Australian English Genealogy

Descendants of Thomas Eather

Notes (Page 8)


George Matcham Pitt

LATE MR. G. M. PITT.

The funeral of Mr. George Matcham Pitt, who resided at Sunnyside, North Richmond, on Tuesday, at the age of 74, took place at Richmond on Wednesday afternoon. The funeral, which was largely attended, left tho deceased's residence shortly after 3 o'clock, and prior to the burial rites being read, a short service was conducted in the church adjoining the cemetery, the Rev. J. Boardman, Church of England clergyman at Richmond, officiating. The chief mourners wore the five living sons of deceased and Mr. R. M. Pitt (Pitt, Son, and Badgery, Ltd.), brother. Mr. George Matcham Pitt was tho oldest son of the late Mr. George Matcham Pitt, founder of the firm of Pitt, Son, and Badgery, Ltd., Sydney. About the year 1801, Mrs. Mary Pitt (the great-grandmother of deceased), with her family, four daughters and one son, emigrated from England. Mrs. Mary Pitt, whoso maiden name was Mary Matcham, was a first cousin of Mr. George Matcham, who married Catherine, daughter of the Rev. Robert Nelson and sister of the Illustrious Admiral, Lord Viscount Nelson. The Matchams now hold the Nelson titles.
Mr. Pitt was by profession a licensed surveyor, having served his articles with the late Mr.Chas Whittaker. He passed his examination at an early age about 1859, and continued the practice of his profession for 50 years. He was a justice of the peace and a licensing magistrate- for the district for many years. He took a lively interest in politics, but, although often requisitioned, never allowed himself to be nominated as a candidate for Parliament. The deceased was the managing director of the Richmond Bridge Company until the old bridge was purchased by the Government. He was an enthusiastic rifle shot, and erected his own butts on his private property,' where he entertained old volunteer regiments.
The late Mr. George Matcham Pitt married Elizabeth, the only daughter of the late Mr. John Gordon Town, who predeceased him three and a half years. He had a family of 10 children, and seven survived him- five sons and two daughters. His sons are Mr. John Matcham Pitt, of Sunnyside; Mr. George Matcham Pitt, architect, Sydney; Mr. Clarence Matcham Pitt, surveyor. Sunnyside; Mr. Septimus Matcham Pitt, A.B.C. Bank, Richmond; and Mr. Llewellyn Matcham Pitt, accountant, Singer Sewing Machine Company. Sydney. His daughters are Mrs. Elizabeth (Bessie) Freeman, wife of Mr. Alfred S. George Freeman, of Sydney, and Mrs. Florence Playfair, wife
of Mr. Alfred  Playfair, of Randwick.
The old historic home (Sunnyside) was well known and noted for its hospitality.  Mr. George Matcham Pitt was also engaged in farming and pastoral pursuits, and AVUS at one time the owner of Curragindi and Bunaba stations, in the Moree district.


Source: The SMH 22 Mar 1912


Walter Hay

Arrived in 1838 on the Lady Kenaway along with his parents and brother.


Ran the first shop in Noosa known as "The Shanty". Hay's Island was named after Walter.


Held the lease on Princes Ferry which operated on the Mary River at Maryborough.

One of the pioneers of the Wide Bay district, in the person of Mr Walter Hay, of Noosa Heads, joined the silent majority on Saturday. He had been ailing for about eighteen months, and in fact had not enjoyed robust health since he had a paralytic stroke several years ago. The late Mr Hay visited the Noosa district previous to the discovery of gold at Gympie, but at the time when the rush to the goldfields set in, he was the fortunate owner of the ferry at Maryborough. During this time Mr Hay bought the steamer "Sir John Young" which was the first used to convey goods for Gympie as far as Tiaro. Mr Hay conceived the idea of opening up a route to Gympie via Noosa, and put his energy into the scheme, ultimately achieving his object. He opened the road between Tewantin and Gympie, but only succeeded in finding a track through the Four Mile Scrub after several failures. By means of the "Sir John Young" trading between Noosa and Brisbane, and teams to Gympie, the route between Brisbane and Gympie was opened up and is used even to this day for certain classes of goods. The deceased gentleman had abundant faith in the future of Noosa and invested largely in property in that district, but the port failed to make the advances that he anticipated. He was a splendid bushman, hardly ever being at fault, and marked almost every road about Tewantin. Of genial disposition he was generous to a fault. Mr Hay, who attained the ripe old age of 73 years, was married twice, his first wife being Miss Eaton, daughter of Mr J. Eaton of "Teebar", and his second wife, Miss Bull, who survives him. He had a large family, all of whom are grown up. In recent years he had a position under the Harbours and Rivers Department, looking after the beacons and lights at the entrance to the Noosa River. For the last few months he had been unable to attend to his duties, which were efficiently performed by his youngest son. The funeral took place at Tewantin yesterday and was attended by a large number of mourners.

Source: The Gympie Times 1 Oct 1907


624. Martha Richmond Hay

Never married but was the mother of eight children. Died in Goodna Mental Hospital


636. John William Nichols

Died from accidental gunshot wound


Benjamin Micklethwaite

The death occurred at Sandgate on Wednesday last (says the "Gayndah Gazette") after a long and painful illness, of Mr Ben Micklethwaite, of Holroyd, for long years a resident of the Burnett. For the past twelve months deceased had been suffering from an internal complaint, which gradually wore him down. During the past couple of months the illness developed most painful conditions, and death must have come as a happy release. He leaves a widow but no children. Up to about eighteen months ago deceased presented the embodiment of health. He always led a most active life. His occupation was that of a grazier, a calling he made a success of. For years past deceased was a central figure in all district social events. Invariably he was found installed as Master of Ceremonies, and for a man of his advanced years his activity and artistic movement in the dancing arena was always most noticable. The fact that Mr Micklethwaite was M.C. was a guarantee of enjoyment. As a Queenslander, deceased was one of our worthy pioneers, held in the highest respect throughout his career. His body was interred at Sandgate.

Source: The Maryborough Chronicle 12 Jan1920


103. William McAlpin

MR. W. McALPIN.

SINGLETON, Sunday.
The death has occurred of Mr. William McAlpin, sen., aged 83. His parents brought him on horseback from Richmond to Bulga, in this district, when he was 18 months old, and the family settled there, the father being the late William Glass McAlpin. The deceased went to Howe's Valley when a young man, where he followed grazing pursuits. For many years he was a judge of blood and light horses at Singleton and Richmond shows. He leaves a wife and three sons and three daughters. One of the sons is Sergt. A. G. McAlpin (Grafton police force).

Source: The SMH 20 Aug 1923


687. Hope Chapman McAlpin

DEATH OF M.M. AND BAR WINNER.
Mr. Hope Chapman McAlpin, former well-known resident of the district, passed away at Maitland District Hospital on Saturday. He was 64 years of age. Mr. McAlpin was a very keen sportsman i.nearlier being most prominent in at cricket and tennis. A stretcher-bearer in the 1914-18 war, he won the Military Medal and Bar whilst attached to the 36th. Infantry Battalion. Mr.  McAlpin was born at Howe's Valley, and lived most of his early life there until moving to Bulga, where he lived until recent years, when he moved to Branxton. Although he had been an invalid for some years, Mr. McAlpin was well known for his great personality and his ever present smile. He married Rita Hayes, of Bulga, and she pre deceased him by eight years. Deceased is survived by three sisters, a brother, and a son, Roy. His sisters surviving are Mr. W. Fitzgerald (Baerami), Mrs. N. Barratt (Branxton), and Aileen (Branxton') and the brother is Mr. W. L. McAlpin (Hamilton)

Source: The Muswellbrook Chronicle 27 May 1947