Australian English Genealogy

Descendants of Thomas Eather

Notes (Page 11)

156. William Tobias Eather

Richmond Police Court.

Police v William Eather, for using obscene language in Fast Market-street. Mr Campbell appeared for defendant. Constable Armstrong deposed that defendant was shouting at the top of his voice, and when remonstrated with he used the language complained of. Charlotte Eather, wife of defendant, deposed that Constable Armstrong was nagging at the defendant for fully a quarter of an hour, and that her husband did not make use of the language complained of.  Defendant gave similar evidence.
The Bench gave defendant the benefit of the doubt and dismissed the case.

Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 23 Dec 1893

Charlotte Elvina Elizabeth Stratford

THE death took place at East Market street, Richmond, on Wednesday morning of Mrs. Charlotte Elizabeth Eather, an old identity of the sister town, at the age of 77 years. Deceased was a native of the Hawkesbury, and lived in Richmond practically all her life. Her husband, the late William Tobias Eather, died some years ago. The remains will be laid to rest in St. Peter's ' Anglican cemetery, Richmond, this Thursday afternoon.

Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 29 Jul 1932

157. John Wesley Eather

There passed- away at the home of his daughter at Richmond on December 25 Mr. John Wesley Eather, at the age of 91 years. A native of Richmond, and a member of a pioneering family, deceased early in life interested himself in orcharding in the Kurrajong and Co lo districts, and maintained this interest throughout his working life. A noted shearer in his prime, he followed this occupation in successive seasons for almost half a century in the various sheep districts of the State, and it is to his record that he was employed at one shed at Breeza for 41 consecutive seasons. He married Miss Kate Eliza Berwick, of another old pioneer Hawkesbury family, and they reared a large family. His wife predeceased him some 12 years ago, and the surviving family comprises Ivy (Mrs. T. Jones, Gympie, Queensland), Jack (Richmond), Robert (Hurstville), Frederick (Colo), Myrtle (Mrs. T. Caterson, Richmond), and Mountain (Spring wood). One son, Jim, was killed while serving in the first A.I.F. in France. Before the interment a service was conducted in St. Philip's Church, North Richmond, by the Rev. R. G. B. Ashcroft, who referred to the good example set by the deceased in al ways giving his best in service wherever he was employed. Among friends and relatives at the funeral were representatives of Kurrajong, Colo, Windsor, Richmond and Sydney.

Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 16 Jan 1946

161. Walter Eather

Serious Charge.-Two young men were charged at Richmond last week; with having assaulted and robbed one Daniel Todd, subjecting him to various indignities. They reserved their defence and were committed for trial. Their names were Charles Harper and Walter Eather.

Source: Australian Town and Country Journal 5 Mar 1892

The death took place on Friday last, 24th instant at St. Vincent's Private Hospital, Sydney, of Walter Eather, of The Slopes North Richmond. The late Mr. Eather was 52 years of age and up to three weeks, ago was in apparently good health, but some internal malady developed for which he was operated on, but succumbed almost im mediately after. He belonged to one of the oldest Hawkesbury families and was highly respected throughout the whole of the dis trict. He was the youngest son of the late Robert Vincent Eather, of North Richmond. For several years, while a young man, he carried on wheat farming in the Quirindi district, where he married Miss Deborah Bourne, of Wallabedeh. He then came to reside on his property at The Slopes, where he set out a fine citrus orchard and carried on other agricultural pursuits. The issue of the marriage was one child, a daughter, Miss F. Eather, who resided with her parents. The funeral took place on Sunday, the remains being brought from Sydney by motor to deceased's late home from whence the funeral started. It was one of the largest funerals ever seen in the district, there being about 80 vehicles and 30 horsemen in the funeral procession. The remains were interred in St. Phillip's Church of England cemetery, North Richmond. The Rev. N. Lloyd conducted the service and Mr. Albert Price carried out the funeral arrangements.

Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 31 Oct 1919