Australian English Genealogy

Descendants of George Colless


(Page 15)

Ada Celia Dent

Death of Mrs. Vivian Colless
We regret to have to record the death of Mrs Ada Celia Colless, wife of Mr Vivian R Colless, of Springwood, and eldest daughter of Mrs Geo Dent, sen., of Lethbridge Street, Penrith, and the late Mr George Dent —the sad event taking place at her mother's home on Friday morning of last week. The cause of death, we understand, was heart failure, supervening on childbirth; and the death of the deceased lady is the more pathetic since she leaves a young family of nine children, the eldest member of which is but 15 years of age, and the youngest an infant in arms. Deceased was a native of Penrith, and in her 42nd year, and was of a remarkably genial and cheerful temperament. In her girlhood she had been ardently interested in churchwork, and for a number of years had conducted a class in St Stephen's Sunday School, of which her father (the late Mr Geo Dent, sen, was superintendent for a considerable time. Mrs Colless frequently acted as organist at the Springwood Church, and took an active interest in church matters generally. Of Mrs Colless parental family circle the following members are living— Messrs Charles, George, Thomas, Alick and Oliver Dent (brothers), and Mrs C Hall, of Lethbridge Street, Penrith (sister). Her mother (Mrs Dent) is hale and hearty, and her father (the late Mr Geo Dent), as will be remembered, passed away about three months ago. The interment was in the Church of England portion of the Penrith General Cemetery on Saturday of last week, Rev M G Hinsby, officiating at the graveside, assisted by Rev F Kellett of Springwood. The funeral arrangements were carried out by Mr J T Huxley, of Penrith. We beg to tender our sympathy, with the bereaved husband and family, and relatives of deceased in their sad bereavement.
Source: Nepean Times 6 May 1916

1019. Roy Lucas Colless

IN DIVORCE. (Before the Judge in Divorce, Mr. Justice Boyce.)
Reserved judgment was delivered in the contested suit in which Annie Patricia Colless (formerly Ryan) asked for divorce from Roy Lucas Colless on the ground that he had, during one year previous to the presentation of her petition, repeatedly assaulted and cruelly beaten her. Respondent denied his wife's allegations. Petitioner and respondent were married at Middle Park, Melbourne, Victoria, on October 9, 1926, according to the rites of the Roman Catholic Church.  Before giving judgment his Honor thanked counsel engaged in the case for the careful manner in which it had been conducted. His Honor said he had to decide whether during the 12 months preceding the petition the husband had repeatedly assaulted and cruelly beaten the petitioner. His Honor found that for eight and a half months there was no evidence upon which he could rely as to that. Though prepared to hold that because of what had happened from October 12 to January 3 Mrs Colless was entitled to the protection of the Court, his Honor was not satisfied that she had proved facts which would entitle her to the relief asked, within the meaning of the sub-section of the Act, but had only proved assaults and cruel beatings during portion of the year. He was, therefore, disposed, if it was applied for, to grant the petitioner a judicial separation. At the request of counsel, his Honor allowed the matter to stand over for argument whether he should grant a judicial separation. Mr. J. K. Emerton (instructed by Messrs. Brady and Gaden) appeared for the petitioner; and Mr. Gordon Wallace (instructed by Messrs. Baker and Baker) for the respondent.
Source: The SMH 17 May 1934

1021. Oliver A Colless

Mr Oliver Arthur Colless, son of Mr Vivian Colless, of Leura, died in the Sydney Hospital on Friday, 13th July, at the age of 20 years. Deceased was a nephew of Mr Arthur Colless and Mrs Killen, of Penrith, and Mr E. Colless, of Emu. With reference to his death the "Mudgee Guardian", says: "Extreme sadness prevailed amongst the people of Gulgong on Saturday morning, when the news was received that Mr O. Colless, postal clerk at Gulgong Post Office, had died in the Sydney Hospital on Friday night. As a result of cold contracted some weeks ago, he had to enter the Gulgong District Hospital with a complaint in the head, and three weeks ago was removed to Sydney. He was a fine young man, and was highly thought of in Gulgong, where he had been residing for nearly twelve months. He was well liked and esteemed by every one who knew him, and was one of the Gulgong football team's best players. As a mark of respect the members of the team, during the match at Gulgong yesterday, wore black arm bands." The funeral took place on Monday, 16th inst., the interment being in the C. of E. portion of Penrith General Cemetery, Rev. H. N. Powys conducted the service.
Source: Nepean Times 28 Jly 1928

421. Arthur James Colless

Owned soft drink factory in Moss Vale before the death of his first wife.

Elizabeth Jane Culbert Rawson

Death of Mrs. A. J. Colless
In the passing (briefly reported in last issue), of Mrs Elizabeth (Bessie) Colless, wife of Mr A. J. Colless, of Moss Vale, formerly of Penrith, the community at large loses one who played her part nobly and unselfishly among the people with whom she lived, in domestic, social, and public spheres. Three years ago deceased underwent an operation, after which she made wonderful recovery. But on 26th ult. she took suddenly ill and was brought to Penrith Hospital, where she passed away on Monday, 4th inst. Friends in this district had scarcely known that she was in the hospital before they learnt with deep sorrow of her death. Mrs Colless was the daughter of Mr. John Rawson, of Castlereagh Street, Penrith, and the late Margaret Rawson, and was bom in the house in Station Street now occupied by Mrs Broad. Practically all her life till her departure some four years ago she resided in this district, in which she was so widely known and beloved She was married to Mr Arthur Colless at Glebe, and is survived by him and their son Jack. Mrs Colless also leaves two brothers, Mr Robert Rawson (Bondi) and Mr Reg Rawson, who is abroad. The public activities of Mrs Colless in the Nepean district were many and varied, and practically every charitable organisation and movement of communal advantage had her whole-hearted support; in fact, in the highest sense she was a worker. Outstanding were her efforts as president of the Ladies' auxiliary of the Nepean A.H. and I. Society, during the years when Mr Colless so ably and zealously carried out the duties of President. Members of the Society can recall many special efforts by her and those associated with her and there was also much that was done quietly but very effectively. Mrs Colless was a keen member of the Penrith branch of the Country Women's Association and was treasurer for a couple of years. As an evidence of her continued interest in the branch, at the last annual meeting, in December, she brought over a party from Moss Vale. While in Penrith she was also secretary of the local branch of the C. of E. Home Mission, and was an active member of the Red Cross Society. About four years ago Mr and Mrs Colless, to the regret of many of our citizens, left this district, and took up residence at North Richmond, later removing to Warren, and about two years ago going into business at Moss Vale. While a resident of the southern town Mrs Colless took an active part in affairs of the Methodist Church, being a member of the Ladies' Guild and of the Red Cross Society in that town. The funeral on Tuesday afternoon, 5th inst., was very largely attended, all sections of the community being represented among the mourners. At a service in Penrith Methodist Church a very eloquent address was given by Rev. J. Wadkin, of Moss Vale, who said that they were met in the shadow of a great sorrow, the news of the death of a dear sister having come to them as a great shock. She had been stricken down, as it were, in the prime of life, "It is as though the sun had gone down while it was yet day," he said. "To think that this side of eternity those of us who have known her will never again hear her kindly voice and see her sweet smile. When we come to facts such as this we are reminded of great mysteries that we cannot solve or fathom. There is no explanation, but we know that we are not victims of chance and that God still loves and cares for us. What she has been to us in the Church during the short time she has been with us at Moss Vale cannot be put into words. My wife has often spoken of the fine woman that Mrs Colless was, and we also thought well of the rest of the family. They were very fine people. I am sure that you all join with Mr Curtis and myself in heartfelt sympathy with the husband, son, and father." The lengthy cortege proceeded to the Methodist cemetery, Emu Plains. The service was conducted by Rev. P. H. Curtis, of Penrith, who, in a fine address, referred to the shock that had come to the communities of Penrith and Moss Vale and to other people far and wide. He spoke of the cheerfulness that was characteristic of the departed sister. Chief mourners were Mr John Rawson (father), Mr Arthur Colless (husband), Mr Jack Colless (son), Mr Robert Rawson (brother), Mrs J. Morgan (Annandale, aunt), Mrs Preston (aunt), Mrs W. Killen (sister of Mr. A. J. Colless), and Messrs. E. G. and V. Colless (brothers). Among the many beautiful wreaths were wreaths from Red Cross Society, Moss Vale; C.W.A. Members, Penrith; Lodge Mosman; Penrith Methodist Sunday school; Messrs. Mauri Bros, and Thompson, Ltd., Sydney; Nepean A.H, and I. society; Methodist Ladies' Church Aid, Moss Vale; and St. Stephen's Ladies' Church Guild, Moss Vale, There were also many wreaths from relatives and friends.
Source: Nepean Times14 Mar 1940

422. John William Colless

The death has occurred at his residence, Emu Plains of Mr. John Colless, a highly respected resident of the Nepean district. Mr. Colless was a descendant of one of the original pioneers of that district, and was a very successful farmer and orchardist, and his services as a judge of stock at various agricultural shows were in great demand throughout the State. He was 52 years of age, and is survived by a widow and a family of six children.
Source: The Land 4 Dec 1925

The Late Mr. John Colless Mr John Colless, who died at his residence, Emu Plains, on Wednesday, 25th ult. was a citizen by whose death any community would be a great loser. He was the much respected friend of many in the Nepean district. Deceased, who was 52 years of age, had been suffering from heart trouble during the last couple of years, and contracted pneumonia a few weeks ago. He was the son of the late Mr and Mrs George Robert Colless, of Emu Plains, and was born at Mudgee. The family came to Emu Plains when he was about twelve months old, and he lived there for the remainder of his days. Like his father, he engaged in farming pursuits, with the exception that, some 20 years ago, he took on railway construction. He was recognised as possessing one of the best plough teams on the railway works. At Emu Plains he engaged in orcharding and dairying, and his industry was rewarded with a large measure of success. He was keen on good stock, and was the breeder of some of the best Clydesdales in the State, scoring several prizes for such exhibits at the Royal Show. Among the many Clydesdales he bred was the well-known stallion, Emu Clipper, which was sold to the Government as a yearling for 275 guineas. In the dairying section he devoted much of his attention to the breeding of a good strain of shorthorns. He owned one of the best herds in the district. He exhibited freely in the cattle section at the Royal and Penrith shows and won various championships. His farming appliances were among the best in the district. At orcharding Mr. Colless was also successful, his thoroughness being there again applied. For years he was a committeeman of the Nepean A.H. and I. Society, and was a director of the Nepean Dairy Company. Deceased leaves a widow (daughter of the late Mr. W. Spence, of Emu Plains), two daughters (Thelma and Sarah), and four sons (Richard, Kenneth, William, and John). He is also survived by the following brothers and sisters:—Mr. Vivian R. Colless (Leura), Mr. G. E. Colless (Emu Plains), Mr. Arthur J. Colless (Penrith), Mrs. C. Devlin (Agnes Banks), Mrs. Killen (Emu Plains). The funeral took place on Thursday afternoon, 26th ult. A short service was conducted at the house by Rev. Stuart Wright (Methodist). The cortege, which was one of the longest and most representative seen in the district, proceeded to the Methodist portion of Emu Plains cemetery. At the graveside the hymn, "Rock of Ages," a favorite of deceased, was sung. Rev Stuart Wright conducted the burial service, and Mr. Hessell Hall offered a prayer. The Manchester Unity, I.O.O.F., service was also read, deceased having been a member of the Order. Many beautiful wreaths were forwarded.
Source: Nepean Times 5 Dec 1925