Australian English Genealogy

Descendants of James Timmins

Notes - Page 5

302. Noel Templeton Tailby

The marriage was celebrated at St. John's Church of England, Molong, on Thursday morning, of Miss Rose Hughes, second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. R. Hughes, of Spring Vale, Baldry and Mr. N. T. Tailby, of Parkes, son of the late Mr. Tailby and Mrs. Tailby of Syd ney. The bride was given away by her father, and attended by her sister, Miss Ivy Hughes. Mr. J. G. Hughes (the bride's brother) was best man. Mr. and Mrs. Tailby are spending their honeymoon in Sydney, and will later take up residence at Parkes.
Source: Sunday Times 28Sep 1924

Mary Ann Smith

THE death took place at her residence at North Richmond on Saturday last, 19th instant, of Mrs. Mary Ann Timmins, relict of the late Thomas Timmins, at the ripe age of 84 years. A native of the district; the deceased had lived here all her life, and was well-known and beloved throughout the Kurrajong by a wide circle of relatives and friends. She leaves one daughter, Amy (Mrs. G. Lawson, of North Richmond) and three grandchildren. The funeral took place on Sunday, the remains being laid to rest in the Church of England cemetery at North Richmond.
Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 25 Jan 1935

63. Elizabeth Ann Timmins

Mrs Elizabeth Ann Stinson, died at her residence, Jamisontown, this morning at the age of 78 years. Deceased, who was well known and very highly esteemed in the district, was born at Yarramundi, and lived in the Nepean-Hawkesbury district all her life. Her husband died about 15 years ago. She leaves two sons- John (Jamisontown), of the 20th Batt. A.I.F., and Thomas (Winton, Queensland). Another son, Will iam Henry, of the 35th Batt., was killed at Passchendaele. Mr William Timmins, of Yarramundi, Mr Harry Timmins, of Blacktown, and Mrs E. Pearce are brothers and sister of deceased. Three brothers and a sister predecesed her.  The funeral will take place to-mor row afternoon, when the interment will be in the C. of E. portion of Penrith general cemetery.
Source: Nepean Times 14 Apr 1938

67. James Timmins

John Davis, John and James Timmins were charged that they did in company unlawfully assault Frederick John Walden, on the evening of the 17th July, at Enfield. Pleaded not guilty.
Complainant deposed that on the evening in question he was outside Stevenson's Hotel ; James Timmins ordered him off the verandah, and John Timmins rubbed at him and knocked him down, and struck him while he was on the ground ; Davis struck hffh during the scuffle ; witness got up and walked away, when the three defendants followed him, threatening to kick his ribs in, Thomas Whitehall gave evidence that he pre vented James Timmins from striking Walden on the previous night ; heard James Timmins say he would " deal it out" to Walden ; witness corrob orated the evidence of complainant. Herbert Millington also gave corroborative
Edward Hogan deposed that on the night in question he witnessed a quarrel between James Timmins and Whitehall ; they had their coats off fighting ; Walden then pulled his coat oft, which fact James Timmins pointed out to his brother, John ; whereupon the latter followed Walden up and said, " I'm your man, Walden ;" Walden then rushed at John Timmins and struck him a cowardly blow in the eye ; they started fighting ; there were two or three falls and Walden ran away ; after this complainant met John Davis, who was standing on the verandah with his coat oft, and they had four or five falls on the road.
John Timmins gave corroborative evidence.
The Bench declined to go further into the case, as the evidence was of such a conflicting character, and the quarrel seemed to be an electioneering squabble. Case dismissed.
Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 11 Aug 1894

347. James Timmins

A quiet wedding took place on June 28 at St. Alban's, Five Dock, the contracting parties being Doris, eldest daughter of Mr. Charles Hayden (Sydney) and James (second son of Mr. James Timmins (Richmond). The ceremony was performed by the Rev. John Boardman, The bride was attended by her sister, Miss Ida Hayden, and Mr. Roy Payne filled the duties of best man.  A reception was afterwards held at the home of Constable Roy Payne, Ha berfield. The happy couple later motored to the South Coast where the honeymoon was spent.  Mr. and Mrs. Timmins will reside in Richmond where many good wishes are tendered them.
Source: Hawkesbury Herald 17 Jul 1924

56. Charles Augustus Jethro Tailby

Frightful Railway Catastrophe.
Great Loss of Life.
Sydney, Wednesday.

A TERRIBLE railway accident occurred shortly before two o'clock this morning between Tarana and Rydal. The rail gave way, when a first-class sleeping car, the mail van and brake van smashed into each other, and were carried along a considerable distance before the accident was noticed; the train falling against rocks, tearing away
the sides of the carriages, and scattering human bodies and luggage in all directions.
The sight was terrible.
Arrangements were quickly made for medical assistance from Bathurst to attend the injured. Altogether four men and five women were killed.
The following amongst those killed have, so far, been identified: — Mrs. MacDonald, of Wellington; Mrs. Dishington, New Zealand; engine-driver Veatson.
Wounded— William Simmonds, Sydney ; Henry Gilmore, Condobolin ; John Richards, Millthorpe) ; Mark Simmons and three children.
Mr. Eddy, with Richardson (out-door superintendant), one locomotive and other superintendent's, proceeded by special train, to the scene of the accident. Carl Korstiu and driver Moses are also reported amongst those killed.

Sydney, Thursday.

The news of the railway accident caused a great sensation in the city yesterday. The Redfern station, Commissioner's Offices and newspaper offices were rushed to obtain the names of the killed and wounded. It has been ascertained beyond doubt that the accident occurred through the breaking of the old English double headed iron, rail put down since the line was opened. The dead must have suffered terrible injuries, some being literally ground to pieces against the wall of rock. The following is the official list of those killed by the railway accident : Messrs. W. Ware, Doig, J. Dishing ton, Carl Keratin, Charles Tailby, Mrs. Macdonald, Minnie Cowell and Mrs. Cowell. The injured are — Mrs. McDonald, John Richards, H. Gilmore; W. H. Simmons, John O'Shea,
W. Thomas, W. Wyburd, E. Wilbow and three of Mrs. Cowell's children.
Mr. Eddy says that no human forethought could prevent the disaster. The breakage was not caused by any inherent defect, and the accident must be considered one of those against which no safe guard can be taken.  Numerous miraculous escapes are reported.
The whole line for about 100 yards is strewn with broken carriages, luggage,  jewellery and wearing apparel. The dead bodies were conveyed in 14 carts from the Bathurst Station to the hospital, wrapped in blankets. One wounded body was removed in
three parcels being portions of the head, trunk and legs. Another female had portions of the head and legs cut off. Other bodies were badly twisted and tortured in a ghastly manner. The injured are progressing favourably. The damage to the rolling stock will not exceed £2000.
Source: The Richmond River Herald and Northern Districts Advertiser 29 Apr 1892


68. William Timmins

School Cases.
William Timmins was proceeded against for not sending his child, Arthur, to school for the required number of days for the half-year ending June 30. Fieaded guilty. Fined 1/-, 7/- costs of court. Fine paid
Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 16 Nov 1907

352. William Henry Timmins


Prompt Action Saved Man Gassed In Pit
Prompt action by mining officials and a rescue party saved the life of a bricklayer in Aberdare collery on Saturday afternoon when he was overcome by noxious fumes. William Timmins, 55, of Daniel street, Cessnock, was building a new seal in front of a crushed seal in 21 gannon. He complained of feeling ill, then collapsed. A deputy, Msr. W. Riley, and a shift man, Mr. Ray Jackson, were nearby to give aid. The alarm was raised. The Undermanager (Mr. G. Randall) raced down the pit with the oxygen set, while other officials organised a rescue party by securing any men within hail of the mine. The point where Timmins had collapsed was more than two miles from the surface. Timmins was placed on a stretcher.  He was carried to the surface by relays of bearers, consisting of E. Sellars, E. Minto, W. Rees, T. Conn, W. Riley, R. Jackson. Half way out of the mine the party was met by a team from the Mines Rescue Station, which admin istered oxygen. Timmins was admitted to Cessnock Hospital. It was reported that he was making satisfactory progress.
Source: Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate 3May 1948