Australian English Genealogy

Descendants of Thomas Eather

Notes (Page 2)

Joseph Onus

Arrived as a convict on the Glatton.  Variations of surname: Honess, Oness


Joseph Onus, for a common assault upon one John Dulhunty, at Richmond, on the 30th of April last.—Guilty. Fined £1, and to pay costs of prosecution. Joseph Onus, for a common assault upon Charles Robinson, at Richmond, on the 30th of April last.—The defendant pleaded guilty. Fined £1, and to pay costs of prosecution.

Source: The Sydney Gazette and NSW Advertiser 20 Aug 1829


TUESDAY, JULY 16.—Before Robert Fitzgerald, and L. D. Whittaker, Esquires;

Mr. Joseph Onus, of Richmond, was charged with violently beating Thomas Watts, his apprentice, a boy about thirteen years of age. The boy, it seems, was wickedly inclined, and amongst other bad propensities, that of pilfering formed a prominent one ; and it was in consequence of exercising his predatory abilities that he obtained the beating complained of. The Bench were of opinion that Mr. Onus was perfectly justified in beating the boy ; but as it appeared unnecessary violence had been used, they fined him in the sum of twenty shillings and costs. After the disposal of this case, a dispute arose outside the Court House, between Mr. Onus and the father of the boy, as to whether he was to return to his service; and as the father forcibly detained him, Mr. Onus applied to the Bench, by whom he was told that he must make his complaint in the regular manner, and they would grant a summons.

Source: Hawkesbury Courier and Agricultural and General Advertiser 25 Jul 1844

4. Charlotte Eather

Charlotte inherited Robert's estate and business.

Robert Williams

Robert inherited his fathers property - 60acres at Castlereagh and when he died he was in charge of double this amount.

30. Mary Ann Williams

Mary Ann was the child of Charlotte Joseph Windsor. Joseph died at Agnes Banks in 1862.


31. Robert Eather Williams

Robert Williams, against whom on indictment had been filled for the murder of William Freeman, at Agnes Bank, on February 22, was brought to the bar to be examined as to his sanity or otherwise. Drs. O'Connor and Markey were called, and gave evidence to the effect that they had examined the prisoner, and found him to be insane. A jury, empanelled for the occasion, decided that be was insane, and he was ordered to be confined during his Excellency's pleasure.

Source: The Maitland Mercury and Hunter River General Advertiser 14 May 1881

William Jones Maloney

Separated from Charlotte in 1850

40. Mary Ann Windsor

Known as Mary Ann Williams

5. Thomas Eather

Owner of the 'Union Inn', Windsor St, Richmond.
Thomas' son-in-law, Edwin Young, was publican from 1856 - 1860 and 1866-1871.
Ann's cousin, Elizabeth Griffiths, took over management in 1871 and changed the name to the Woolpack Inn.
After her death in 1874, Thomas took as publican and changed the name to the Post Office Hotel. In 1875 his son in law became publican again.,

51. Susannah Eather

Susannah Eather, a beautiful and interesting  little girl, about 7 years of age, the daughter of Mr. Thomas Eather, farmer, of Richmond, and sister to Mrs. Onus of the same place, who met her early death under the following circumstances :-It appeared from the evidence adduced on the inquest that the deceased and some other children of her own age were playing in a grass paddock adjoining the residence of her parents on the previous day. That they had also collected and set fire to some dry rubbish, over which they were amusing themselves by leaping ; that while in the act of jumping over, the clothing of deceased, which was of a very light texture, became ignited, upon which the other children took fright. A person named Ward passing at the time, seeing the child in a perfect blaze, ran to her-assistance, and immediately extinguished the flames, but the poor little sufferer had become so severely burnt that, although every effort that medical skill could devise was immediately resorted to by Dr.Whitaker, who was in attendance in a few minutes after the occurrence, she expired at 4 o'clock the same evening.

Source: Bell's Life in Sydney and Sporting Reviewer 26 Aug 1848.

6. Charles Eather

1853 - Licensee of the Woolpack Inn in Richmond


Charles Eather.
(Narrabri Herald, Nov 4)
On Monday evening last, about 6 p.m., after a long and painful illness, there passed over to the great majority one of the pioneers of the Namoi, a man who for upwards of forty years had made the north-west his home, and seen many changes and vicissitudes. One who at one time was owner of vast tracts of country with every promise of an old age passed in ease and affluence, and one who had endeared himself to all who had the privilege of his acquaintance-better still, of his friendship. Such an one was Charles Eather, who passed quietly away at the age of 64 years, on Monday evening. Tended to the last by loving and kind friends, his slightest wish was anticipated ; and sur rounded by his relatives and a host of friends, he " passed to the bourne whence there is no returning." Many a good and earnest man may yet make a name for himself on the Namoi, but out of the limits of the present generation the memory of the true sterling friend who has just left us will never depart.  The funeral, which left the deceased's late residence at 4 p.m. yesterday afternoon, was the most largely attended yet seen in Narrabri, the cortege measuring fully a third of a mile in length, and was composed of all the principal people of the town and district. The pall-bearers, all old and tried friends of the deceased, were Messrs. J. Moseley, J. M McDonald, W. H. Gordon, James Ward, sen., R. Spencer, and E. Poole. The coffin, which was of beautifully polished cedar, was almost covered with flowers. The whole of the business places in town were closed during the progress of the procession through the streets, and at the grave the burial service was very impressively read by the Rev W. J. Walker.

Source: The Maitland Mercury and Hunter River General Advertiser 7 Nov 1891

Ann Cain

Came free on the Earl Spencer

John Norris

In 1833 John was charged and convicted of having stolen meat in his possession. He was sentenced to transportation to Tasmania for 7years He arrived in Tasmania in October 1833. Rachel and the children following him and arrived in November 1833.The family returned to Cornwallis in 1840.


John was crushed to death when he fell from his cart, which rolled over him.