Australian English Genealogy

Descendants of Thomas Eather

Notes (Page 10)

Martha Rebecca Cornwell



The late Mrs. Martha Rebecca Onus, wife of Mr. Joseph Onus, of 'Clearoaks,' Richmond, who passed away on the 13th instant, was, like her respected husband, a native of Richmond. The home 'Clearoaks' was founded by the Onus family over 100 years ago, and the family is one of the most historic in the Hawkesbury district. And so also is the Cornwell family, from which the late Mrs. Onus came. She was the daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Abraham Cornwell . After her marriage to Joseph Onus, son of the late Mr. and Mrs. William Onus, the young couple resided at 'Clearoaks,' and with the exception of a break of a few, years, spent all their lives there. The subject of this notice was baptised in St. Peter's Church, Richmond, and as a young woman, was a teacher in the Sunday school . She was married in the old historic church in 1865 by the Rev. John Elder, and now her mortal remains rest in the Onus family vault across the way. The late Mrs. Onus was a woman of beautiful character and a most lovable disposition. Her benevolence knew, no bounds. She was one of those grand women, whose death is a distinct loss to any community. She had attained the age of 75 years, and her life has been one of usefulness and good living. For some years she had been in failing health, and succumbed to an acute attack of bronchitis. At the time of her death her husband was seriously ill with pneumonia, and is still laid up. Their family consists of four sons and four daughters, all of whom are well known in the Richmond district. They are: William (in Africa), Abraham and John (proprietors of the Windsor Electric Light and Power Station), Albert (living at 'Clearoaks'), Mrs. Scott, Mrs. Merryful, Mrs. Cavill, and Miss Onus. The late Mrs. Onus was one of a family of twelve, and those who still survive are Messrs. Abraham and Daniel Cornwell, and Mrs. John Tipping, Mrs. Gloucester White and Mrs. William Eaton. Mr. Gloucester White is the well-known Bathurst pressman, and was one of the brothers who for many years ran the Bathurst 'Free Press,' which in later years became incorporated with the Bathurst 'Times. The late Mrs. Onus' mother died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. White, at Bathurst, in 1888, on the 13th day of June, the same day of the month on which Mrs. Onus died,, Mr. Joseph Onus is the only surviving member of the William Onus family. The irreparable loss that he has just sustained is the first break in his family. Another grand old Hawkesbury native has gone to her rest, in the person of Mrs. George Turnbull, who died on the 15th instant, at the ripe old age of almost 90 years. She was the widow of the late George Turnbull, of Wilberforce, and lived the whole of her long life, with the exception of the last three years, at Sackville Reach and Wilberforce. Three, years ago she went to reside with her eldest daughter, Mrs. R. Jones, at Wellington, and died there. The late Mrs. Turnbull was a fine Christian woman, endowed with great piety, and took a very deep and abiding interest in the religious and material progress of this district, and in all movements which had for their object the advancement of the people. She enjoyed remarkably good health for her great age, and was ill only two weeks prior to her death. She was one of the noble type of women who, by their example and precepts, leave the world a better place than they found it. Five of her children survive her, viz. : -Mrs. R. Jones (Wellington), Mr. H. A. Turnbull (Sydney), Mr. Louis D. Turnbull, J.P., (Geurie) , Mr. Irwin Turnbull (Springwood), and Mrs. James Buttsworth ( West Australia) . Her daughter, Mrs. Harold Dean, and son, Amos George Turnbull, pre-deceased her. As instancing the wonderful progress the State has made since the late Mrs. Turnbull's ' childhood, it is interesting to mention that there were no denominational or public school then, and her father pro vided a private tutor who lived in the home. At that time no railways had been constructed in the State, and communication with Sydney was by coach or private vehicle, while produce had to be carted by road from the Hawkesbury to Sydney. The remains of the late Mrs. Turnbull were brought from Wellington by train, and laid to rest by the side of those of her late husband, in the historic Presbyterian cemetery at Ebenezer. The Rev. D. Baird, assisted by Rev. J. Scharkie, conducted the burial service. A short service was first held in the church, and was attended by a large number of relatives and friends. The late Mrs. Turnbull was a daughter of the late Reuben Greentree, and a sister of that fine old Hawkesbury native, Mr. Reuben Greentree, J.P., of Wilberforce, who is now over 80 years of age. One of the deceased's sisters is Mrs. Jane Gosper, of Meranburn, 'in the Molong district, who is 83 years of ag'e. The deceased's husband, George Turnbull, was a grandson of one of the early Presbyterian pioneers, John Turnbull, who settled at Ebenezer in 1802, and was buried in the historic cemetery there in 1834. The father, grandfather and great grandfather of the present generation of Turnbulls are all buried there.

Source: Richmond and Windsor Gazette 25 Jun 1920

123. William Onus

IN the Banco Court, Sydney, on 22nd February, the action for breach of promise, brought by Eliza Jane Coggan, daughter of James Coggan, publican of Inverell, to recover £3000 for damages from William Onus, a butcher and cattle dealer at Inverell, resulted in a verdict for plaintiff, with £500 for damages. The evidence of plaintiffs father, plaintiff's sister, and one Donaldson, showed that plaintiff (Miss Coggan) was aged 21 years, and was the eldest of her six sisters. She resided with her father, and was very intimate with defendant for about two years. They frequently met, and went out on horseback together. Last May plaintiff's father received an anonymous letter of his daughter being enciente. Plaintiff's father saw defendant, who admitted that he had done wrong, and promised to marry plaintiff after he returned from the country. In July last plaintiff, defendant, Mr Coggan, Mr Donaldson, and plaintiff's sister, met in plaintiff's father's publichouse parlour-Mr Coggan said, " Now, Onus, do you intend to marry the girl Defendant said, " Yes, I do." They shook hands over plaintiffs lap, and parted on good terms. Up to August 1 defendant continued his addresses to plaintiff, who in September following gave birth to a child, of which defendant was the putative father. During September defendant got married to a Miss Powell, and in October brought his wife to live at Inverell. Plaintiff then brought this action and obtained an affilliation order against defendant for 10s per week from tho bench of magistrates at lnverell. For the defence, a letter from plaintiff to defendant, warning him from coming to the house, as her father was much enraged at his conduct. This letter was sent in July last, the day after tho conversation in the parlour. The evidence of defendant's cousin was taken to show that he and others had walked out with plaintiff nearly as often as defendant had done. In estimating the damages, Mr Coggan stated that defendant owned a house worth £1000, and was partner in a lucrative cattle dealing and butchering business, but defendant's cousin said the defendant only got £200 a year for managing a business at Inverell, His Honor told the jury that they were not to estimate the ability of defendant to pay damages, but to estimate tho injury done to plaintiff. The jury found a verdict for plaintiff, with £500 for damages.

Source: Clarence and Richmond Examiner and New England Advertiser 4 Mar 1876

John Thomas Pryke


(By R.W.F.)
The subject. this sketch was one of the oldest and most highly esteemed residents  of Richmond, whom to know as an intimate friend was pleasure. We find him in the early days as poundkeeper, again sitting as one of the earlier civic fathers, then in the role of prime mover in the good old 'ding- dong' spurts oh the old 'sandy gallop'
course, an enthusiast in geneial sport, and founder of the well-known business of saddler and harness maker. Practically to the end he was most reminiscent, and enjoyed nothing better -than reviewing the past. It was on one such occasion the writer was granted the privilege  of receiving a brief sketch of his life, which I propose to convey to the public in his own language: — ' ''I was born in Essex, England, 1st October, 1836. We came out from England in the old convict ship, 'Earl Grey,' and landed at Sydney in '37. . Father was a company sergeant major in the 80th Regiment. On arrival he was ordered to the Blue Mountains, owing to rioting among the prisoners,  and stationed at Ball's camp to keep order among them. Returning to Windsor for a rest, after being' through the colonies — Norfolk Island as well — he was ordered to
Parramatta for duty, and on arrival there received orders to prepare for India. It was a very hot day when they were marching to Parramatta, and affected father so much h took ill and had to go into hospital, and - died from heart failure. After father's death mother returned with her four children to Windsor, and I have remaine1 in the , district, with the exception of a few months in Melbourne, ever since. When I was  about 15 years old I went to serve my time, at the trade of saddler with a Mr. Soole, who was an old established business  man in Windsor, and was bound for' five years and five months. About 18 months before my time was up he died, so my other two fellow apprentices and myself had, to strike out. I came to Richmond, William Freeman went to Melbourne, and John Cadden went to Queensland. I called on old Mr. Guest, who was in .business as a saddler, and asked  him if he could give me work. He looked at me for a moment and said he could, but wanted to know how much wages I wanted. I told him I would leave that part to himself, so he said 'he would give me 35-/ and keep. This was more than I expected, and was a great rise for me, as up till then I had only been getting my keep. And for Mr. Guest I worked some time, quite happy and contented.

When 'Billy' Freeman, my old fellow apprentice, Was leaving for Melbourne I asked him if he saw a job that was worth while going to, to let me know. So one day I heard , from Freeman, who had got me a job at a higher wage than  I was getting. Being anxious to get further experience at the trade I decided to go to Melbourne, and  join. Freeman in the job. Mr. Guest offered me more wages  to stay  with him, but I told him I was anxious to gain experience,  and as I had promised Freeman to go I would give it a triaBut I found I was no better off in Melbourne on the higher -wages than I was on my wages in Richmond,., so after about eight months stay in Melbourne I returned to Windsor and went to work for Mr. Cavanagh, but left him, on account of unsatisfactory business arrangements. After working in Windsor some 12 months I went to Richmond and started for myself, and have been here ever since, and have seen a lot of changes during the .time. When I started in Richmond it was hard to get a place in Windsor-street, and I had to take an old house— the only one available in Windsor-street— once occupied- by old ,Mr. Poole, who ran a single horse coach to Windsor. . The old house had no door or window in at, the time, I paid £8 to have a door and large window put in,  so that I could go into it and make a start. And here I set up business,  and camped on the premises. Later on, an other house, formerly occupied by William Eather, was vacant. I took this house and  married a daughter of '. Thomas Eather. The wife's father took contracts, and had the  contract for the Supply of timber for the old Richmond bridge, which proved not a profitable one. I started in business in  Richmond - in 1859, and. others in business at the time were old Mr. Guest, who had his saddler's shop where Woodhill's millinery shop is today; and Thorley, who had just taken over a business from Ball. When I was leaving for Melbourne I was presented with a small bible by Mrs. Soole — a great .'Wesleyan. She also gave me one done up in a parcel for Freeman, and it hadn't to be  opened till it was delivered to Freeman. The old lady's wishes I carried out. (On the fly leaf of Mr. Pryke's bible Mrs. Soole wrote: 'To Mr. Thomas Pryke, as a token at deepest respect by his sincere Friend, Mrs. Soole. October. 25th, 1856.) Mr Pryke treasured that gift, and used the old bible m the performance of his duties as a Justice of the. Peace. And to illustrate how lasting friendships are made Mr Pryke said: 'The first man to purchase an article from me in Richmond was old Mr. Joseph Onus—a racing bit at 7/6— and we were firm friends thereafter. In those days racing was all the rage in the district, and they thought nothing of 7/6, but now they think a lot of 7/6  Mr Pryke concluded thus: We have had 13 children in family, and reared eight, the mother dying on 3rd July. 1920, at the age of 78 years- an-J I will be 84 on the 1st October, 1920.' Such was our conversation on the 25/9/20 and as I review it again I see the earnest look on my dear, old friend's face, and hear the grateful tone in his voice when speaking of those who had been kind to him after his father's death. Again I see the face aglow with smiles as we spoke of the 'sandy gallop sports; and yet again I hear the - voice grateful for the good wife of a fair life-time, for the family they reared, their grandchildren; and the noble part their sons and grandchildren played in the great war. Thus resigned, bright and cheerful, and the same old loving father, . Thomas Pryke passed beyond, the veil worthy of  the esteem and honor in which he was held.

Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 5 May 1922

135. Mary Elizabeth Eather

"PIONEERING FAMILY MRS. THOS JARRETT Mrs. Thomas Jarrett, one of Coff's Harbour's oldest and most highly respected residents, died at her residence in Coff's Harbour. She was nearly 77 years of age, and with her husband was one of the pioneers of the Bellinger.
A member of the well-known Eather family, who came to the Bellinger 69 years ago and. settled on a farm opposite Bellingen, deceased was married 56 years ago to Mr. Thomas Jarrett, who is still one of the grand old men of that district. All the members of the grown-up. family were home six years ago for the golden wedding and they were assembled again from far distances for the funeral.
The Jarrett and Eather families lived side by side on the Bellinger for years, the Jarrett's having arrived there about five years earlier.
Mr. Thomas Jarrett and his brother George were the first to sink an axe blade in the great scrub trees that flourished on Bunker's Hill, as the site of the present town of Bellingen was then known. The blade happened to be that of a tomahawk. There were only three white families in the area at that time, and Coff's Harbour was little thought of. The Jarrett family came from Brisbane Water by the schooner Emma, in charge of Captain Bob Crimwood.  It was in the year 1897 that Mr. and Mrs. Jarrett and family came from the Bellinger to reside at Coff 's Harbour. Mr. Jarrett was working in the timber industry, and he acquired a considerable area, of the land now built, upon at the Jetty.  The funeral was largely attended, and many of the old residents of the Bellinger and surrounding district were present. Rev. Father Ryan conducted the service and Mr. C. H. Everingham carried out the funeral arrangements.
Surviving sons and daughters are Messrs. William (Wootton), James (Toowoomba), George (Brisbane), and Mesdames F. Smidt (Kyogle), R. S. Turner (Sydney), A. Lobb (Chinchilla, Queensland), Con. Graham (Woolgool ga), and . J. T. O'Sullivan' (Broad water). Two daughters (Mesdames J. T. Cahill and G. H. Andrews) pre deceased the mother. The late Mrs. C. P. Keeble and late Mrs. Joseph Murphy, both late of Bellingen, were sisters. Brothers are Messrs. Tom, Vince, Abe and Jack Eather, late of Bellingen.

Source: Northern Star 6 Mar 1933:

136. James Joseph Eather

The many friends of Mr. J. J. Eather, late inspector of Police, will regret to learn of his death, which occurred at 'Kiola' Private Hospital, Armidale,' yesterday (Sunday), at 5.30 p.m. The deceased was on a visit to Uralla, and contracted rheumatic fever, from which he never recovered. The late Mr. Eather was over 30 years in the police force, reaching the rank of Inspector, and was well-known in the Northern district, particularly at Uralla, Guyra, and Tenterfield. He married Miss Millicent Bath, of Walcha, and is survived by his widow and four sons— Thomas (late captain A.I.F.) , Frank (late Cap tain A.I.F.) , James. (Duntroon College, late lieutenant A.I.F.), and Harry; and Mrs. James (Tasmania), Gertie (Nurse), five daughters— Mrs. W. Elliott (Uralla), Sister Celsuf (Convent, of Mercy, Graf ton), and Kathleen.

Source: Daily Observer 17 May 1920

822. John E Eather

Twin. Died aged 3 months from gastro enteritis.

139. William Vincent Eather

Mr. William Vincent Eather, a resident of Konorigan, who died in Lismore on Thursday afternoon, was buried yesterday afternoon in the Roman Catholic portion of the Lismore cemetery. A service was con ducted in St. Carthage's Cathedral by the Rev. Father Duggan, of Goolmangar. A service at the graveside was also conducted by Father Duggan. The pall bearers at the Cathedral and graveside were Messrs. R. G. Melverton and G. E. Piper (sons-in-law), R. Switt, F. Bray, J. Mclntyre and W. W. Seccombe. Mr. C. Seccombe carried wreaths. The funeral arrangements were carried out by Will Riley and Son.

Source: Northern Star 13 Jan 1940