90. George Rutherford Howell
Late Mr. Geo. Howell. Impresssive Funeral.
The death of George Howell, of Wentworthvllle, which occurred with startling suddenness last week, removed the last of the grandchildren of a Parramatta pioneer, who loomed large in the early history of the town. The latter established the flour mill, which stood near the site of the present Gasworks Bridge, and it was there that he ground the flour to supply many Government contracts, which he had on hand. He was accorded the first Masonic funeral ever held in the town, and the service held in the Macquarie-street, Methodist Church (now the Macquarie Hall), was the first ever held in that building. George Howell's father, Thomas Howell, was proprietor of a livery stable, and later carried on business as a tobacconist opposite the present post office It was in Smith-street that George Howell first saw the light of day, and subsequently, with his brothers, was educated at the local public school and St. John's Grammar School. As a young man, he was a good all-round athlete, and had the distinction of playing for Parramatta district on the .football field against the Maori team. He was also a good cricketer and a smart runner and sculler. He was for some time engaged in the building trade, but some twenty years back, carved a name for himself in the poultry world, particularly as a breeder of silver wyandottes. However, the first honour gained for him by any of his feathered representatives was the winning of the first duck-laying competition in Australia, the prize for which was £25, with his pen of Indian Runners. Subsequently, he captured the great International poultry-laying competition, in which English and American poultry-men were represented, with his silver
wyandottes, the prize and trophy for which were worth £100. In the show pavillions, he secured numerous cards, and his name was a household word among poultry
farmers in every State. After relinquishing the poultry business, Mr. Howell was for some considerable time overseer in the employ of Prospect and Sherwood Council, but later, drifted back to building and contracting operations. For the past five years, however, he had carried on the well-known real estate business of G. Howell and Co., at Wentworthvllle. He had resided at Wentworthville for 31 years, on a property known as "Brighton Hill," which has been in the possession of his wife's family for 90 years. It was originally known as Murphy's grant. Mrs. Howell's father, "Johnny" Stapleton, was very prominent in the earlier days of this district. Deceased had thirteen children, but five of them predeceased him. He leaves a widow, five sons, and three daughters. The funeral, which took place on Saturday afternoon, was one of the largest seen in the district.. The cortege was fully a mile in length, and among the hundreds present to pay a final tribute of respect were representatives, of all spheres of life. The services were most impressive. As the hearse, carrying many wreaths, moved away-from his old home, each side of the carriageway was lined with freemasons, of which body deceased was a prominent member. When the intesection of Station-street and Western road was reached, a large body of members of Manchester Unity Order of Oddfellows, joined in and. marched to the Western-road Cemetery, where scores of people had already assembled. The Church of England burial service was conducted by Mr. W. E. Parrott (catechist), and the Masonic service by Wor.Bero. J. V. Collins. The chief mourners were: Mrs. G. Howell, senr,, her daughters, Mrs. S. Johnson (Canberra), Mrs. Burrows (Pendle Hill), Miss Eva Howell, and messrs. George, John, Leslie, and William Howell (sons), Thos., Willlam and Charles Howell (nephews), and Mrs. W. J. Howell (niece). The Masonic lodges represented were: Grand Lodge, Sir Walter Scott (Granville), Merrylands, Gulldford, Wentworthville, Resurgo (Parramatta). St. George (Parramatta), and Parramatta (Lark Lodge. Deceased was a founder of Lodge Wenworthvillle. Among those present were noticed: The Mayor of Prospect and Sherwood (Alderman A. J. Webb), Aldermen J. A. Williams, J. H. Shaw, W. R. R. Shannon, F. G. Tucker-Jones, W. Deveson, and J. Allen, Mr. A. D. Hume (town clerk), ex Alderman G. R. Ringrose, and officers, and staff; Messrs. J. Watsford, Phil Chapman, J. Pickering, T. Quigley, WV. H. Johnson, J. T. Neilson, W. I. Young. W.V. Smith, G. Moss, Arch. Tetley, T. Cooper, D. Mills, J. Drummond, C. Vickers, V. Bygrave, F. Paul, J. Bate, Walker,.Benson (Merrylands), . T. Shephard, C. H,. Sattler, P.. Robillard, H. Lane, WV. Harper, W. L. AIuston, Jas. Smith, W,. J. Collins, Isaac Jones, A. Speers, Waddling, HI-I.: C.. G. Moss, Gee. Jowers, A. Lucas, A. WV. Davison, E. O. Harris, J. Giddy, C.Weeckes, Tom Davies, A. Davies, F. Harrson, A. Cole, A. Parry, B. Hercott, T. Griffin, J. Selso, D. Reeves, Groves, sent., C. Brown, WV. Brown, Beach, A. Bolton, J.Grundy, WV. Grundy, B. Hainsworth, C. W. Davis, WV. Best (Seven Hills). The funeral was in the hands of Mitcalfo and Morris, Ltd. At Tuesday night's meeting of Prospect and Sherwood Council, before business commenced, Alderman Jones referred in feeling terms to tile late Mr. George Howell, and moved that a letter of sympathy be written to the relatives of deceased. Alderman Allen seconded, pointing out that for many years Mr. Howell did good work as overseer for the council. Kindly references were made by Aldermen Slcwr, Deveson, Williams, and the Mayor. The motion was carried by the aldermen standing.
Source: The Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate 13 Mar 1925
DEATH. HOWELL. (nee Stapleton).-July 14. 1944 at- the residence of her daughter (Mrs. Johnson, 30 Dartbrook-road, Auburn) Helena, relict of George Howell, o Brighton Hill, 198 Old Prospect oad Wentworthville, beloved mother of George Jack, Star, Les, Bill, Verie, Pat and Eva.
Source: The Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate 19 Jul 1944
97. Robert William Farlow
OBITUARY - ROBERT WILLIAM FARLOW
As briefly mentioned in our last issue, there passed away in the early hours of Wednesday morning of last week, after a brief illness, Mr. Robert William Farlow. health and building inspector at Richmond, and one of the most widely known and liked citizens of that town. The sad event took place at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Brazzale. The news came as a sad shock his host of friends throughout the Hawkesbury, for he had been carrying out his official duties, apparently in his usual health, on the previous Friday, and the majority were even unaware of the fact that he was seriously ill. The condolences which poured in on the family from, all sides were evidence of the genuine respect in which the deceased had been held as an official, a citizen and a man. The late Mr. Farlow, who was 71years of age at the time of his death was born at Agnes Banks, and in his earlier years conducted a signwriting business at Richmond. Later he was in the service of the Richmond Council for a term as sanitary inspector and subsequently was attached to the staff of the Board of Health, in which position he remained for some 16 years. After leaving this post he acted for some years as an inspector for the Dairy Farmers' Milk Company. Living in well-earned retirement in Richmond, deceased became aware of the difficulty being met by the Richmond Council in securing a part-time health and building inspector, owing to shortage of gentlemen of such training as a result of wartime conditions. It was characteristic of him that he did not hesitate, when appraised of the position, to offer his services, and accepted appointment until such time as council could make other arrangements. In the twelve months since the appointment was made, the council and citizens had been well and faithfully served. There was none more conscientious in carrying out his duties (had he been less so his he might have been better in later months), yet he always remained truth a friend of the people. None who met him in an official capacity but had cause to respect him for his unfailing courtesy and helpfulness. For many years deceased was secretary of Lodge Loyal Rose of the M.U.I.O.O.F. at Richmond, and had a term had the honor of becoming Cumberland District Grand Master. During his occupancy of that office incidentally, he had the pleasure opening a new Lodge in the district, namely, at Wilberforce. Widely read, a good speaker, an able writer, the late Mr. Farlow was a man of cultured tastes.- The record of earlier Richmond which he wrote was generally regarded as an informative and authentic work. Deft with his hands, he numbered wood turning as one of his hobbies, and in fact had an active, eager mind which pursued many interests in his lifetime. At the same time he was never guilty of an affectation, and right to the last he maintained to everyone that same gentle affable 'Bob' who will be so sadly missed from his accustomed places! Predeceased by his wife, deceased is survived by three daughters, Emily (Mrs. Dunk), Lily (Mrs. Brazzale) and Muriel (Mrs. H. Stead), of Richmond, to whom general sympathy is extended in their loss of a devoted father. The largely attended and representative funeral took place on Thursday afternoon, when the interment was conducted in the Church of England cemetery, Richmond, the Rev. Ashcroft officiating. The mortuary arrangements were conducted by Mr Chandler, of' Windsor.
Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 1 July 1942
104. William H Colless
Come by Chance
History of Come By Chance This pleasantly named village on the Baradine Creek (known locally as the Bungle Gully Creek) was pioneered by early settlers around the 1850's.The name Come by Chance originated, when the sons of William Colless selected land in his name - previously informed, all lands in the area had been selected - hence the name of his property "Come by Chance Station". Mr Colless later owned the Post Office, Hotel, Police Station, Blacksmith Shop, Cemetery and other building blocks. Reputedly, the only privately owned village in the Sothern Hemisphere. Cattle were grazed in early days, then predominantly wool and since the late 1860's cereal crops have been grown. In the early days, people didn’t need as much land to make a living. In those days, 2560 acres of land was considered as a living area. Today at least 10,000 acres of land is needed to earn a living. The development of Artesian bore water, early this century was a terrific boost to primary production. It meant that properties could graze both Cattle and Sheep. The annual CBC Picnic Races have been held since 1947, with the first meeting concerning the idea held in 1946. The original race course was built behind the village, over towards the artesian bore. It was part of the stock route for years, until Dan. W. Atkinson fenced the land for W.D. Colless; it then became the Bore Paddock. The races are still held today and bring thousands of people out to the tiny village, the racecourse is now located at Gleneda owned by the Allerton Family.
Source: Walgett Shire Council