43. William Tunks
MR. W. TUNKS.
WE regret to have to report that Mr. Wm. Tunks, of St. Leonards, died on April 12, after a long and painful illness. Mr. Tunks was born in the Nepean River district in the year 1816. In early life he was apprenticed to Mr. James Byrne, of Parramatta, to learn the trade of a carpenter and joiner. This occupation he does not seem to have followed long, as after his marriage he kept an hotel at the corner of Park and Castlereagh streets. In addition to this business, he commenced contracting, an occupation he followed with great success. Amongst the larger undertakings he had in hand were the Supply of blue metal from the Pennant Hills quarry to tho Sydney Municipal Council, and the erection of a of telegraph in various parts of the interior. Of his contracts of the latter class was establishing telegraph: communication with Albury, and thence with Melbourne, in ISC A Mr. Tunks was returned as member for St. Leonards. and continued to represent that constituency until 1874, when he retired, Mr. J. S. Parnell being his successor. While Mr. Tunks was' not a leading spirit in tho deliberations of the House, he was a useful conscientious legislator, who devoted much of his time and attention to his Parliamentary duties. His most successful labours, however, were of a local nature and confined mainly to the district of St. Leonards and North Shore. He was the means of having St. Leonards incorporated and became the first Mayor of the Borough. So much were his good offices appreciated that he was re-elected to the same office no fewer than 15 times. The improvements in the public reserve at St. Leonards, tho general cemetery at North Shore, the baths at Lavender Bay, and other works of public utility in the district testify to his ability and foresight as an administrator of local affairs. Mr. Tunks was the founder of the St. Leonards School of Arts and chairman of the district school board, North Shore. During his busy life he filled other offices of trust and responsibility with credit to himself and benefit to the matter with which he was associated. In his younger days Mr. Tunks made a considerable figure as a cricketer, and represented his colony in the earliest matches with Victoria ; his contemporaries being Clarkson, Rowley, Still, Mount, and Richard Driver.
Source: Australian Town and Country Journal 21 Apr 1883
51. Thomas Arndell
At his residence, Elgin-street, West Maitland, on Saturday, 28th May, 1859, Mr. Thomas Arndell, aged thirty-four years, deeply and deservedly regretted by all who knew him.
Source: The Maitland Mercury and Hunter River General Advertiser 31 May 1859
52. John Arndell
A DISASTROUS FIRE.
A disastrous fire occurred at Rocky Creek station on Friday night. The wooden buildings, including the storeroom, which was stacked with shearing sup- plies that had just arrived, were reduced to ashes. Mr. John Arndell, the owner, was away at the Sand Holes station, where shearing is in progress. The fire started about 10 p.m., owing to some bed curtains coming into contact with a lighted candle. The housekeeper displayed great pluck in rescuing one of the children. The door was locked on the inside, and the child was screaming, as the room was all ablaze. The housekeeper dashed through a small window in her nightclothes and saved the boy. Her hair was burnt off. Only the brick portion of the building was left. All the clothing and treasures of the Misses Arndell and all Mr. Arndell's papers, which were very valuable, were destroyed. The property was uninsured.
Source: The SMH 13 Sep 1898
66. James Thomas IV Arndell
Death of Mr James Thomas IV Arndell
One of the most widely known and respected residents of the Cattai district (Hawkesbury River), Mr J T. Arndell, died at Windsor on Tuesday last after a brief illness. For the last seven or eight years Mr Arndell, who had previously been, occupied in grazing pursuits in tho Singleton district, had been carrying on farming and grazing operations on the old family estate of Caddie, at the junction of the Cattai Creek with the Hawkesbury River, where his ancestors settled in the early days of the colony. His wife predeceased him by only a few weeks, and he leaves a son and daughter. The remains were interred in the family vault (Church of England Cemetery, Windsor}, of his great grandfather, Dr. Thomas Arndell, who came to Australia as assistant-surgeon of the first fleet.
Source: Singleton Argus 30 Jul 1912
Henrietta Elizabeth Johnstone
Mrs Henrietta Arndell, wife of Mr James T. .Arndell, ot 'Caddie,' who died at the residence of her son, at Strathfield, on the 12th instant, was a daughter of the late Mrs Alexander Kennedy Johnstone, who was buried in the Presbyterian cemetery, Windsor, and besides whose remains the late Mrs Arndell was laid to rest on the 13th lnstant. the subject of this notice was twice married, being the widow of the late Andrew Loder when she married Mr Arndell. By her first marriage there were five children, three of whom are dead, the survivors being Mr Alexander Loder, of Wee Waa, and Mr Ernest Loder, of ' Oakley,' near Singleton, both station owners. By her marriage with Mr Arndell there were two children — Mr Arthur Arndell, of the head office of the Bank of New South Wales, and who resides at Strathfield, Miss B Arndell, who lives at Caddie. The deceased lady, who was 74 years of age, had been ailing for about nine months, and had gone to Strathfield for medical treatment, but growing worse, succumbed to internal hemorrhage. Mr Arndell and his son and daughter have the sympathy of the people of the Hawkesbury district in their bereavement. The late Mrs Arndell was greatly beloved, and possessed many estimable traits of character. The remains were brought to Windsor for interment, as already stated. The funeral moved from the Presbyterian Church, where Rev. D. Baird, substituted by Rev. A. Dandie and Rev. J. Marshall held a touching service, and was attended by a large and representative concourse of people. Rev. D. Baird, .assisted by Rev. A. Dandie, performed the last rites, and Mr J. W. Chandler carried out the duties of undertaker.
Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 22 Jun 1912