Australian English Genealogy

Descendants of Thomas Lisson

Notes -Page 8

90. James Winton Teale

MANY people may have wondered at the spelling of the name Winten with an 'e' when, as a rule, it .is spelt with an 'o.' The late James Winten Teale was named after his only uncle, on the mother's side, James Winten, who fairly; early in the last century, over landed to Queensland with his brother-in-law, Henry Teale, of Wilberforce. The last-named came back, to rear a large family in the old home at Wilberforce. James Winten, who formerly owned a farm at Freeman's Reach, remained in the Northern State where he acquired large pastoral properties, but made a visit about every two or three years to his native Wilberforce. The well-known bothers, H. J., L., and O. Winten, are probably the leading men. in the turf world of Queensland to-day, and they often bring horses to the Randwick meetings. At the funeral of the late James Winten Teale at Rookwood last Thursday the family was represented by the following: — Widow, only son and daughter, daughter-in-law, son-in-law, Mrs. McKay, Mrs. Durrington, Mrs. Read and Mrs. McKinnon (sisters), Messrs. Joseph and Fred. Teale (brothers), Mrs. E. Durrington, Mr C. Read, Mr. F. Minister  (brothers-in-law), Mrs. Joseph Teale (sister-in-law), Messrs. Harold Durrington, Alex, Lance, Alwyn and Ronald Teale, Max and Harry Ferguson (nephews), Mrs. Collis, Mrs. Alex. Teale, Mrs. Harry Ferguson and Miss Irene (Biddy) Durrington (nieces). Many beautiful wreaths were forwarded by relatives and friends — some particularly fine ones by various organisations connected with the Tramway Department, with which de ceased had been connected for. over 30 years.
Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 20 Jan 1933

THERE passed away at his home after a short but painful illness at Centennial street, Marrickville, on Tuesday night, Mr. James Winten, Teale, third son of the late Henry and Annie Teale, pioneers of the Wilberforce district. The deceased, who was one of a large family all raised at the old homestead at Wilberforce, spent his earlier years at the village, mostly at "Rocky Hall," then owned by his elder brother, William, and worked by another elder brother, Joseph. As a young man he went to Sydney and obtained employment in the N.S.W. Tramway Department, where he remained for over 30 years, rising to the position of deputy shed foreman at the Newtown depot, one of the largest in the metropolitan area. The cause of death was dreaded Bright's disease, which resisted the best medical skill available, and after intense suffering death came as a happy release. A devoted widow and two affectionate children. Winten, and Annie (both of whom are married) are left, to mourn, their loss. The funeral to Rookwood on Thursday was largely attended by relatives and friends, the tramway department being particularly well represented, an eloquent testimony to the popularity of the deceased amongst those with whom he had labored so long. His age was only 61 when the call came .

Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 13 Jan 1933

96. David Oscar Bushell

AFTER a lengthy suffering from a painful illness, one of this district's oldest and most respected residents, Mr. David Oscar Bushell, passed peacefully away at his residence, Wilberforce, during the early hours of Sunday morning at the age of 73 years.  By his death, the Hawkesbury has lost one of those pioneer farmers of the old
school who did so much for the promotion and the prosperity of this part of the colony in its early days. The arduous toil that was associated with the plodding pioneers had
no exception in this centre, and men like Dave Bushell, who carved their homes in the heart of the bush , and reared a large family, were endowed with a large measure
of pluck and perseverance. A son of the late David and Isetta Bushell, the deceased was born at Wilberforce, where he resided all his life. Forty- one years ago he was married at the Presbyterian Church, Windsor, to Mary Sullivan, daughter of Mr. James Sullivan and the late Mrs. Sullivan, of Wilberforce . Incidentally Mr. Sullivan is still hale and hearty at the great age of 87 years.  On account of ill health, the late Mr. Bushell retired from active farm work about twelve years ago. He was able to get about,
however, until six months ago, when his illness took a more serious form and against the progress of which he fought tenaciously. Considerable pain was his misfortune through his sickness, which he bore with great Christian fortitude and with wonderful hope, patience and resignation.  The late Dave Bushell was a man who worked hard during his early life, and he and his good wife reared a family of sons and daughters who are a credit to a good father and mother. The home of the Bushells has always been recognised as one of the most hospitable in the Hawkesbury, and many stories are told of the help and encouragement that others received at the hands of the deceased. Ever ready to help a deserving cause, the late Mr. Bushell's kindness and charity earned for him the goodwill of all sections of the community. Deceased leaves a widow and family ofeight sons, and three daughters, viz., Netta (Mrs. Wood, Windsor), Bruce (Wilberforce), Arthur (Windsor), Jack (Vineyard), Joshua (Wilberforce), Lillian (Mrs. O. Voller), Wilberforce), Linda (Penrith), Paul, David, Alfred and William (Wilberforce). Mrs. T. Lobb (Wollstonecraft, and formerly of Windsor), Mrs. Edward Cupitt (Windsor), are sisters, and Mr Vern. Bushell (Wee Waa) is a brother of the deceased.  That the late Mr. Bushell was a man  who enjoyed the universal esteem of the people was evidenced by the large gathering that attended the funeral on Sunday afternoon, the remains being laid to rest in the Presbyterian cemetery, Windsor. Rev. R. C. Lawton conducted the last sad rites, and Mr. Chandler was the undertaker.
Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 11 Sep 1931

98. Izetta Lavinia Bushell

THERE passed away, suddenly and quite '; unexpectedly, at her residence, 'Yo Merry,' 10 Hazelbank-street, Wollstonecraft, early on the morning of the 6th instant, Mrs.
Izetta Lavinia Lobb, wife of Mr. Thomas Lobb, formerly a well-known Windsor businessman; in her 72nd year. A native of Wilberforce and the , fourth daughter of David Bushell, the deceased early came to Windsor and took up residence with her sister, the late Mrs. Joseph Ward. Fifty years ago she married Mr. Thomas Lobb, who was at that time a draper and mercer in the old town. Embarking on a business career, the then young couple opened up in a very unpretentious way in the shop at the corner of George and Catherine streets, and now occupied by Mr. Edward Hayes as a cycle depot. The business prospered, and it Was necessary to secure more commodious 'premises The building now occupied by Mrs. Maisey as a boot emporium was procured, and the success of the venture is already well known.  Mrs. Lobb was a wonderful helpmate, and, in conjunction with the ordinary business, a dressmaking department was started and thereby quite a large staff was employed for a great number of years. Family cares necessitated the closing of the dressmaking branch of the business, after which Mrs Lobb helped very materially to build up sufficient to enable the family to live in retirement during the latter portion of her life.  Migrating to Wollstonecraft some few years ago, the Lobb family soon made a large circle of friends, as they had done in the Hawkesbury, and it is safe to assume hat Mrs. Lobb's happy and genial disposition Was in a great measure responsible. , Although the subject of this notice did not take an active part in public affairs, her many kindly deeds in Windsor will long be remembered, and it was very genuine grief that was expressed toy -those who Were acquainted with her when the news of her, sudden and unexpected death became known.  We venture to say (that no family enjoys greater respect and esteem than the Lobbs, who proved such Worthy and estimable citizens of Windsor.  The late Mrs. Lobb was a good Christian woman. As a church worker she was ever very keen, and until a few years since associated herself very actively in all functions for the good of old St. Matthew's. For years she was entrusted with the responsibility of the refreshment stall at the annual church bazaars, and. she left behind a record of service which, those who followed found very difficult to equal.  Besides the husband, the late Mrs. Lobb leaves a family of one son and three daughters, viz., Prank (Chatswood), Dorothy (at home), Kathleen (Mrs. Roy Cobcroft; North Sydney) and Queenie (Mrs. Walter Short Woolstonecraft). Mrs. E. J. Cupitt (Fitzgerald-street, Windsor) is a sister, and Mr. Vernon Bushell (Werriwa) is a brother of the  deceased — the only surviving members of a family of eleven.  The remains were cremated at the Northern Suburbs Crematorium, a large and representative gathering, including many from
this district, attending the last sad rites.
Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 22Jun 1934

105. James Abraham Winten

Lived in Roma Qld

106. Rowland Joshua Winten

--An early Queensland pioneer, and pastoralish Mr. Rowland J. Winton, died today at St. Helen's Hospltal, Brlsbane. The late Mr. Wlnton movedto the Warrego dlstrlct
with his family In 1876 when most of the Queensland outback was virgin country.  He spent the rest of his life in pastoral and then grazing pursuits. Mr. Winton controlled many stations in later years, including such well-known names as Bogarella, Wareregral, Aberglassle, Cytherea, and Olencara. He was Chairman of the Mitchell Rabbit
Board for 20 years, and a prominent member of the Prickly Pear Board Committee.  But it is perhaps in racing circles that Mr. Winton beat will be remembered.
Remarkably active for his age, Mr. Winton was 89.  He was still riding his horses until 12 months ago, when he lost his sight. His health began to fail, and for the last six months he was seriously ill. He is survived by five sons, and five daughters, his brother, Darcy Winton, and his sister, Mrs. A. M. Tait, who lives in Sydney.
Source: Queesland Times 3 Mar 1953