Australian English Genealogy

Descendants of John Frederick Cobcroft

Notes - Page 3

13. Joseph Cobcroft

Friends of Mr John Cobcroft will be sorry to hear that his father, Mr Joseph Cobcroft, died in Orange on Saturday last after a rather long illness. Mr Cobcroft was born at Wilberforce in the year 1813 and was therefore in his 77th year. He recently received a medal for being the oldest true born native living in this colony. Mr Cobcroft was well known to the people of the Hawkesbury.
Source: The Windsor and Richmond Gazette 3 May 1890

Archimedes Byrne Liscombe

The Metropolis
Archimedes Byrne Liscombe was charged with having, on the 7th September, 1856, embezzled the sum of £40, belonging to the Government, which he had received as Clerk of Petty Sessions, at Molong. He pleaded guilty, stating in extenuation, that he had appropriated the money to his own use with the intention of paying it on receiving his salary, which was at the time over due, but he had been unable to carry out his intention. Evidence was given to show prisoner had hitherto held in good character, and he was sentenced to three years' hard labor on the public works of the colony.
Source: Illawarra Mercury 17 Jun 1858

In 1864, in Rockhampton, Qld,  Archimedes was appointed acting sub-inspector of sheep and cattle on the frontier.

Dec 8— At Orange last week a man named Archimedes Brynes Liscombe was cut to pieces by a passing train. Deceased formerly held a good position and some years and was O. P. S. and District Coroner at Molong.
Source: Molong Express and Western Districts Advertiser 18 Jun 1904

Text: ORANGE, Monday. Shortly after midnight on Saturday the body of a man was found on the railway line between the station and the engine tank. Both his legs were completely severed from the body. An inquest was held to-day, when the deceased was identified as a person named Liscombe. The evidence showed that he must have obtained access to the line by the gate at the Bathurst-road crossing, which at night is left unattended and unlocked. A verdict was returned that deceased was accidentally run over by a train ; and a rider was added to the effect that at night a gateman was necessary at this crossing.
Source: Sydney Mail 8 Dec 1883.


Elizabeth Mary Ann Rose

(Before J. N. Brooks and E. C. Close, Esqs.)
Several cases were disposed of by those gentlemen on Thursday, the 11th ultimo.
RESCUE OF HORSES - Elizabeth Cobcroft, Australia Cobcroft, Ada Cobcroft and Joseph Cobcroft appeared on summons to answer the above charge. Mr. H. Levien, solicitor, of West Maitland, appeared for the defendants. James Wellings was sworn, and gave evidence that he was driving five head of horses, the property of Mr. W. J. Cobcroft, to impound them, when the defendants came in the road with sticks and rescued the horses from him - Jane Smith, on oath, gave evidence that she saw the complainant driving horses down the road, and that she saw the defendants go into the road with sticks and stop them, and heard complainant tell the defendants to let the horses go. He was taking them to impound them, and saw one of the defendants open up the slip-panel, and rush the horses through the paddock. Miss Maud Cobcroft, on oath, stated there had been no rescue, but that the horses had ran down the road into the paddock. The bench found a verdict against the defendants, and fined them Is. each, with court costs.
The same defendants were also charged with an assault and battery on James Wellings. Complainant, being sworn, stated he had followed the horses that were rescued from him into a small paddock, when defendants put up the slip-panel, and closed him in a corner of the paddock, and then assaulted and beat him. Jane Smith gave evidence corroborating the above statement. The bench found Mrs. Cobcroft guilty - and fined her 2s 6d., with court costs. James Wellings was then charged with an assault and battery on Mrs W. J Cobcroft, by hitting her with a whip, inflicting several severe wounds on her face and arms. The defendant pleaded justification. Mr. H. Levien very ably addressed the bench as to the nature of the assault, and the serious conséquence that might have followed. The bench found the defendant guilty, and fined him in the sum of l0ss, with court costs.
Source: The Maitland Mercury and Hunter River General Advertiser 20 Nov 1873

111. William John Cobcroft

News comes from Cessnock that Mr. Wil liam Cobcroft, aged 79 years, died in the Cessnock Hospital on Thursday of last week. His remains were taken to Wollombi and buried in the Church of England Cemetery there.  He was another link with early Australian history. In his remarks the officiating clergyman (Rev. A. Elkins) mentioned that deceased, at his ripe old age was the third generation of an Australian-born family. Both his father and his grandfather were Australian natives, born on the Hawkesbury River. He did not know if he had been accurately informed, but he certainly had heard that Mr. Cobcroft's, grandmother was the first Australian born white child. Mr. Cobcroft himself was educated at the old Church of England Grammar School, West Maitland. He is survived by one brother, Mr. Oliver Cobcroft, of Putty and one sister, Mrs. Gainey, of Gravesend. He was a bachelor and spent many years in the gold mines and struck various rich patches around Mudgee. It is said that he was the first cricket to introduce round-arm bowling into the Wollombi district.
Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 18 Apr1924

John Ridge

Fatal Accident. It is with extreme regret I have to notice the death of Mr. John Ridge, a native of the district and an old and respected resident. He died on Thursday last from the effects of a fall from his horse in George-street on the previous morning. His untimely end has cast a shade of sadness over this neighbourhood which will not soon be removed. Mr. Ridge was in the best of health and strength at the time of his accident; he was picked up insensible and never after recovered consciousness. He leaves a large family and many friends to mourn his lamentable death. An inquest was hold on the body on Friday morning before the coronor and a jury.
Source: The SMH 21 Oct 1867

John Bolton Laverack

On Wednesday week last, an old Windsor resident, in the person of John Boulton Laverack, passed away in Sydney, at the age of 75 years. Mr. Laverack was a native of Hull, England, and came out to this country many years ago. He resided a number of years in Windsor, and at one time occupied the position of Superintendent at the Benevolent Asylum. He left Windsor about 24 years ago for Sydney, where he resided up to the time of his death. He was for several years auctioneer at Alexander Moore and Co's., Furniture Bazaar. Deceased's remain were conveyed by train on Friday morning, to Windsor, and were met at the Station by Mr. R. W. Dunstan, undertaker, a relation of the deceased, and conveyed to the Church of England Cemetery. Owing to the inclemency of the weather there was not a large funeral procession. The Burial Service, owing to the rain, was conducted by the Rev. G. D'Arcy Irvine in the Church. Several members of the deceased's family, sons, and sons-in-law, were present. Many nice wreaths were laid on the coffin. Deceased used frequently visit his step-son, Mr. Dunstan, at Windsor, and was here about a month ago. Death was due to hearth-disease.
Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 7 Jan 1892

19. Matilda Cobcroft

The prisoner Potts was assigned to Mr.Cobcroft, a respectable settler at Wilberforce, and on the 26 th of September last, the prosecutrix, a girl about 16 years of age, was returning from church to her grandmother's where she resided, when she was met in a private part of the road by the prisoner, who seized her, and after knocking her down and beating her violently, attempted to ravish her, but luckily he did not succeed; for the screams of the young woman brought some persons to her assistance, when the prisoner made off.  After a short deliberation, the Jury returned a verdict of guilty, and the prisoner was sentenced to he confined in Sydney Gaol and kept to hard labour for two years.
Source: The Sydney Gazette and NSW Adverister 11 Jan 1842

The jury having been sworn, Francis Potts was placed at the bar, charged with having on the 26th day of September last assaulted one Matilda Cobcroft, of Wilberforce, with Intent to commit a rape on her person. Guilty. Two years
im prisonment, with hard labour.
Source: The Australian 11 Jan 1842

Henry Buttsworth


We have this week to report the death of a very old and respected resident of Currency Creek, in the person of Mr. Henry Buttsworth, which event took place on Friday last. Deceased had been ill for a long time, and at the time of his death was 78 years of age. He was a native of the district, and had resided here nearly all his life. The funeral took place on Sunday morning last, and was very largely attended. The remains were interred in the Wilberforce Church of England cemetery. The Rev. W. T. Newton conducted the funeral service, and Mr. E. W. Dunstan carried out the funeral arrangements.
Source: Hawkesbury Advocate 12 Jan 1900

William Dunstan

AN old and respected indentity was removed by death on Sunday last, in the person of Mr William Dunstan, farmer, of Wilberforce Road. The deceased, who was a native of the district, was a representative of that type of Native which is fast dying out, and whereever he was known he was liked for his many good qualities. There has been no more familiar figure for many years than "Old Billy Dunstan," as he was familiarly called, and his absence will be felt for a considerable time by those many friends of his who were accustomed to see him daily wending his way along George-street, Windsor. Mr Dunstan was taken suddenly ill on Saturday night or Sunday morning, and Dr Gibson was called in, but pronounced the case a hopeless one from the first. The deceased succumbed to an apoplectic stroke about 6 o'clock on Sunday evening. The interment took place on Tuesday morning, amongst those who followed the remains to the grave being his sons, Messrs W. Albert, F. and A. Dunstan, and a host of other relatives residing in all parts of the district. Mr Dunstan was a widower, and his family numbered nine, several children being dead. The funeral was very largely attended, and was conducted by Mr R W Dunstan. The burial ceremony took place at St Matthew's Church of England Cemetery, where Rev S G Fielding officiated. The deceased was possessed of considerable property, which will, under the terms of his will, be divided equally between six members of his family.
Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 4 Jul 1896

159. George Cobcroft

Mayor of Richmond at the time of his death

Amanda Emma Barnett

Death of Mrs. G. Coboroft.
We have to record the death of Mrs. George Cobcroft (Amanda Emma), which took place last Monday evening, Sept. 12, at about half-past 8 o'clock, from Bright's Disease. The deceased had only been seriously ill two days, although she has suffered from the complaint several years. At 2 o'clock on Sunday morning last she was seized with illness, when Drs. Helsham and Callaghan were sent for, and a consultation was held. Deceased lingered on until Monday evening, when she died. Mrs. Cobcroft was much liked and respected in the district, and was a lady of a very kind disposition, and an unassuming genial manner. There are many who can testify to her numerous acts of kindness, and she will be much missed in Richmond. The deceased lady was only 36 years of age, and was the daughter of Mr. B Barnett, of Windsor. The funeral was largely attended, and took place last Wednesday afternoon. At the express wish of the deceased that she should not be carried to her last resting place in a hearse, the coffin was borne to the Church of England for interment by four brothers of Mr. Cobcrolt's. A service took place in the Church of England, being conducted by the In cumbent (Rev A Kikvorth, M.A.L.L.B.) assisted by Rev J Kinghorn, who read the lesson, and the coffin was then removed to the burial-ground, when the beautiful service for the dead was read by the Incumbent. A large number of wreaths were on the coffin, being sent from all parts-one all the way from Bathurst-the coffin was literally covered with flowers. All will sympathise with Mr. George Cobcroft in his sad bereavement.
Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 17 Sep 1982

165. Alice Cobcroft


Alice Baker, formerly Cobcroft, petitioned for a dissolution of her marriage with James Baker, on the ground of desertion. The parties were married in April, 1895, at St. Phillip's Church, Sydney, according the Anglican rites. The petitioner demised that her husband was a solicitor, and, in November, 1899, he said that things were going against him, and he would proceed to South Africa. She replied that if he went away she would go with him, but to this he did not agree. She did not wish him to go away. After he left her they corresponded, the last letter which she received from him being in June 1901. He had never contributed to her support since be proceeded to South Africa, and she was at present managing a boarding-house for her sister. A decree nisi was granted, to be moved absolute in six months.
Source: Evening News 23 Nov 1903

23. David Cobcroft

On Tuesday, 19th instant, at the residence of the bride's mother, Richmond, by the Rev. James Cameron, Mr. David Cobcroft, of Windsor, to Mary, eldest daughter of the late William Murray Benson, Esq.
Source: The SMH 23 Jun 1860

167. William Richard Cobcroft

Died aged 3 months 25 days

168. Clarence Cobcroft

Shocking Fatality.
Windsor, Friday.—A sad accident occurred here during the encampment . A young man, named Clarence Cobcroft, son of Mr D Cobcroft, of Richmond, was missed on Monday evening, and on search being made, his hat was found on the Mulgrave viaduct. The police dragged the creek beneath the viaduct, and yesterday the body was found and brought down to Windsor. The deceased had a wound on the left temple, and it is surmised that this was received by his body having strnck something when falling. An inquest was held yesterday, and a verdict of found drowned was returned. The deceased was in the Lands Office, and was about 22 years of age. The railway bridge from which the deceased fell is very high and very narrow, and some hundreds of yards long. There is no pro tection whatever for foot passengers, and yet persons are allowed to cross when ever they choose. A somewhat similar accident occurred here during the last encampment when young Mr. Parsons met his death.
Source: Singleton Argus 23 Apr 1884

27. Henry Cobcroft


Thomas Pidgeon


The funeral of the late Mr. Thomas Pidgeon took place in the Independent Cemetery, at Rookwood, yesterday afternoon, and was attended by a large number of friends. Mr. Pidgeon was a son of the late Rev. Nathaniel Pidgeon, who was one of the founders of the Sydney City Mission. He was an employee of the old A.S.N. Co., when it was merged into the A.U.S.N. Co., and later joined Burns, Philp, and Co., by whom he was employed for over 25 years. He played in the first Interstate Shipping Companies' cricket match, and was a keen and enthusiastic tennis player. Those present at the graveside included: Messrs. K. A. Birkmyre and A. R. Dadswell (sons-in-law), Lyndon Dadswell (grandson), Mr. W. Pidgeon (brother), Messrs. Will, Harry, and Alfred Pidgeon (nephews), and Messrs. Rudder, Harvey, and Pidcock, representing Burns, Philp, and Co., and many others. The Rev. T. Gordon Robertson officiated at the graveside, and he was assisted by the Revs. Newby Fraser and F. Binns.
Source: The SMH 23 Jun 1925