Australian English Genealogy

Descendants of Thomas Eather

Notes (Page 6)

William Henry Taylor (aka Allen)

William changed his surname to Allen

55. Charles Eather

Died of arsenic poisoning at Ravensbourne Station. (Arsenic had been accidently mixed with the flour)

56. Thomas Eather

INQUEST ON SIX BODIES OF THE EATHERS, LOST IN THE FLOOD -A coroner's inquiry was held yesterday (Wednesday) at the Commercial Hotel, before Mr. Laban White and a jury, on the bodies of Catherine Eather, Mary Ann Eather, Catherine Eather the younger, Charles Eather, Emma Eather, and Annie Eather, the wives and children of William and Thomas Eather, of Cornwallis, whose mournful fate will scarcely ever be forgotten in this district. Thomas Eather having been duly sworn, deposed : I am a farmer, and resided in the Cornwallis, my family consisted of my wife Emma, aged thirtysix years, and four girls and two boys, of the several ages of sixteen, fourteen, twelve, ten, eight, and three years. The last time I saw six of them alive (the eldest son of Thomas Eather, the deponent, was fortunately from home, and not in the flood) was on Friday night, yesterday my oldest daughter Annie was brought into Windsor, the body having been seen floating near the place where she was drowned ; to-day the body of my wife Emma, was found. On Friday afternoon the waters had risen, and continued to rise, very rapidly ; we were all obliged to fly to the ridge pole of the house, hoping to be rescued by some boat ; we remained some hours in awful suspense till the violence of the wind and waves swept the building and the whole of us into the water. I came up to the surface, and found myself in the branches of a cedar tree ; I looked round after my wife and children but could see none of them ; in about an hour after I was rescued by three men in a boat ; I told them what had happened , they landed me at Mr. Arthur Dight's, Clarendon , there must have been twenty feet of water where my family were drowned. William Eather being duly sworn deposed : I am a farmer, and resided at Cornwallis ; my family consisted of my wife, Catherine Eather, aged 37, and my children Mary Anne Catherine, Charles, Clara, and William, of the respective ages of 11, 9, 6 3, and 1 years ; on last Friday night I saw them alive ; they were then on the top of a house of my brother George Eather, having gone there for safety ; I was with them ; we were about 200 yards from my brother Thomas's ; we had been there from Thursday night ; on Friday night I was about taking by oldest boy into my arms, when I was washed away by the waves ; I saw a tree close by me after I came to the surface, and managed to make for it. I heard the screams of my wife and children but could not see them ; I fastened myself to the tree, and in a short time was rescued by a boat specially sent by Mr Arthur Dight ; I believe my wife and three of my children have been brought to Windsor dead. Philip Maguire deposed : I am a farmer, and live at Nelson, and a brother in-law of Mrs. William Eather ; I went with Charles Eather, Thomas Eather, and Charles Westall, in search of bodies ; yesterday (Tuesday), about two o'clock in the afternoon, we found Thomas Eather's eldest daughter Annie, floating about forty yards from where the family had been carried away;, this morning we recovered four more bodies ; the dead bodies of which the coroner and jury have had a view I recognise as the remains of Catherine Eather, wife of William Eather. and Mary Ann, Catherine, and Charles, the children of William Eather, also Emma, the wife of Thomas Eather and Annie, his eldest daughter. The jury returned a verdict of accidental drowning. Boats have been out all day searching for the other bodies, but have returned unsuccessful.

Source: The SMH 1 Jul 1867


Bowlin v. Eather.

In the Supreme Court, on Friday, before: the Chief Justice, and a jury of four Mr, Gibson and Mr. Ralston, instructed by Mr J. J. Paine, Windsor, were for the plaintiff, and Mr. Gannon ap- pealed for the defendant. This was an action brought by John Edward Bowlin of Windsor, against Thomas and Caroline Eather, man and wife, to recover £1ooo damages for alleged slander. The accusation complained of was a statement by the female defendant that the reason a domestic servant had left plaintiff's employ was that his wife had found them guilty of improper conduct. Evidence was called by plaintiff to show that the accusation was utterly groundless, Plaintiff had offered to withdraw the proceedings if the defendant would make ample apology, but-she had declined to do s0. The female defendant was in court, but she was not called to deny the testimony given for the plaintiff, and no witnesses were examined on her behalf. Mr. Gibson said that his client had brought the action, not for the purpose of securing heavy damages, but merely to clear his character of the imputation which had been cast upon it. It was sought to be shown that the female defendant, had heard the rumor from the plaintiff's father. This gentleman was put into the box and denied the statement - absolutely. His Honor, in the course of his summing up, said that it was to be regretted that, any counsel should have made himself the medium of having put forth such instructions as those which the latter part of the case had disclosed. The learned counsel, Mr. Gannon, was instructed to make these imputations against the old man, who had simply come forward to say that he had never made use of this language in regard to his son. Yet he was immediately attacked in the box to know whether he had made improper proposals to the female defendant. Instructions such as those ought not to have been given and they ought not to have been accepted by any barrister. A verdict of £50, with costs was returned.

Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 21 Jun 1890

The Bowlin-Eather Case.

The incarceration of Mr. and Mrs. Eather still continues, both being lodged in Windsor Gaol. Under the heading of " The Miseries of the Poor," last Sunday's "Truth" referred to the case and quoted the following report submitted by the officer sent up to investigate the condition of the children of the imprisoned couple :
Department Charitable Institutions, State Children's Relief Branch, Begg-street, Paddington, July 31,1890. Sir, —I have the honor to respectfully report for your information, that yesterday, as instructed, I visited Windsor, and made inquiries into the circumstances of the children Eather. The family consists of seven, as under: Thomas Eather aged 20, earning 10s per week; Arthur Eather, aged 18, of weak intellect, who does odd jobs about, and who I arranged will stop at Mrs. Norris,' George-street, Newtown, and would respectfully recommend that he be taken under the care of the State as unofficial on account of being of weak intellect ; George Eather, aged 17, who had been working at Mr. W. F. Linsley's, saddler, who will now take the boy as an indoor apprentice; Willie Eather, aged 11½, and whom Mr. Stephen Gow is willing to take as a boarder; Harry Eather, aged 10, whom Mr. Stephen Gow, sen., will take care of as a boarder; and Leslie and Alice, aged 7 and 5 years, will be taken care of by the uncle, Charles Eather, who is willing to keep them, but is not in a position to do so without payment, being in poor circumstances himself. So far, the children have been living in their own home, but to-day I am informed it is to be broken up, the house and furniture being mortgaged far beyond its present value. The children, so far, have been supplied with food by Mr. Gow. I may say that the Rev. D'Arcy-Irvine and Mr. Gow, who have been seeing to the wants of these children since their parents' removal to gaol, consider the arrangements made as satisfactory. JOSEPH WING, Inspector. George Maxted, Esq., Director Government Asylum.

Source: Windsor and Rgchmond Gazette 16 Aug 1890

The Eather Case.
A correspondent writes requesting us to initiate a subscription for the benefit of Mr. Thomas Eather, who, with his family, is reported to be quite destitute. We will, therefore, be very glad to receive and acknowledge through the GAZETTE, any sums sent along to us. The correspondent above alluded to has promised 20/-, and we will be pleased to see this sum added to. So far the amounts promised are :
W.M. .. .. .. £1 o o
Friend .. .. .. 5 0

Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 15 Aug 1891

The Eather Case.

Thus last Saturday's BULLETIN: Mr. and Mrs. Eather, of Windsor (N. S.W.), have just got out of gaol. Twelve months ago someone brought a slander action against Mrs. Eather, in which her husband was "joined." A verdict was given for the plaintiff, and the unfortunate pair, being moneyless, had, under iniquitous N. S. W. Defamation Act, to go to gaol, where they have since languished apart from their young children, who have been the recipients of charity. Imprisonment for debt has therefore not been abolished in N.S.W. And allowing, for the sake of argument, that Mrs. Eather deserved 12 months' gaol for her slander, it is not altogether against the general tendency of the marriage laws that her husband should be made responsible for her act ? How would this kind of thing be regarded in any semi-civilised country -say in England ?
Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 22Aug 1891

Emma Mary Staples

There was a major flood near Windsor in 1867, in which Emma and five of her children perished. (see above)

57. William Eather

A Fatal Accident.
A SHOCKING fatality occurred at the Rockdale railway station shortly after 4 o'clock on Friday afternoon, an elderly man named William Eather being knocked down and killed. Eather was a gardener, and had been residing in Weston-street, Petersham. He had gone to Rockdale to see a married daughter a Mrs Searson. From what can be gathered, he left his daughter's house about 4 o'clock, with the intention of proceeding to Sydney by the train. He endeavoured to walk across the railway line, not noticing that there was a train approaching almost within a few yards of him, and the next moment he was knocked down, and the train ran over him. The body was removed to the South Sydney Morgue by Constable Shields, Deceased was about 63 years of age and a native of Richmond, He was a brother to Mr Tom Eather, of Windsor, and George, of Richmond, and was one of the family of that name who was rescued from the great Hawkesbury flood of 1867,

Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 16 Sep 1899

Catherine McMahon

Arrived with her parents in 1839 on the Charles Kerr

Catherine and two of her children, died in 1867 in the great Hawkesbury Floods.

Mrs. Bridget Maguire, widow of the late Philip Maguire, passed away at her home 'Lonsdale Cottage,' Church-street, Windsor, at 6.30 a.m. on Friday last, ripe in years, fragrant of memory, and beloved of ail who knew her. A more devout and thoroughly earnest Christian woman it would not be possible to find. Her character was embalmed with all the rich attributes of a singularly pure and pious life, and her memory, and the manner of her passing away, is as sweet incense to those who were bound to her by the silken bonds of mutual love and affection. Her end was what her life had ever been— peace, perfect peace. Death was no grim tyrant to her — death has no terrors for those who live the faultless life of the late Mrs. Maguire — and there was, no 'moaning at the bar' when she 'put out - to sea.'' In the- full possession of all her faculties, her mind neither troubled nor im paired, death came just as she prayed that it might, and as her. loved one hoped it would— calmly, peacefully, and without the slightest suffering — and found her quite ready. In death she was as beautiful as her character had been in life. , Born in County Limerick, Ireland, in the year 1838, the late Mrs. Maguire was in her 82nd year, and was the second youngest child of the late John and Mary McMahon.. When she was six months old her parents left Ireland for Australia, bringing with them a family of six. One died on the voyage, a child of six years. The family were: Mary (now dead, and who remained single), Cornelius, who died at Tennyson some years ago; Michael, also deceased, who lived at 'Garryowen,' Comleroy, where his widow still resides; Catherine (Mrs. William, Eather) whose tragic death will be remembered by old Hawkesburyites. With her seven children she was drowned at North Richmond in the memorable flood of '67; and the subject of this notice. After a few months in Sydney, this family, fresh from,' the Emerald Isle, settled at Kurrajong, then a vast virgin forest. They lived on the property known as 'Luckenough,' which has been owned and occupied for some years by Councillor James E. McMahon, a grandson of those early pioneers. It was there that they died. There also an other son was born to them, and he, besides having the distinction of being' the only Australian-born member of the family, is now the only one surviving. This is Mr. Thomas McMahon, of 'Dural View,'' Comleroy-road, a much esteemed . resident, of the Kurrajong district all his life. These early- day emigrants, John and Mary Mc Mahon, were pioneers of the Kurrajong, and their children, and their children's children, even to the third generation, have done perhaps more than any other family in the development of the rural industries of the fertile Kurrajong. In the year 1861, the subject of this no tice married the late Philip Maguire. The marriage was celebrated by the Rev. Dean Hallinan, at St. Matthew's R.C. Church,, Windsor, and the young couple made their home at Nelson, where they reared a large family. They lived there till within a short time of Mr. Maguire's death, which took place in 1904, when they came to Windsor, where Mrs. Maguire con tinued to reside up to the time of her death. The family of the late Mrs. Maguire were: — Thomas (who died in 1895); Mary (Mrs. J. W- Ouvrier, of Stan more) ; Mother Mary Marcellus, of St. Magdalen's Retreat, Arncliffe; Catherine (Mrs. Frank Campbell, of Windsor) ; Michael (Nelson) ; Rev. Father Cassimir, C.P., of the Passionist Order, Marrickville ; Sidney (Windsor) ; Sister Mary Andrew, of the Good Samaritan Order, Northcote, Victoria; and Austin (Bathurst). The grand children (one of whom is Sister Mary 'Cassimir, of the Good Samaritan Order, Wollongong), number about 25, and there are several great grandchildren. The funeral took place on Saturday after noon. For the past 15 years she had lived 'neath the shadow of the church she loved so well, and her mortal remains were taken across the street to the sacred edifice on Friday night, and reposed there till con signed to mother earth. A service was conducted in the church by the deceased's son, Rev. Father Cassimir, C.P., and then the remains were taken to their last resting place, beside those of her husband and her eldest son, in the R.C. cemetery. As the remains were borne from the church by the three sons and a grandson, the Dead March in 'Saul' was played by a grandson, Mr. Percy Campbell. Rev. Father Cassimir con ducted the burial service, and was assisted by Rev. Father McDonnell, parish priest of Windsor, and Rev. Father Stevens, parish priest of Richmond. The funeral arrangements were carried out by Mr. P. J. Chandler. At St. Matthew's R.C. Church on Sunday morning, Rev. Father McDonnell paid an' eloquent tribute to the life of the late Mrs. Maguire. He referred to her beautiful Christian life, and her strong faith, and' said her life was a beacon light to guide others, and an example for all to follow. By the death, early on Sunday morning last, of Wilmot Parker, aged 94 years, the Hawkesbury district lost a well-known iden tity. Deceased was born at Piccadilly, Lon don, in 1825, and came to Australia 62 years ago. He was the only son of the late' Wilmot and Juliat Parker, and his father prac tised in England as a barrister. He was married in Sydney to Emily Mary Phelan, the issue being three sons, two of whom pre- deceased their parents. One son, Wil mot, is still living. The late Mr. Parker lived at Berkshire Park for many years, but died at Windsor Hospital, where he had been a patient for some time. The funeral took place on Tuesday, the remains being interred in St. Matthew's Church of England1 cemetery, Windsor. Rev. N. Jenkyn officiated at the graveside, and Mr. Chandler was the undertaker. '

Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 13 Feb 1920


Some Ups and Downs of an old Richmondite, Mr Alfred Smith. Chronicled by Robert Farlow. [For the Gazette.]
Mr Joseph Douglas (grandfather of William), lived on the Heights and kept an accommodation house. Many of the Sydney aristocrats came up and spent their holidays at the old man's place. I remember them coming up to stay before trains ran in the colony. Richard Ridge many a time brought them as far as the river while I was there. Mr Douglas used to meet them there with a one horse conveyance and take them up to his house. I remember one in particular coming up for the good of his health, a Lieut. Lethbridge. The change in that man's appearance after he had been up there about a month was something wonderful. Mr Douglas kept a good house, and it was always looked upon as a grand place to stop at. I remember a lawyer named Want driving two splendid horses up to the Heights in his own carriage from Sydney and staying at Mr Douglas' house, He told me they were the pair of horses which ran away and killed Lady Mary Fitzroy at Parramatta. Mr Douglas' house sheltered another distinguished personage, Sir John Young. He stayed a night at Douglas', and next day he and his officials rode out on horse back as far as Mount Tomah for a look round the mountains. Old Mr Douglas' daughter, Sarah, married Cuthbert Cowling. Cowling owned the property where Arthur Powell lives. He kept a boarding house there, and it was a fine, place to stay at. He had many other city aristocrats staying with him on different occasions. Among Mr Douglas' boys I knew John (William's father) who was droving for many years. He drove for Mr Cope for a long time. John married a Miss Keenan, from the Mudgee district, and kept a boarding house where his father kept it. His wife was a great business woman and managed the boarding house while he would be away on the roads. When John started the boarding house he made large additions to his father's old home, and he was well repaid. He sold the property to Mr George Bowman, and it was up there the medical Doctor Cameron died. The last time I saw John Douglas was at Riverstone, where he was staying with his daughter, Mrs Charles Kenny, and where he died. Many a time I have been travelling on the roads in the company of John Douglas in my droving days. There was another boy named Joe, but I didn't know much about him. Then there was Mrs Sherwood, "Granny" Sherwood as she was often called, who lived up there. I knew her very well. It was nothing unusual for her to walk from the Heights to Richmond. From Richmond she generally went to Mrs Faithful's and stayed the night. Mrs Faithful thought a lot of the old lady. I knew Mrs Sherwood's two sons, Tom and Jim, both good sawyers, and I often punted their loads of timber. Jim married a Miss Gosper, of Colo. He has been dead many years, and the widow married a man named Brown and is still alive. Tom married and went to Mount Tomah and kept a boarding house for many years out there. He had two sons, and he and the boys used to meet the drovers and help them over Bell's Line. This was convenient for drovers, and Tom and the boys made good money at it. A pound a day was the charge. Jim died up on the Heights, and I have seen his grave in the garden close to the house. Mick Hennessy, an old Irishman, lived on the Heights and owned a lot of land about there. He had some sons, and I remember one of them used to drive a bullock team, and among them they did sawing. Then there is "Northfield,' which the late Mr Comrie owned, and where he lived for so many years. I put him over the river when he went up to have a look at the property with the view of buying. I put him and his wife and her brother, Mr Jennings, over many times afterwards. Mr Comrie was a good fare, for no matter what silver coin he happened to pull out it was always ' keep the change.' Any reference to Kurrajong would not be complete without a mention of the Wilson family, truly a large one. A great many of the younger generations I am not so well acquainted with. I knew the old Mr Wilson and his wife very well, and many a time I have put them over in the punt, Mrs Wilson was a sister to Mrs Barwick. Among the old couple's family I remember the boys Simmie, Ned, Job, Tim, Jack, and Tom, the youngest. They were great men with the pit saw, though I don't think Simmie did as much as the others. The Christian names of the girls I didn't know, but I remember one was married to George Davis, another to Joe Hawkins and a third to Dan Neil. Simmie married Betsy Horan, who was a daughter of John Horan, at one time lockup keeper at Windsor — in the early days of course — and afterwards kept a pub, the Donnybrook, Wheeney Creek. Old Donnybrook then belonged to 'Grandfather' Town, who died in Richmond. I knew Simmie's wife before she was married. Ned married a Miss Riley, and I knew her father and mother. Tim married a sister of Ned's wife, and I knew her also before she was married. Jack married a Miss Barwick, who I knew very well. I put Jack and his wife over the river when they were going away to get married. Tom married a daughter of Mr James Douglas (another son I had forgotten of Mr Joseph Douglas'). I knew her also before she married. Close to old Mr Wilson's place lived George Davis, who was a great sawyer, and I have put a deal of his sawn timber over the river. Close to George Davis, his brother John lived for some time. He farmed a little and grew a lot of potatoes. He also took wattle bark occasionally to Richmond. When he left Kurrajong he went to live on Griffiths' old farm (now Mr John Cupitt's) and farmed. While there he had a son drowned in the river. Close to the Davis brothers Mr John Barwick lived, and on his pro perty grew a great lot of potatoes. He had an old grey horse and old-fashioned cart with which he took his potatoes to town. I used to put him and his loads over the river. He died at Kurrajong many years ago.

Close to Barwick's old Mr Moston lived and he too was a great potato grower. He died over there. His two girls married Mr M. Riley and Mr Charles Pittman. His son John married Susan Dean, a niece of my wife. Both this couple are dead. Jim, another son, had a bullock team and carted sawn timber, a few sheets of stringy bark occasionally, and potatoes. He married a daughter of Thomas Case, of the ' Donnybrook.' I put Jim and his intended wife over the river the day they were married at the Richmond Church of England, The Rev. Mr Elder married them. The last time I saw them they had a selection at Apple Tree Flat, ten miles this side of Mudgee. John Lane was a sawyer, and lived near the Mostons. His wife was a hard working woman, and I have often put her over the river very early in the morning with a load of potatoes for Wind sor. Jack could sing well and sang at my wedding. He told me that when he was a lad he used to sing in the choir at Parramatta in Parson Marsden's time. He went to the diggings, and his wife died on the Turon. He came back while I was droving, and had a hut at Norwood, and was sawing as I came through with, sheep. He was great company, and after I gave up droving he stayed a few days with us. Another man lived close to these people, called Josh Bushell. He did a little farming and sawing. When the diggings broke out he started carrying with his bullock team. Alfred Brown was another old man about there and a carpenter by trade. It was he who built the house where Mr John Pitt lives, for old Mr John Town. He built another large, place with stables and kitchen three miles this side of Mount Tomah for Thomas Sherwood, I put him over the river occasionally. I knew his son Ned, who lived on the Heights for a long while. While living there he used to meet cattle drovers and help them over Bell's Line. One of Mr Brown's daughters married Sam Dean, of Orange, a nephew of my wife. Another married William Irvine, a wheelwright, and a third married a Mr Hand. John Pittman, Charley's father, lived near Brown's. He lived for years with the Mr Cox, of Clarendon. He owned a lot of land up there and years ago had some cattle. I knew his sons Henry, John, George, and Charles. The latter is still among us. He had two daughters. Hannah died many years ago. Mary married William Peck, and she, too, has been dead a long while. On many a Sunday I put the late Rev. Elder over the river as he went up to the old church at the foot of the Big Hill to preach. This side of the old Anglican church Mr McMahon lived for a long time. He was father of the late Michael and Cornelius, and Mr Thomas McMahon, who is still hale and hearty and much respected at Comleroy. There were three girls. One had the sad misfortune to be burned to death. One married William Eather who was drowned with her five children in the 1867 flood. Another married the late Mr Philip Maguire and lived many years out Pitt Town way. She is still living and resides in Windsor. There was an old man we knew as Bell the gardener who lived about there and had a farm of his own. He had an old horse and cart and took his fruit to Windsor. Paddy Riley lived adjoining Bell the gardener. His son Mick had eight bullocks in his team with which he used to bring sawn timber to Richmond. Mrs Riley made a deal of butter and took it in to Richmond. I only knew their son Mick, and the daughter, Mrs Michael McMahon.

Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 20 Aug 2010

59. George Eather

Death of Mr George Eather
Mr George Eather, of Lennox street, Richmond, aged 77, passed away last Thursday week. Deceased was one of the good old Hawkesburyites whom everyone respected. He leaves a widow (also in the seventies) and a surviving family of eight out of 18 as follow:-Mrs Carr, South Africa; Mrs Chas Baldwin, Durham Court, Manilla; Mrs A McNiven, Sydney; Mrs R Fay, Eskbank; Miss Maggie Eather, Richmond; Mr Walter Eather, Sydney; Mr James Eather, Sydney; and Mr Ambrose Eather, Brewarrina. The latter, who had not seen his father for eleven years, came home and spent the last five weeks with him. The remains were laid to rest on the Saturday following in the new Roman Catholic cemetery,, the Rev Father O'Brien officiating. The. funeral was largely attended, some very old  and esteemed friends being in the procession. For 26 years the late George Eather occupied the farm where Mr W Day now resides. He vacated it about ten years ago. He led a quiet life. An outstanding feature in his long career, however, was  his awful experience, in the historic flood of '67.
Most of our readers have heard or read something of the drowning of the Eathers. It was in June of the year mentioned.' Mrs Eather showed us yesterday an old painting depicting the flooded families desperately clinging to' the roof of the house down on. the flats of Corn Wallis. The waters crept up until only three rows of shingles were out. Then; the roof collapsed, and twelve were drowned. " It was a new slab house, just built for us," Mrs Eather explained; and when .the waters began to rise, we regarded it as the best shelter. . My brother-in-iaw, Johnny Madden, came down on the Wednesday. He. had a lot of pigs in another paddock on the river bank, and tried to get them away. Some men were also about, attending to odd things on the farms, After taking the cattle up; but the water overflowed the flats, and they  were cut off. George Cupitt was taking them back in a boat, and Johnny said to me, ' You had better go up in the boat to your sister's, and  take the four children.' At first I refused, saying I would have to bake some bread and get everything on to the; loft before morning. However, he prevailed upon me to go. My husband stayed. When we were; getting into the boat, Tom and Bill Eather came over, with their families, to take refuge. In our place. Mrs Bill Eather said, ' You won't forget us if the Water comes over the 'ridge ?' I wanted her to come too, but she would not. , I also urged Mrs Tom to come, but no... She said she would if there was an empty house up in Clarendon to go to. We were pulled away at 4 in the afternoon. .That night the flood rose fast. In the morning my sister (Mrs Smith) and I came into Richmond, and tried  in vain to get a boat sent over. - All day long we walked backwards and forwards in great anxiety. At night we went back to Clarendon. About 7 o'clock I saw a signal light away over the Water, in the direction of our place, and I said, ' It is still them on the roof," We put rags and paper on the end of a fishing rod, lit them, and answered the signal.' Then I heard their cries. I rushed down to a man with a boat, and told him, 'A dozen men were standing round, but none offered to go.  It was dark and raining. Dight's coachman, Riley, came along; and when we told him of our trouble he went to Mr Dight, who sent him galloping away with a note to Tiemey to press the public boat when it came to shore; and offer the crew £50 to go back and get the boat and save those at Eather's. The boat was got about 10 o'clock, and three men offered to go out. To help them to steer across a fire was lit  at Mr Dight's. They reached the place just about half an hour too late;. Though, the house, of slabs, was built, strong, to withstand the floods, the roof had. not been strapped, and it collapsed.  Mrs Tom Eather and five of her children and Mrs  Bill . Eather and .her five were drowned. Madden and. the brothers Tom, Bill and George; Eather swain to a tree near by, from which the boat rescued them. Bill was strapped to the tree, "in a state of collapse, and it was with difficulty he was afterwards, resuscitated.. Tom's eldest son, Charlie, was with Bill Bailey on the next farm, hanging on to a big willow tree; and: they were rescued: by the same boat.  It was a long pull to where the  fire was kept going - as a guide. Very quietly they came, for they thought  Bill was dying in the boat.  I could hardly realise it - when I saw my husband and the other survivors; but the drowning of the two wives and their ten children was a terrible blow." 'It might be, added that Mr Tom Eather, sen., one of the survivors mentioned,  now over 80 years old, was in Richmond a few days before the death of' poor old George.-"Hawkesbury Herald." .

Source: Nepean Times 25 May 1912

404. Walter Leslie Eather

At the time of his marriage, Walter was employed by the Riverstone Meat Co., as a carter.

405. James William Eather

Divorced 1904

In the suit of Sarah Helen Eather, against James William Bather, relief was sought on the ground of constructive desertion. The parties were married at Sydney in August, 1893, according to the rites of the Roman Catholic Church. They frequently quarrelled, and once he told her he didn't want her, that he de sired a younger woman. On one occasion he cut her lip, and on another he blackened ter eyes. Besides this, he threatened to cut her throat, and also to shoot her. She left him several times, the last occasion being in March, 1897. His Honour granted a decree nisi, making it return able in three months.

Source: Evening News 7 Nov 1902

Born In the year of the "great flood" of 1867, Mr. James William Bather, of Factory Road, Regentville, died in Nepean District Hospital on Friday, 18th ult., at the age of 81 years. He suffered a stroke on the previous Saturday and was admitted to the Hospital. Several Hawkesbury relatives of Mr. Eather were drowned in that Food, which brought devastation in Nepean and Hawkesbury districts. When about 20 years of age Mr. Eather left the Hawkesbury district and went to Sydney. He served in the South African war of 1899-1902, and was one of the first Australians to enlist in World War I. He took part in the first Australian operations, which were at Rabaul in 1914. Afterward he served in France. Mr. Eather conducted a business in Oxford Street, Paddington, for some 20 years and came to Regentville about ten years ago. He is survived by his wife. Private cremation took place at Rookwood on 21st inst.

Source: Nepean Times 7 Apr 1949

Cornelius McMahon

Arrived in 1838

John Michael Colbran