Australian English Genealogy

Descendants of Thomas Eather

Seventh Generation

2331. Matilda Maud Moller (Ann Valentine Mary Jane Maltman , Catherine Jane Giles , Ann Eaton , Mary Ann Onus , Ann Elizabeth Eather , Thomas Eather ) was born in 1896. She died in 1966.

Matilda married Walter James Frederick Fagg in 1917. Walter was born in 1890.

They had the following children:

  2436 M i Living
        Living married Living.
  2437 F ii Living
        Living married Living.
  2438 F iii Living
        Living married Living.
  2439 F iv Living
        Living married Living.
  2440 M v Vincent Stephen Fagg was born in 1925. He died in 1978.
        Vincent married Living.
  2441 F vi Living
        Living married Living.

2413. Arthur John Doggett (George J R Doggett , Ada Eva Fletcher , Elizabeth Freeman , Mary Ann Williams , Charlotte Eather , Thomas Eather ) died in 1976.

Arthur married Living.

They had the following children:

  2442 M i Edward Thomas Doggett died in 1945.  


 First Previous

Surname List | Name Index


Copyright © 2017. All Rights Reserved



Reminiscences of

[By "Cooramill."]
No. 10.
When writing of the business premises in Windsor-street, occupied by Mr. King, I forgot that Mr, Robert Eather, whom I mentioned as a butcher in the building adjoining, was the first to occupy the premises under notice after the Grinsells.  Then came Mr. King, after whom, Mr. W. Sullivan, I think, was the next, and he carried on a successful business for many years. Then he built " Osier Bank " cottage in East Richmond, where he has resided for a number of years with his good, kind wife and family, so highly respected in our midst. He is now enjoying the fruits of his indus try, which he richly deserves. He is a man who never interferes with what does not concern him, and is one of the few men I know whom I have never known anyone speak ill of. The same remark may be applied to the family. It is the wish of the writer that Mr. Sullivan and his good wife may enjoy all this world's blessings in the afternoon of their lives at picturesque " Osier Bank."
The next building, now occupied by Mr. H. Sly, has been used for various trades. The first I remember was butchering and baking, combined, by Mr. T. Eather. Then some member of the Dargin family carried on there as butcher. The front portion then was not as it is now, it being built of wood ; but in the early forties the wood was replaced by brick, and then the premises were used for shoe- making under different management. The first to carry on that form of enterprise was the late Mr. E. Young, who had a number of apprentices. Among the latter were Dan Collins, Tom and Ted Crisford, Bill Cross George Hewitt (now of Kurrajong), and others.
At the same time, I may mention, there were several other establishments in the town, where a number of apprentices were employed. Notably among these was that of Mr. Paull's, who afterwards removed to Bathurst, and who must have had over a dozen, for he carried on the business of both saddlery and shoemaking. Among these apprentices were Jack Webster (whom I have already referred to as a "ped"), then his brother George, Monte Shepperd, the two Edwards, Tom Fletcher, George Thorley, and others whose names I forget. I often meet Jack Webster and Monte, who now reside in Mudgee.
I shall never forget an incident which occurred during Monte's apprenticeship. Old Mr, Bragg, who was Mr. Paull's foreman, was giving Monte a taste of the stirrup-leather a favorite strap used for correcting unruly apprentices-when the latter bobbed between the old man's legs, and then, standing erect rather sud- denly, Mr. Bragg found himself floundering all fours on the floor, and Monte was seen making his exit out of the workshop, in even time.
There were also other establishments. Mr. Guest (whom I have al- ready alluded to) had a number of apprentices-Owen Oxley, Bill Potts, Bob Wood, besides several of his own sons, who learned the business. Among the apprentices of the different establishments there always existed a certain amount of rivalry sometimes friendly ; at other times, of a different nature. Each boy thought the establishment from which he hailed was superior to that of the others ; consequently things would not be too comfortable —and well I remember it ! When an occasion would arise and we thought we could play some trick on each other without being found out, we would try it, but we were often caught. The result would be that I would invariably come in for the chastisement, for it was I who invariably would be caught. I was like the boy in the old song :—
When boys broke windows in our school,
Or robbed an apple-tree,
They got off with the apples
But the thrashing fell on me."
The worst of it was, these thrashings were always effected with the stirrup-leather, it would not break any bones, but, my eye! it would sting! It was only on one occasion that I got off without " tasting the leather," but the substituted punishment was worse, for two of Paul's boys—big Jack Edwards and Tom Fletcher—held me down, while another smothered my head and face with the contents of their paste-horns, and, to make their work more effective, they rubbed my head in the sand. They did not have to go far for the sand, for that was six inches deep in the street—I think I told you that before. Oh ! It was great fun for the other fellows ; I could not see much of it, for the paste had closed my eyes. Fortunately, I had one friend who stuck to me—George Hewitt He led me to the horse-trough at the well in the Union Inn yard. There, after a few dips and a great amount of rubbing, I got rid of a portion of the paste-sufficient to enable me to see my way home. But I ever afterwards abhorred the sight of the paste-horn, and religiously left Paul's boys alone.
Speaking of apprentices, at the time of which I am writing there must have been over 40 in Richmond. I can enumerate nearly 30 in the leather trade alone, without mentioning the blacksmiths, builders, and others. At the present time, on the other hand, there is not, with the exception, per- haps, of Mr. Mitchell's coachbuilding establishment, one indentured apprentice in the town !
As regards the leather trade, the reason of this is obvious, for at the period of which I write we had three tanning and curing establishments in full work in the town, viz.—Guest's, Cornwell's, and Dean's. Then we had several boot factories, with a number of men and boys employed.
At the present time there are none ! Why is it thus ? I sometimes think it must be that the railway has some- thing to do with the decline. On ac- count of being so near to that great centre—Sydney—and the easy access of getting there with our raw products and obtaining our manufactured supplies in return, people now flock to Sydney with their produce, and for almost everything required for their use, It is a well-known fact that produce and fruit grown here can often be purchased in Sydney at a less cost than the grower will ask you for it in the (orchard or field. I will give you an instance:—A large storekeeper, who dealt principally in kind or barter, had a lot of hides for which a local tanner offered a certain price. The storekeeper refused the offer, and sent them to Sydney. The tanner, however, was determined to have the hides, so followed and purchased them, and had them returned to Richmond at a lower price than that which he offered the storekeeper in his own. store.
I hope you will not think, because I belong to the " old school," that I don't believe in railways and things progressive. We would be in a sorry plight if we had none, and did not move—if only slowly—with the times. However, what we have lost in one way, we may have gained in others. One thing is certain—we have no need for apprentices, for boys and young men seem to "drop down " and carry on without tuition. It may be be- cause they are more intelligent than we were in days of yore. One thing, however, I can safely vouch for—it would be a difficult task to find one of them that could make a Wellington boot as they were made in those days. Ask Dan Mayne—who, by the way,, was a shoemaker of no mean repute if he thinks he could find one !
However, they were happy days, on the whole. We had to work long hours, but we had our holidays-they were Christmas Day and Good Friday;, and, if we behaved ourselves, we had New Year's Day—sometimes. There was no half-holiday on Saturday ;. that day was generally the busiest-it was cleaning-up day.

Source: Hawkesbury Herald 22 May 1903



Some Ups and Downs of an old Richmondite, Mr. Alfred Smith
Chronicled by Robert Farlow
[For the Gazette.]

Adjoining old Mr Roberts' place, at the back, was Wiltshirehurst. Here Mr Wiltshire lived for a while when I first went to the punt. Then George Case rented it. He farmed a little, and dealt largely in sheet stringy bark.
Coming along we had Peter Hornery living. He owned the place he lived on. He had been a bricklayer, but could not follow the trade on account of being a cripple for many years. William Maughan bought the land from Peter Hornery, except the little piece on which Hornery lived. Maughan lived there for some time while he was droving. Next was William John, father of Mrs Robert Pitt and Mrs John McQuade. Mrs John was a great butter maker. Next to Mr John's was Mr Kingswood. He owned the property. Richard Gow (father of the popular Frank, who was a large produce dealer in Richmond years ago) lived with the Kingswood's, was married to the only daughter. He grew a great quantity of maize. The Kingswoods and Gows left Kurrajong a good while before I left the punt, and went to live down on Griffiths' old farm. A man named Rich went to live in the place at Kurrajong. He was a shoemaker but didn't work at the trade in Kurrajong, though I remember him working at it in Richmond. He grew potatoes and vegetables and took them to Richmond and Windsor. Ad joining this property was Tom Jones' — "Kingswood's Tom " as he was generally known. He was father to Mrs Thomas Stanford and Mrs Thomas Brown. He grew a lot of fine oaten hay. Mrs Jones would never ride in a cart, and I often wondered why. One day I asked her, and she told me Mrs Stanford, mother of Mr Tom Stanford, and herself were driving home in a cart once and capsized in the rough road and Mrs Stanford was killed. The next farm belonged to the Gilligans. James Leavers, father of Harry, rented it, and lived there. He did some farming, and with his two horses and dray took his produce and wattle bark to town. Leavers met with an accident by his horse running into a tree which stood in the road opposite Thomas John's place. Leavers was well liked. Harry was born some three weeks after his father's death. Old Mrs Leavers left there after her husband's death, and went to Richmond to live.

Edward Mitchell, father of the present Robert in Kurrajong, lived on the Comleroy and owned the property he lived on He had six bullocks and a dray and drew a considerable quantity of wattle bark to town. Mrs Mitchell made a lot of butter. She was a sister to John Lord, who lived many years in Yarramundi. She was a great step-dancer, Mr Mitchell was coming home from Penrith one night, and told me he got a great fright coming down Crowley's lane. He declared he saw Andy Farrell's wife, who had been dead some time. He was perfectly sober, and whether it was imagination or a reality, he was quite upset over it. _ Close to Mitchell's, Denny McCabe lived. He married a daughter of Edward Mitchell. Denny McCabe was a king among bark. He was a jolly fellow and a great step-dancer. The last time I saw him was at Mr. A Towns station, near Boggabri, where he was fencing. It was Christmas time, and we spent a good time together. Some of his sons are still in the Kurrajong. Below Mitchell's property George Turner lived on some property belonging to Thomas John. He did a little farming and made grass-tree brooms. Then we had Mr Parker living on the Comleroy Road somewhere handy to the present Methodist Church. He did some farming, and with his one horse and cart took his maize and potatoes to town. There were some old hands scattered about the locality worthy of mention. John Williams—' Blackjack ' they used to call him— lived by himself, being a single man. He was a hard working man and took bark, etc., to town with his one horse and cart. George Turner was another great man among the bark. He
married Sarah, a daughter of Edward Mitchell.

Robert Eather, father of the late Abe Eather who lived many years in Richmond, lived on the Comleroy. He owned a station on the Narran. The four sons were Thomas, Robert, James and Abe. Mr and Mrs Robert Eather died at Comleroy. After their death Jim lived there for some time. Mr and Mrs John Norris lived close by the Eather's. Norris was killed on the property. Mr Coleman lived near the Norris family. He was a fencer, but did a little farming. Cornelius McMahon can be reckoned among the old hands. He married a daughter of John Norris. I knew them both before they thought of getting married. Then we had Bill London— ' Bill the native,' as they used to call him. Some of his children are still in the Kurrajong. Mr Murray was another old hand. Richard Skuthorp, father of our present Richard, was another I knew well. His wife was a daughter of John Ezzy. It was old Mr Skuthorp who first brought the racehorse Veno to the district, having purchased him from Mr William Clarke, who managed Bomera for years for Mr A. Town. Mr and Mrs Lamrock, parents of the late William and John, lived up Kurrajong, and I don't think they ever missed a fine Sunday going to the Presbyterian Church in Richmond. Having had a fair say about the old hands in Kurrajong we will now proceed to Colo. There wasn't a very great number of people living there in my early times, but among them were some who should not be forgotten. Colo has seen the time when it could boast of its police man. I knew two that were stationed at Colo. Curry was one. He used to visit George James. He was a tall man with sandy hair. He used to look very well in his black ' bell topper.' Jim Hunt was another policeman there. He was a short man and dark complexion. Mr and Mrs Cavanough kept a boarding-house down there for many years. The house was noted for its good table, and as it stood on the Kurrajong side of the river Mr Cavanough used to help the drovers with their sheep and cattle up "the rock." Cavanough did some farming, and grew a lot of maize. They both died at Colo, the old man dying first. I knew their sons Tom, George and Jim very well. Tom was on the railway for some years in Richmond and was very popular. The last time I saw Jim was at Jerry's Plains, many years ago.

William Penton, the blacksmith, who is still alive, living at North Richmond, lived for many years in Colo and I believe his family are natives of there. He lived up under the mountain on the other side of the river. He worked at his trade and did good business. There were plenty of drover's horses to be shod. He became a road contractor and carried out some big jobs on the Bulga road. His wife, was Miss Lucy Lord, but in no way related to John Lord, of Yarra mundi, There were a lot of the Gospers at Colo. Mrs Cavanough and Mrs Ivery were Gospers. I knew Robert Gosper. The late John Gosper, of Windsor, was, I believe, a native of Colo, also Henry. He kept an accommodation house at "The Gibber," It was a good place to stay at. Harry Gosper was a real friend of the drovers. If ever they lost a beast and it was to be found, Harry would get it for them. I have often heard him spoken of hundreds of miles up country, and always referred to as honest Harry Gosper. Of course there were others living up the river, but as I never went far off the road I didn't see much of them. Among them I knew Mr Caterson. I knew his son, the present Thomas, and his wife, who was Miss Grace Richardson, before they were married. Getting along from "The Gibber ' we soon get to Putty. Among the good old sorts out there were Mr Robert Ridge and his wife, He grew a lot of maize, and did droving. Mrs Ridge was post mistress, and kept an accommodation house. You could also get rations there. Mr Ridge had a mill and ground his own flour. Mrs Ridge was a sister to Mrs George Pitt and Mrs. John Crowley. Then we had Thomas Laycock and his wife. Mrs Laycock was a sister to George and Robert Pitt. I knew their sons Thomas, Andrew, Henry, George and Robert. They were always great cattle men. Andrew for many years before his death was a noted breeder of stud cattle, and was always a prominent exhibitor at the Sydney show. The eldest boy was a great pig raiser and used to drive his flocks of swine to market. Bob was killed from his horse. Thomas Laycock did a lot of droving, and bought stock for Sydney men. He was a horse fancier as well, and owned some well bred mares. At Bourawell we had Charles Sympton managing the place belonging to Mr William Farlow, senr., of Yarramundi, and also looking after Boggy swamp for the same man. I remember Mr Farlow giving me £40 to pay Davy Hayman who was fencing out there for him. Charley was there a good while. Mr Farlow did some cultivation out there. Mr and Mrs Chapman lived at Putty on a place they bought from old Stephen Tuckerman, Their son George is still out there and seems to be doing well.

Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 17 Sep 1910