Australian English Genealogy

 Descendants of Henry Kable

Notes - Page 12

177. Henry Eric Charlton Kable

Divorce Case.
This was a case in which Henry Eric Charlton Kable, station manager, of Kinglebill, petitioned for a dissolution of his marriage with Mary Meta Kahle, formerly Gowdy. It was alleged that respondent frequently committed adultery with the
co-respondent, William Le Good, of Homebusb, baker, during September and October, 1911, and since then had lived with Le Good. The parties were married according to the rites of the Church of England, at Mackay, on 6th June, 1894. There was issue of the marriage, eight children, three of whom were dead. Petitioner, therefore, prayed that the marriage be dissolved, and that he should have the custody of the children. - Mr. Fewings (instructed by W. C. Harding) appeared for the petitioner. - There was no appearance of the respond ent: and co-respondent. John G. Warren, managing cleric to Mr. Harding, proved service o! the writ on the respondent, and produced a written statement, signed by the respondent and co-respondent, in which they admitted intimacy. The petitioner in his evidence stated that he was married to Mary Meta Gowdy on the 6th June, 189r at Mackay. When witness married respondent, she was a milliner, residing at Mackay. They resided in various places, and eight children were born. Subsequently his wife became dissatisfied, and always was wrangling. She wanted him to rent a cottage in Brisbane, and she desired witness to go out droving. She said she would take care of the children. "But," said witness, "I declined to go droving." Continuing, he said he wanted to have a roof over his head, as he was getting into years. He allowed his wife £13 per year pocket money, and found her in clothing. When she left in February1909, she said sbe was leaving to go up to her mother. He objected to her going for the sake of the children. He practically reared the children himself. They were bottle-fed children, and he often had to get up at night and feed them, "I used to wake her up at night," remarked witness, "and would say, 'Baby wants a feed.' She would say, 'Get up yourself and give it to them.'" He often heard her say, 'The young wretches, I wish they were all dead. " Petitioner said; he had received the following letter, dated 31st December, 1912, in which Mrs. Kable wrote: "I hardly know how to find words to say what 1 want. My baby was bom on 3rd July at Lady Bowen Hospital, Brisbane, and was registered there as William Kable. It was my intention to stay in Brisbane and work for myself and child, but his father persuaded me to return to him, and I have lived with him ever since my return as his wife, and for baby's sake I would like if possible, to marry his father. The father's name is George William Le Good, baker, Homehush. He has a very good business, and could give baby every advantage, but, you see, as things .are baby cannot claim anything of his father's, and must go by the name William Kable. -Yours faithfully, Meta Kable."
His honour granted a decree nisi-for dissolution of marriage, returnable after the expiration of three months. Petitioner was allowed the custody of the children,; and costs were given against the co-respondent.
Source: The Week (Brisbane) 16 May 1913.

179. Walter Edgar Kable

Timber inspector for Forestry Dept.

Annie Maud Treloar

Mrs. A. M. Kable
At Mirani an old and respected resident, Mrs. A. M. Kable, died on August 28 at the age of 84 years. For many years she kept a general store there, assisted by her son and daughter. Two other daughters made up the family. There are eight grandchildren, and five great grandchildren. Her husband predeceased her 28 years ago. She was keenly Interested In the township and its progress, and had seen it grow from a very small beginning. Always a keen worker for the Church of England, she never failed to attend service while her health permitted. The C.W.A. also was helped by her willing hands. Her parents, Mr, and Mrs. S. Treloar, very old settlers in this district, were natives of Redruth, Cornwall. They came to Australia in 1872 In the sailing vessel "John Rennie," bringing with them their four children, of whom the only surviving member is Mrs. E. J. Pearson, of Eton.
Source: Daily Mercury 23 Sep 1950

182. Frederick Joseph C Kable

Mr. Fred J. C. Kable, who died recently, aged 71 years, had been a resident of Tamworth for 27 years. He was born in Sydney in 1861, being the great-grandson of Henry Kable, who came out in the First Fleet, and who later figured in what is said to have been Australia's earliest commercial and shipping firm Kable and Underwood, of Sydney. He was taken with his parents by boat to Maryborough, Queensland, when six months old, and thence by bullock dray to Gyrandah Station on the Dawson River. When 19 years of age he was appointed manager of Carbean Station, near Springsure. Resigning after two years he entered upon sugar-growing, dairying, and butchering at Eton, in the Mackay district. Mr. Kable later became part-owner of Jolimont Station with his brothers, but in 1897, owing to the advent of the cattle tick, abandoned the property. During this period he assisted in forming a number of the large cattle stations of North Queensland, hundreds of square miles in area. He was one of the promoters and later a director of the first sugar mill in North Queensland. Mr. Kable then entered into the business of hotelkeeping in Queensland and New South Wales. In 1904 he was Mayor of Maclean, on the Clarence River. Four years later he entered the service of the Tamworth council's electricity department, and advanced to the position of power station superintendent, retiring in August, 1931. Mr. Kable is survived by Mrs. Kable, two daughters and two sons. There are ten grandchildren.
Source: The SMH 16 Nov 1932

Frederick Keen

Frederick Keen, of Eton, who died last Sunday, was 98. He had a varied career, and saw most of the world before he settled down to farming in the Eton district 36 years ago. Mr. Keen was born in Kent (Eng.) . At an early age he went to sea with his father, who was a sea captain in sailing ships. He was master of such well known ships, as Cutty Sark, Flying Cloud, Jane Blair, and Sovereign of the Sea, which traded between England and Australia, and with other ports of the world . Attracted by the prospects in Australia he forsook sea-faring and came north in a clerical capacity with Mr. Lyle, the engineer, who constructed the North Eton Central Mill. When the installation was completed Mr. Keen remained as first secretary. In February 1888 he married Agnes Susan Kable, now 89, who survives him. When he married he left the mill and entered into partnership with Messrs. Strong and Kable Bros, in a cattle property, Jollimont. Later he returned to cane farming in the Eton district on Tool Hill farm, named after the birthplace in Hampshire (Eng.) of Mr. W. Hampton, from whom he purchased the property in 1924. It is still the family home. Here he reared a family of four sons, William, Rex, Noel and Roy. All are living except Noel who died from the after effects of gas in World War I. There are seven grandchildren and eight great grandchildren. Mr. Keen before coming to Australia took part in Shakespearen plays in England. Amateur shows he organised in Eton were always very popular. He was an accomplished elocutionist. Because of his gift of oratory and his long association with the district he was chosen for the unveiling of the Soldiers' Memorial at Eton and planting of a memorial tree. The funeral on Monday was attended by many old friends from all parts of the district.
Source: Daily Mercury (Mackay) 2 Sep 1954