Australian English Genealogy

Descendants of Philip Strickland

Notes - Page 2

2. Pierce Strickland

Discovery of Gold on the Lachlan. — Writing on the 24th ultimo, the Carcoar correspondent of the Bathurst Times says; — Mr. Pierce Strickland has discovered gold on the Lachlan, at one of Mr. Ranken's stations. One nugget is about the size of the middle finger in length and width, and about the thickness of a half-crown. Since the discovery of the first he has found several smaller pieces. The gold was found about two feet from the surface, close alongside of the river, where there is an abundance of water for any number of diggers. Should it turn out to be a payable gold-field, it will be of immense value to the Western districts.
Source: Sydney Mail 6 Jul 1861

Mr. Pierce Strickland, who in co-operation with Messrs. Kirkpatrick and Twaddell, received the Government reward for the discovery of gold on the Lachlan, has succeeded in finding wash-dirt on Reed's free selection at Currajong, that prospects one penny-weight to the tub.
Source: The Mining Record and Grenfell General Advertiser 19 Oct 1867

Letitia O'Hara

Convicted in 1827 in Cavan of stealing handkerchiefs. Arrived on the Edward

Tuesday.-Letitia O'Hara was charged with the following breach of good manners. It was strongly suspected that Letitia was in the habit of taking moonlight flittings. and a constable was stationed to twig her motions ; at the hour of twelve, Letitia appeared at the two pair jump, from which she boldly dropped to the ground, the constable imme- diately encircled her delicate waist, whispering to her, "where are you going to my pretty maid?" " Go to the Devil" Letitia said, and commenced cuffing him soundly, but the constable was not to be intimidated, and bore her off to the watchhouse. 2 months Gordon's College.
Source: The SMH 31 May 1832

3. Josiah J Strickland

Early on Monday morning last, in the old home at Bundaburra, surrounded by every member of his large family, the spirit of the master of that house-hold passed peacefully away. For months past Mr. Strickland had been a patient sufferer, and during the last few weeks he had been altogether confined to his bed. He was one of the very oldest of the "old residents" on the Lachlan, having settled at Bunda- burra as far back as the year 1837, and continued to reside there until the time of his death. He was born on the 28th January, 1813, on a farm owned by his father in the valley of the Nepean, and within seven miles of Penrith, He lost his parents in early life, his mother dying when he was only two years old, and his father was accidently shot whilst capturing a bushranger some fourteen years later. Three brothers John, Pierce, and Josiah the only remaining members of the family, were then thrown upon the world to seek their own fortunes; and after the lapse of a very few years they all decided upon striking out for the then almost unknown settlement on the Lachlan, where they soon became engaged in pastoral pursuits. Stations were few and far between in those days, and the pleasures and advantages of society did not enter into the calculations of the early pioneers, who were paving the way for what was to be one of the most important mining and pastoral districts in New South Wales. Subsequently Mr. Strickland purchased the Bundaburra and Weelong runs from Mr. James Collitts (whose death we reported last week), for the sum of £8000, and later still he purchased the Boyd and Battery runs from Mr. H. Hamilton, for £10,000. The old home-station at Bundaburra still continued to be the central homestead, and under its hospitable roof a large family soon began to gather round.
Nearly twenty years ago, in 1861, the appearance of things was altered in this hitherto quiet pastoral scene, by the sudden irruption of some 30,000 diggers, and others who had been attracted by the fame of the Lachlan goldfields. Bundaburra was the last camping place on the road to the new Eldorado for those who were crowding in from New Zealand, Victoria, and the country south of the Murrumbidgee, and hundreds of weary way-worn travellers could testify to the hospitalities of Bundaburra even in those days. Then, when society began to be organised, and the various institutions of a populous township were springing up, Mr. Strickland took a leading part in all matters relating to the welfare of the town and people of Forbes. Both himself and Mrs. Strickland interested themselves largely in the building and furnishing of a parsonage, some twelve miles, on the river, from Forbes, and during the pastorate of the Rev. Mr. Brownrigg, and the clergymen who have succeeded him up to the present time, Mr. Strickland has ever been a zealous and consistent supporter of the church to which he belonged. We have no need to lift the shroud-fold of his memory to point to his good deeds. They speak, though he himself is gone, and the hold he had upon public sympathy and esteem was seen in the brimming eyes of strong men as they stood round his open grave on Tuesday, listening to the family of death sorrowfully and yet rejoicingly, and bowing in reverent worshipfulness to the Supreme Disposer of events who had called a good man home. Mr. Strickland was one of the oldest (if not the oldest) magistrates belonging to the Forbes bench, and in the busier times, when a large population was settled here, he used to come in nearly every day to attend to his magisterial duties, and these were discharged with unvarying faithfulness and impartiality. For weeks past it was known to his family and friends that the disease from which he was suffering would prove fatal, and it was one of the greatest consolations of his dying hours to have those whom he had loved in life around him when death was near. He was partially unconscious for some hours before he died, but in his last conscious moments he gave the best evidence of his fitness for the change by his resignation, his trust, and his extreme humility. Under his own endeared roof- tree he passed away, and the soft night wind as it rippled over the placid water he had loved to look upon in life carried with it his latest breath. The writer saw him only a few days before the sad part- ing time came, and the last words he then uttered as old memories and affections stole over his fading powers, were "Remember me to all old friends." On Tuesday his remains were brought from Bundaburra to St. John's church at Forbes, accompanied by a large following of friends and relatives. It was like the gathering of the clans upon the death of some patriarch chieftain, and mourners whose faces were saddened by sorrow were seen coming in from all directions. By Mr. Strickland's own wish his body was carried by four of his sons, and when the coffin was placed between the two porches of the church some wreaths of flowers were lovingly placed thereon. The church was crowded to excess, and the first part of the service was road most impressively by the Rev. Canon Dunstan. On leaving the church door the sad cortege was reformed, there being not loss than fifty conveyances and a hundred horsemen in attendance. Arrived at the cemetery the concluding portion of the beautiful Church of England burial service was read at the grave, and there was scarcely a dry eye in that silent mournful gathering. At the close of the service Canon Dunstan referred in elo- quent and pathetic terms to the interest which the deceased had taken in all parochial and church matters, and to the strong feeling of friendship which had existed during the period of his pastorate, and earnestly exhorted his hearers to mark well the lessons which had been orced upon them by the sad duties of that day. If it be comely to dress the dead, to decorate the coffin, to speak a word of sorrow at the grave's mouth, to plant flowers upon the mound under which the form of a sleeper is lying, or to raise a monument in memory of those whom we knew and loved, it will not be grudged that we should have devoted so much of our space in speaking of one who was so well known throughout this district as Mr. Josiah Strick- land, and for whom the writer has had a feeling of more than mere friendship for nearly 20 years. Though dead, he lives and speaks; and, are not the dead the masters of the world ? For the living obey little else than the influences with which they have interpenetrated the present. Life is not a passing influence, it is a task having a purpose, efforts : for there is, even in this globe of graves, a life beyond for man. If it be said that a newspaper is no place for the expression of such sentiments, we will stand aside with our human thoughts and allow all heaven's light to fall upon the sleeper in his chill loneliness. "So shall we do, for so would they have done,
Say not, they are no more !
Those who the heart with reverence thus can fill,
Say not their power is o'er
When their life's traces are around us still."
Source: Australian Town and Country Journal 15 Jan 1881

Mary Ann Higgins


The death of Mrs. M. A. Strickland, "which took place at her home at Bundaburra at about 6 p.m. 0n Tuesday evening last "(says Friday's Forbes Times) removed from our midst a lady who for some time has projected in the distinction of being the oldest woman on the Lachlan, as well as the first white woman to venture on to the river about these parts. Mrs. Strickland celebrated her 93rd birthday on the 15th of last month. She was at that time in a very low state of health, due to an attack of bronchitis and while she partially recovered-from this the struggle left her in a weakened state ,and she passed away peacefully on the evening stated. The deceased lady was the daughter of the late Mr. Thomas Higgins, who in the early days owned Nanna station near Forbes, to which property Mrs, Strickland first came in 1830—82 years ago since when she has continually lived in the district. She was a native of the Nepean River, and at the early age of 16 years married the late Josiah Strickland, also a native of the Nepean. After their marriage at Nanima, Mr. and Mrs. Strickland went to Bundaburra, and the grand old lady, who has seen this district pass through many stages in its history, had for 77 years lived at the home to which she went as a bride, where many instances of her good work were accomplished. Naturally during her long life she was closely associated with many of the stirring events connected with the early days of the district, and being blessed with a most retentive memory, even in her declining years, her reminiscences of the past were always interesting. She saw Forbes in the days when cattle raising was the chief industry here, and when the stations were few and far between; afterwards came the sheep, and later on wheat-growing, the staple industry of this district today. Her husband who predeceased her by some 37 years, purchased the Bundaburra and Weelong runs from the late Mr. James Collits for £8000, and later on he acquired, for the consideration of £10,000, the Boyd and Battery Hill runs from Mr. H. Hamilton, the father of Judge Hamilton. When the gold rush came in 1861, Bundaburra was the last camping place on the road to the new Eldorado for those who were crowding in from the Murrumbidgee, and hundreds from among those 40,000 diggers then on the field could testify to the hospitality of Bundaburra even in those days. The late Mrs. Strickland was a woman who was renowned for her hospitable and charitable deeds, and on one occasion it is related that even the notorious bushranger, Ben Hall, was the recipient of her kindly care and attention when he had the misfortune to break his leg through being kicked by a horse. After the digging days and the various institutions of a populous town were springing into existence at Forbes, Mr. and Mrs Strickland took a leading part in many movements for the welfare and advancement of the people of this community. Both interested themselves largely in the building and furnishing of a parsonage some 12 miles down the river, and the locality still bears its name to this day. This was during the pastorage of the Rev. Mr. Browning, then Church of England minister at Forbes. Mrs. Strickland was always a devoted adherent and consistent supporter of her church, and it was largely due to her generosity that the present day Church at Barenong was established and maintained. The death of this fine old lady, though expected for some time, will he deplored by every man, woman and child in the community, for her affectionate and sympathetic nature endeared her to all. As a mark of respect to her memory the flag at the Town Hall 0n Wednesday was at half-mast. Her funeral yesterday morning, which was preceded by a service at the Church of England, was very largely attended, many life-long friends journeying long distances to pay their last sad respects to her memory at the graveside. The service was conducted by the Rector, the Rev. H. H. Mirrington. The late Mrs, Strickland had a family of five sons and five daughters, but two of the latter are dead. The surviving members are: —Messrs. Phillip, Edward, John, Thomas, and Joseph Strickland, and Mrs. E. Thomas Grenfell), Mrs. Dr. McQueen and Mrs. Morrow (Sydney). There are a number of grand-children and great-grandchildren
Source: Western Champion 10 Oct 1918

17. Josiah John Strickland

STRICKLAND -August 23 1923 at Ashfield, Josiah John Strickland, late of Barrcenong Station, Forbes, aged 71 vears.
Source: The SMH 29 Aug 1922

19. Thomas Strickland

Mr. Thomas Strickland, one time of Forbes, fourth son of Mr. and Mrs. Josiah Strickland, who were amongst the first settlers in the Forbes district and owned Bundaburra station has died at Coogee, aged 76 years. Born at Bundaiburra, tho property of his father, which had until recently remained in the possession of the Strickland family for over 90 years, he spent the greater part of, liis life in the Forbes district. For a number of years he lived on part of the holding, later succeeding to that portion known as Bundaburra, on the death of his mother. On retiring from active grazing: pursuits, deceased disposed of his interests to his nephew, Mr. Shaw Strickland, and went into residence in Sydney from whence he made his annual journeys to Forbes at picnic race and show time. Mr. Strickland married Miss Oakes of Bathurst; who pre-deceased him by several years. He was one of a fam ily of five sons and five daughters, those surviving being Mr. J. Strickland and Mrs. Morrow and Mrs. Mc Queene , of Sydney and Mrs. . E.Thomas of Grenfell.
Source: Western Champion 18 Sep 1930

Probate has been granted of the will of Mr. Thomas Strickland, late of Coogee, widower, who left an estate valued at £28,224. Testator, who died on September 10 last, at the age of 76 years, appointed the Perpetual Trustee Co. (Ltd.), of Hunter street, Sydney, sole executor and trustee of his will. He bequeathed £100 to Clarence Gemmell, at one time employed by the testa- tor on Bundaburra station, near Forbes; and £50 each to St. John's Church of England, Forbes, and to the Forbes District Hospital. Testator left £2000 to Shaw Strickland, of Forbes, grazier, and £4000 to Phillip Herbert James Strickland, of Glen Yarra, near Forbes, grazier. The residuary estate was left in trust for the benefit of the testator's brothers and sisters in equal shares.
Source: The SMH 16 Dec 1930