegrams, letters and cards of sympathy have been received by the parents of deceased, each testifying to the high esteem in which the late Mr Colless was held.
Source: Nepean Times 17 Apr 1915

An impressive unveiling ceremony took place in the Church of England portion of the old cemetery, Liverpool,  on
Sunday, April 9th. The occasion was the uncovering of a magnificent monument erected as a mark of esteem
to the late Cecil E. Colless, son of Mr J W Colless, Liverpool's esteemed stationmaster, by his late  fellow
employees in the Railway Department. The special train conveyed about eight carriages of visitors to Liverpool to
take part in the proceedings, and included the Railway Military Band. Although the afternoon was made unpleasant
by continuous showers quite a number of local people attended- in addition to the visitors, which numbered about
1000, including Messrs J C Hunt, G Burgess, and Hickey, M.L.A., the heads of every  Department, amongst
whom was noticed Mr1P Smith, District Superintendent, Messrs Dacey, Harrison, W Pearce and Dowling,
traffic Inspectors; Mr Giles, goods manager ; Mr W Johnson, acting chief ticket inspector; Mr Collins, Secretary
Railway' Ambulance ; Mr Ainsworth, General Secretary Drivers and Firemans Association; Mr Anderson,
Prosecuting Office ; and a number of stationmasters, among whom were noticed Messrs Casserley, Erskineville;
Heather, Canley Vale; Casey, Cabramatta. The procession formed up at the station and marched to the cemetery,
guided by Sergeant Kelly and headed by the band playing the Funeral March. Arriving at the graveside the Rev. H J
Noble conducted praColless Monumentyers. After reading  letters of apology, from Rev G Brown, clergyman to the Colless family for
four generations, and Rev Hunter,  also a close associate of the family, Mr Noble read the history of the late Cecil E
Colless, and referred to the very fine nature displayed throughout his career to his fellow workmen by the late
departed friend. Mr P Smith, District Superintendent of Railways, in whose office the young man had been engaged,
unveiled the beautiful stone, and spoke in the highest terms of the noble character of their departed friend whom he
had known from boyhood; he exhorted all young men to carry out their duties as faithfully and well to their
master as did his young friend, and they would rise to prominence and deserved popularity, as that beautiful
monument proved Cecil Edwin Colless to have attained. Addresses were also delivered by Hickey, M.L.A. During the              Liverpool Pioneers' Memorial Park
afternoon the band rendered 'Spring Grove Dirge,' ' Onward Christian Soldiers,' and 'The Old Hundredth,' under the
conductorship of Mr C. Helm. After the unveiling ceremony those assembled sang a verse of ' Abide With Me.' '
The monument bears the following inscription: — ' In -loving memory of Cecil Edwin Colless, dearly beloved son of
J W and H A Colless, who was accidentally killed at Liverpool Railway Station on 7th April, 1915, aged 29 years.
Loved by all who knew him. Erected as a tribute of respect by his fellow employees of the New South Wales Railways.'
On the face of the obelisk is emblazoned in gold a railway signal showing 'all clear ahead.' — 'Liverpool News.'
Source: Nepean Times 29 Apr 1916

332. Clarence Nepean Colless

Accidently killed

49. Charles Edward Evans

SATURDAY, JULY 20, 1901. - Local and General - Death of a prominent Colonist
On Saturday last there passed, away, at his daughter's (Mrs W. O. Colless) residence, Come-By-Chance, Charles Edward Evans, J.P., in his 62nd year. Mr Evans had been ill for the last six months, suffering from kidney complaint. No dangerous symptoms, however, appeared, although he had several severe attacks, until a couple of months ago, Then it was that his family decided to take him on to Sydney to secure the best medical advice. As soon as he got a little better, arrangements were made to bring him on, and he left his own home (some 20 miles further back) and got to his daughter's place, where he again took very ill, and his life was despaired of. In fact, at that time the writer received a telegram stating he was sinking fast. The next wire was most assuring, and this was followed by others, until it was thought all danger was past. Nothing further was heard till the wire on Saturday night announcing his death. The late Mr Evans, first cousin of the proprietor of this journal, was born on the old farm of the Evans family, called "Evandale," at Emu Plains, and was fourth son of the late Mr James Evans. He married a daughter of the late Mr Henry Hall, of Emu Plains, and has 12 children, living - eight males and four females — the eldest daughter, Mary, being married to Mr W. C. Colless, eldest son of Mr Arthur Colless, of Come-by-Chance. Deceased spent a good deal of his time in the district where he was born, butha od occasional spells on Bungle Gully Station, owned by the firm of Evans Bros, of which he was manager. His brothers remaining are William, Edwin, and Thomas, the two former residing at or near Bungle Gully, the latter at Emu Plains. His sisters still living are Mrs T Player, of Emu Plains, Mrs John Ryan and Mrs Allerton, of the Glebe, and Mrs W J Rayner, of Perth (W.A.). Like his brother Ted he was a first-class cricketer, and was champion pigeon shot, having won the gold cup and purse of sovereigns in 1880. He was a prominent Mason and Forester, belonging for years to the old Queen's Lodge Masons and the Court Goodfellowship Foresters, both of Penrith; was churchwarden for some years of St. Paul's Church, Emu, and during his residence in the district assisted in every charitable object. Deceased's remains were interred in tho Come-by-Chance Cemetery, the funeral being by far the largest ever seen in the district.
Source: Nepean Times 20 Jly 1901

John Tobin Ryan

Mr John Ryan who died at Balmain on Tuesday, in his 93rd year, was a son of the late Mr J. T. Ryan, who was one of the pioneers of the Penrith district and at one time
represented it in the Legislative Assembly Born at Emu Plains, Mr Ryan was for a time in the employ of the City Council, and subsequently in the old traffic department. In later years he engaged in droving, more particularly in Queensland, and also made several trips to China in charge of horses. He had lived in retirement for about 20 years.
The funeral took place on Wednesday at the Emu Plains Cemetery.
Source: The SMH 28 Dec 1934

54. Edwin Evans

Educated at Newington College.

Professional Kangaroo shooter.

Between 1881 and 1886, Edwin, was a first class cricketer who played in six tests. He was an off spinner with an ability to consistently land the ball accurately. When he joined the national team his accuracy deserted him, and he failed to make a serious impact.

William John Rayner

Arrived in Australia in 1839. John (William) and Abraham Rayner started the Australia's first tweed factory.
Owned general store in Springwood.
Left Springwood for Perth, WA then moved to South Africa