Australian English Genealogy

Descendants of John Frederick Cobcroft

Notes - Page 13

197. Arthur John Cobcroft

Lived at 'Hamilton" Latimer Rd Rose Bay at the time of daughter Marjorie's marriage.


The death occurred at his home, Edgecliffe, .Woolahra, Sydney, last week of Mr. A. J. Cobcroft, a former manager, of the Warwick branch of the Commercial Bank of Sydney. The late Mr. Cobcroft, while in Warwick, took a prominent interest in public affairs. The present Langham Hotel was built on behalf of Mr. and Mrs. Cobcroft, as also was what is now Mytton House, at St. Catharine's, School, this being the residence of the Cobcroft family during their residence in Warwick. This building was subsequently purchased by Mr. and Mrs J. H. S. Barnes and donated to the Church of England school authorities Mr. Cobcroft was associated with the late Mr. J. Burke in ownership of Bodumba, up to the time of the death of Mr. Burke in 1935, after which Mrs Burke carried on the property. Mrs. Cobcroft was formerly Miss Catherine O'Brien, whose parents were interested in several pastoral properties, The late Mr. Cobcroft is survived by his widow, two sons — Arthur and Gavin, the latter in the Air Force — and one daughter, Kathleen. One son, Darcy, predeceased him.
Source: Warwick Daily News 5 Dec 1942

Catherine Anne O'Brien

The police are endeavouring to trace a pearl necklace, valued at £875, lost on Monday by Mrs. Catherine Anne Cobcroft, who resides at the Hotel Australia.Mrs. Cobcroft told Detective-Sergeant Truskett that she did not suspect that the necklace had been stolen, but thought that she had lost it, either at the Hotel Australia or between the hotel and Darling Point-road, Darling Point. Mrs. Cobcroft left the hotel at 11 a.m., wearing the necklace, and travelled by motor car to a house in Darling Point- road. Returning to the hotel at 6 p.m., she missed the necklace, which she thinks must have fallen off . The necklace contained 119 pearls, with a gold "push" fastener set in three diamonds, and with a platinum safety pin attached. The pearls were "graduated."

Source: The SMH Feb 1927


Mrs. C. A. Cobcroft

On her 71st birthday, the death occurred recently of Mrs. Catherine Ann Cobcroft at the home of her daughter, Kathleen, of " Listowel, " Edgecllff-road, Woollahra. Mrs. Cobcroft was a Queenslander educated at All Hallows Convent, Brisbane, and the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Patrick O'Brien. Mr. O'Brien was a friend in his early days of Archbishop Duhig. Mrs. Cobcroft was the widow of Mr. Arthur John Cobcroft, who opened and managed the Commercial Banking Co. of Sydney in Ingham and later in Warwick before coming to Sydney to live. D'Arcy, their eldest son, educated at St. Ignatius' College, Rivervlew, died in the Mater Miserlcordia'e Hospital. Sydney, in 1917. Mrs. Cobcroft is survived by three children, Arthur, Gavin, and Kathleen. Requiem Mass was celebrated at St. Joseph's Church, Edgecliff, by the Rev. Father Celestlne Moriarty, O. F. M., who also officiated at the family vault at Gore Hill.
Source: Catholic Weekly 30 Oct 1937

694. D'arcy Patrick Cobcroft

Deep gloom was cast over Riverview College, on Thursday last, by news that Darcy, Patrick Cobcroft had died that morning in the Mater Misericordiae, private Hospital, North Sydney (says the "Catholic Press''). He was one of the most popular boys in the College, a splendid type of young Australian manhood. 17 years of age, a clever and industrious student, and a fine athlete. He was a son of Mr. and Arthur .J. Cobcrolt, of Warwick. (Q), and a grandson of the late Mr. Patrick O'Brien, of "The Nest,'' Leura, Darcy and his brother Arthur had been home for their holidays, and although Darcy felt unwell he insisted on returning to college; but on arriving in Syd ney he was so ill that he had to be placed in the hospital. His parents were advised, and they hurried to his bedside. . He survived only a week. On Friday morning the  remains were brought to St. Mary's Ridge street, North Sydney, where the Requeim Mass was celebrated by the Very Rev. Father B. Corish, S.J. At 3 o'clock in the afternoon final blessing was given in the church by the Rev. Father Sullivan.
S.I. .(prefect of the students at Riverview) who was assisted by Rev. Fathers Healy and O'Keefe. The funeral cortege was met at Gore Hill cemetery by over a hundred of Darcy's school-boy comrades, who walked three deep in front of the hearse up the central avenue. The cross-Dearer at the head of the procession was Master , and with him, as acolytes were the other five boy prefects of the school —Master L. Henrys, W. Gissane, C. Coyle, J. Sullivan, and C. Dalglish.  A guard of honor, formed of two detachment of cadets from Riverview and from St. Aloysius College marched on either side of the hearse, with rifles reversed.  At the graveside the Very Rev. Father T. Qartlan, S.J. (Rector ot Riverview), assisted by Very Rev. Father  E. Corish, S.V. blessed the grave  and recited the last prayers. When the coffin had been lowered into the grave, the Guard of honor saluted by presenting arms, and then rested on reversed arms, while the boy bugler from St. Aloysius College played  tthe 'Last Post'.
At the graveside Father Gartled paid a fine tribute to the boy's memory. Riverview, he said, was in sorrow because one of the brightest, most promising and deep religious principles, had been withdrawn. There was sorrow among his schoolmates, because one, who had seen as a cheering ray of sunshine, one who, in a rare degree had shated their labors and recreations, their joys and sorrows. a loving and most lovable companion, had gone elswhere. He felt particularly for his parents.  When the grave had been filled in many beautiful wreaths of flowers, including a grand floral cross, were placed on it by three of his school companions—Norman White, T.  Loughlin, and Geoff Tilbury.

Source: The Catholic Press 2 Aug 1917

201. George Cresswell Cobcroft

His Honor dismissed both petitions in the part-heard suit in which George Creswell Cobcroft sought a divorce from Constance Ushancy Victoria Cobcroft, on the ground of her misconduct with Edward Miles, who was joined as co-respondent; and in which the respondent applied for a judicial separation on the grounds of the petitioner's misconduct, cruelty, and desertion. Mr. Hardwick, instructed by Mr. W. C. Moseley, appeared for the petitioner; and Mr. J. C. Gannon, K.C., and Mr. Perry, instructed by Mr. H. Everingham, for the respondent. The co- respondent conducted his own case.
Source: The SMH 17 Oct 1916

In the Divorce Court at Sydney Geo. O. Cobcroft, ex-police constable, formerly of Coonamble and Dubbo, sought a divorce from Constance Cobcroft. Mrs. Cobcroft. also sought the dissolution of her marriage with petitioner.  The parties were married at St. Paul's Church, Nyngan, in 1889. Mrs. Cobcroft belonged to Eschol before mar riage. Both petitions were dismissed, with costs against.Cobcroft, who is now a private detective in Sydney.
Source: The SMH 14 Oct 1916

715. Percy C Cobcroft

A short time age the news was re- ceived that Private P. C. Cobcroft had been dangerously wounded in the chest and shoulder while fighting in France, and now his father, Mr A. C. Cobcroft, of St. Clair, has received the sad intelligence that his son died of his wounds on May 2, five days after he was disabled. Deceased, who was 28 years of age, enlisted in August, 1914, and left Singleton with the first party of Light Horse, sailing on October 30, 1914. He fought at Gallipoli, and was invalided with enteric, going to England. He went over to France in November last, and had been fighting there ever since. Prior to enlisting he was engaged as a stockman, at St. Clair for the Camden Park Estate.
Source: The Singleton Argus 29 may 1917

David Lewis Davies

Captain David Lewis Davies died in a private hospital, at Chatswood, on Thursday last, after a long illness, aged 58 years. He was born at sea in October, 1871, and sailed with his father the late Captain David Davies, in his early childhood. He was educated at the Owestry Grammar School, England, and served his time in his uncle's sailing ships. He sailed in the Cardigan Castle and General Gordon out of Liverpool. During this time he saved a ship's crew of 18, for which he held a modal presented to him by the King of Norway and Sweden. He went into steam in the Hall Line of Liverpool in 1898. He had the experience of being wrecked in 1903, on Farquhar Island, in the steamer Hardwick Hall. He was missing from October until January and was picked up by H.M.S Pearl. On return to England he joined the cross Channel mail boats, plying between Belfast and Fleetwood; Atter serving there he decided to come to Australia, bringing out the well-known North Coast boat Brundah. He was master in the North Coast Co. for 23 years on one occasion, when the steering gear of the Pulganbar was carried away on the Clarence River bar. He is survived by a widow, two sons, und a daughter (Mrs. F. L. Davies). The funeral took place at the Northern Suburbs Church of England Cemetery, and Canon Begbie officiated at the graveside.
Source: The SMH 29 May 1929