Australian English Genealogy

Descendants of Richard Ridge

Notes - 4

34. Enoch John Cobcroft

Mr. Enoch John Cobcroft, a member of one of Australia's pioneer families, died at his home in Seaview Street, Summer Hill, yester- day, at the age of 90 years.Mr. Cobcroft was actively engaged in the pastoral Industry for many years, mainly in the Hunter Valley and in the Moree district, where he owned station properties. He later continued his association with the land as chairman of the Closer Settlement Advisory Board, which position he occupied for 10 years, until his retirement in 1916. Mr. Cobcroft was born in 1847, and educated in Macquarie Fields, Parramatta, now known as The King's School. After a short training in commercial methods, he took over the management of his father's stud farm, Sunnyside Estate, on the Hunter River. Later he secured interests in Keepit Station and Charlton Estate, in the Hunter Valley, and Combardelo Station, at Moree, and carried on sheep and cattle raising.
At the age of 27 years, he joined the Lands Department, and shortly afterwards was appointed District Surveyor for Bourke and the Western Lands Division, and later District Surveyor for Wagga. The wide experience gained in these positions led to his appointment as chairman of the Closer Settlement Advisory Board.
The funeral will leave for the Rookwood Crematorium to-day, after a service at St. Andrew's Church of England, Summer Hill.

Source: The SMH 28 Dec 1937

143. Millicent Stewart Cobcroft

Sister Millicent Steuart Cobcroft, who died on Saturday at the Summer Hill residence of her father (Mr. Enoch J. Cobcroft, late chairman of the Closer Settlement Advisory Board), was born at Sunnyside station, in the Singleton district. After leaving school, she entered the Coast Hospital, and, after passing her examinations with honours, became one of the leading nurses of Sydney. She enlisted early in the war, and served in the 14th Australian General Hospital at Abassia. The officer command- ing the British hospital there applied for assistance from the Australian hospital, and Sister Cobcroft was placed in control of a ward. Trying conditions there undoubtedly undermined her health. On returning to Sydney she did not resume nursing. She did much gratuitous work among the poor. She was proud of her ancestry, which on her mother's side traced back to the Stuart Kings. The late Lady Simpson was her aunt.
The remains were interred in the Church of England portion of the Rookwood Cemetery on Monday.

Source: The SMH 26 Jul 1933

153. Geoffrey Stewart Cobcroft

Geoffrey Sidney Cobcroft, aged 28, chemist, of Taree, was fatally injured, and Len Carroll, teller at the Taree branch of the National Bank, suffered severe shock when the motor car in which they were journeying to Wingham overturned near the golf links on Monday. Cobcroft's neck was broken. Carroll was driving. At the spot there is a ledge with potholes. On Saturday night, it is stated, Cobcroft was involved in a motor car accident at Jones' Island. A brother was killed whilst participating in a motor cycle race at an Eight-hour sports meeting in Sydney two years ago. A sad feature is that when the last inquest was held at Taree into tho death of a man who was killed at the railway bridge at Killawarra, Cob croft kindly attended and typed the deposition, in order to oblige the Coroner. Cobcroft'a parents reside at Dulwich Hill.  

Source: Singleton Argus 17 Feb 1932

154. Maurice Stewart Cobcroft

MOTOR CYCLIST KILLED THROWN DURING RACE. Sydney, Oct. 6. Stuart Cobcroft, aged 23 years, of Seaview-street Summerhill, was killed when thrown from a motor cycle in a race at the Eight-Hour Day sports at the showground to day. A machine following struck him on the head. He died after admission to hospital.

Source: Western Argus (Kalgoorlie) 14 Oct 1930

Catherine Anne O'Brien

The police are endeavouring to trace a pearl necklace, valued at £875, lost on Monday by Mrs. Catherine Anne Cobcroft, who resides at the Hotel Australia. Mrs. Cobcroft told Detective-Sergeant Truskett that she did not suspect that the neck- lace had been stolen, bat thought that she had lost it, either at the Hotel Australia or
between the hotel and Darling Point-road, Darling Point. Mrs. Cobcroft left tho hotel at 11 a.m., wearing the necklace, and travelled by motor car to a house in Darling Point- road. Returning to the hotel at 6 p.m., she missed the necklace, which she thinks must have fallen off.The necklace contained 119 pearls, with a gold "push" fastener set in three diamonds, and with a platinum safety pin attached. The pearls were "graduated."

Source: The SMH 2nd Feb 1927

225. D'arcy Patrick Cobcroft

One gloom was cast over Riverview College, on Thursday last, by news that Darcy, Patrick Cobcroft had died that morning in the Mater Misericordiae , private Hospital,, North Sydney. He was one of the most popular boys in the College a splendid type of young Australian manhood,.17 years of age, a clever and industrious student, and a. fine athlete. He was a son of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur .J. Cobcroft, of Warwick. (Q), and a grandson of the late Mr. Patrick O'Brien, of "The Nest,,'' Leura, Darcy and his brother Arthur had been home for their holidays, and although Darcy felt unwell he insisted on returning to college ; but on arriving to Sydney he was so ill that he had to b» placed; in the hospital. His parents were advised, and they hurried to his bedside. He survived only a/week.
On Friday morning the remains were brought to St. Mary's Ridge Street, North Sydney, where the Requiem Mass was celebrated by the Very Rev. Father E.Corish,S.J. At 3 o'clock in the afternoon the final blessing was given in the church by the Rev- Father Sullivan.S.J., preferct of the students at Riverview, who was ssisted by Rev, Fathers Healy and O'Keefe. The funeral cortege was met at Corp Hill cemetery by over a hundred of Darcy's schoolboy comrades, who walked three deep in front of the hearse up the central avenue. The cross-bearer at the head of the procession was Master V.Byrne, and with him, as acolytes were the other five boy prefects of the school —Master L. Henrys, W. Gissane, C. Coyle, J. Sullivan, and C. Dalglish A guard of honor, formed or two detachment of cadets from Riverview and from St. AIoysius College marched on  either side of the hearse, with rifles reversed.
At the graveside the Very Rev. Father T. Gartlan, S.J. (Rector ot Riverview), assisted by Very Rev. Father E.Corish, blessed thegrave and recited the last prayers. When the coffinn had been lowered into the grave, the Guard of honor saluted by presenting arms, and then rested on reversed arms, while the boy bugler from St.Aloysius College sounded the Last Post.
At the graveside the very Rev. Father T. Gartland paid a line tribute  to the boy's memory. Riverview, he said, was in sorrow because one of the brightest, most promising, and most loyal students—a student who was a model of integrity, earnestness and deep religious principles, had been withdrawn. There was sorrow among- his schoolmates, because onehad been a cheering ray of sunshine, one who, in a rare degreen, had shared their labors and recreations, their Joys and sorrows. a loving and most lovable companion, had pone elsewhere. He felt  particularly for his parents.
When the grave had been filled in, many beautiful wreaths and flowers, including a grand floral cross, were placed on it by three of his school companions—Norman White, T. Mc Loughlin, and Geoff Tilbury.

Source: The Catholic Press 2 Aug 1917

64. George Cresswell Cobcroft

1916 George applied to divorce Constance. 

In.tbe Divorce Court at Sydney Geo. C. Cobcroft, ex-police constable, formerly of Coonamble andDubbo, sought a divorce from Constantine Cobcroft. Mrs. Cobcroft. also sought the dissolution of her marriage with petitioner The parties were married at St. Paul's Church, Nyngan, in 1889. Mrs. Cobcroft belonged to Eschol before
marriage. Both petitions -were dismissed, with costs against Cobcroft, who is now a private detective in Sydney.

Source: The SMH 14 Oct 1916

His Honor dismissed both petitions in the part-heard suit in which George Creswell Cobcroft sought a divorce from Constance Ushance Victoria Cobcroft, on the ground of her misconduct with Edward Miles, who was joined as co-respondent; and in which the respondent applied for a judicial separation on the grounds of the petitioner's misconduct, cruelty, and desertion. Mr. Hardwick, instructed by Mr. W. C. Moseley, appeared for the petitioner; and Mr. J. C. Gannon, K.C., and Mr. Perry, instructed by Mr. H. Everingham, for the respondent. The co- respondent conducted his own case.

Source: The SMH 17 Oct 1916