Australian English Genealogy

Descendants of William Eaton

Notes (Page 4)

John Krebs Ashbury

NSW Railways - engine driver

178. Charles Percy Ashbury

Electrician. He is mentioned in the Penrith local history as having arranged electric light illumination of the Penrith main street for special occasions.

36. Margaret Susannah Cornwell

Death of Mrs. M. S. Tipping
Nepean district lost one of its most exemplary citizens by the death of Mrs. Margaret Susannah Tipping, which took place at the residence of her " daughter-in law, High Street, Penrith, on Monday morning, at the ago of 90 years. Deceased was a most worthy representative of a former generation of widely-known Hawkesbury residents, whose lives are essentially linked with the history of the district. She was horn in Richmond on November 14. 1842, and was the daughter of the late Mr and Mrs Abraham Cornwell. She was the ninth child of a family of thirteen that was known and respected by practically everyone in the Hawkesbury district, and by many Nepeanites. One needs to go back to the first years of Richmond's existence to find the first association of the Cornwells with the town. Deceased was tho first baby to he christened in the historic St. Peter's Church, Richmond. She was educated at Miss Deed's and Mrs Parkinson's Ladies' College in that town. She was married to the late John Tipping, an engineer of the Government Railways, who died in 1888, leaving Her with a family of five sons and one daughter Mrs Tipping was a resident of Penrith for 63 years. In her younger days, with her late husband, she was a very active worker for charities, churches, and the general good of the district. She took a keen interest in polities, and could converse very interestingly on happenings of many years ago, such as the opening of the railway at Penrith , the building of the line over Mountains, and the big flood of 1807, when food had to be supplied in boats to residents forced to take refuge in the upper stories of their homes in the town of Richmond, She enjoyed good health to within a few weeks of her passing peacefully to rest, respected and loved by all who were privileged to know her, The Cornwell family, like others of the Hawkesbury and Nepean districts, were noted for their longevity. De ceased 's father and mother both lived to 81 years, and the ages of their sons and daughters are as.. follows:—Char lotto Graney, 93; William Cornwell, 72; Sophy Cornwell, 86; Jane Ashbury, 72; George Cornwell, 85 Daniel Cornwell, 85; Thomas Cornwell, 78; Martha Onus, 75 Margaret Tipping, 90; Abraham Cornwell,91 -Mary Ann White, 85 (living)) Julia Eaton, 83 (living); Percy Cornwell, 87. Some years ago deceased made her home with her son, Charles, who died several years ago, and after his death continued to reside with his widow.
Deceased is survived by four sons, Mr .J. R. Tipping, of Penrith, Messrs A. T. and W. H. Tipping, of Bathurst, and Mr S. Gr. Tipping, of Coalstoun Lakes, near Biggenden, Queensland. One daughter, Margaret, and three sons, John. Gloster, and Charles, predeceased her. She leaves two sisters, Mrs White and Mrs Eaton, abovementioned.  The funeral took place on Tuesday, and the gathering of mourners was large and representative. A service was conducted in St. Stephen's Church by the Rector, Rev J. W. Ferrier. Mr H. W. Orth, the church organist, played ■Chopin's Funeral March and the Dead March in Saul..
Most of the family and many of her friends were present The Rector, in the course of an address, referred to Mrs Tipping as one whom, in his short term of office, he had learned to esteem very highly for her piety and sterling qualities. ' An indication of her unique knowledge of spiritual things was the fact that she could still recite most of the Collects in the Prayer Book and was a deligent and discerning student of the Holy Scripture. Reference was made to the fact that Mr Ferrier had that day seen the remarkable portrait, of the Saviour which Mrs Tipping had worked in wool when she was but 16 years old. The colours were still bright-, and the representation was arrestingly faithful, suggesting a reverence and devotion to her Lord which had influenced her long and varied life. 'Hers was a life whose example we might well follow. She was one who was able to rise above the worries and trials of life, because, having learned the secret of trusting and waiting upop the Lard, she renewed her strength, mounted up with wings as an eagle she ran and was not weary, she walked and was not faint, whose faith and good wishes may many follow. The remains were laid to rest in old St. Stephen's cemetery , alongside those of her husband and daughter. The chief mourners were Messrs J. K|., A'. T., and W. H. Tipping (sons), and Messrs William, Gordon, and Tom Tipping (grandsons), Thelma and Alice (granddaughters), and Mrs White and Mrs Eaton (sisters'). The coffin was carried from the church to tho graveside' by two sons and two grandsons.
Many beautiful wreaths were received, among the senders being: tho Loco Works manager and staff of Eveleigh Workshops (Mr .T. R. Tipping being a member of the staff), Nepean Rowing Club, and the W.M. and .brethren of Lodge Warragamba. Tho works manager and staff of Eveleigh workshops and the manager at Clyde were represented at the funeral.  The bereaved family has received numerous messages of sympathy—a tribute to a most estimable lady and deep regard for most respected relatives.

Source: Nepean Times 24 Dec 1932

37. Martha Rebecca Cornwell


The late Mrs. Martha Rebecca Onus, wife of Mr. Joseph Onus, of 'Clearoaks,' Richmond, who passed away on the 13th instant, was, like her respected husband, a native of Richmond. The home 'Clearoaks' was founded by the Onus family over 100 years ago, and the family is one of the most historic in the Hawkesbury -district. And so also is the Cornwell family, from which the late Mrs. Onus came. She was the daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Abraham Cornwell . After her marriage to Joseph Onus, son of the late Mr. and Mrs. William Onus, the young couple resided at 'Clear- oaks,' and with the exception of a break of a few, years, spent all their lives there. The subject of this notice was baptised in St. Peter's -Church, Richmond, and as a young woman, was a teacher in the Sunday school . She was married in the old historic church in 1865 by the Rev. John Elder, and now her mortal remains rest in the Onus family vault across the way. The late Mrs. Onus was a woman of beautiful character and a most lovable disposition. Her benevolence knew, no bounds. She was one of those grand women, whose death is a distinct loss to any community. She had attained the age of 75 years, and her life has been one of usefulness and good living. For some years she had been in failing health, and succumbed to an acute attack of bronchitis. At the time of her death her husband was seriously ill with pneumonia, and is still laid up. Their family consists of four sons and four daughters, all of whom are well known in the Richmond district. They are: William (in Africa), Abraham and John (proprietors of the Windsor Electric Light and Power Station), Albert (living at 'Clearoaks'), Mrs. Scott, Mrs. Merryful, Mrs. Cavill, and Miss Onus. The late Mrs. Onus was one of a family of twelve, and those who still survive are Messrs. Abraham and Daniel Cornwell, and Mrs. John Tipping, Mrs. Gloucester White and Mrs. William Eaton. Mr. Gloucester White is the well-known Bathurst pressman, and was one of the brothers who for many years ran the Bathurst 'Free Press,' which in later years became incorporated with the Bathurst 'Times. The late Mrs. Onus' mother died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. White, at Bathurst, in 1888, on the 13th day of June, the same day of the month on which Mrs. Onus died,, Mr. Joseph Onus is the only surviving member of the William Onus family. The irreparable loss that he has just sustained is the first break in his family. Another grand old Hawkesbury native has gone to her rest, in the person of Mrs. George Turnbull, who died on the 15th instant, at the ripe old age of almost 90 years. She was the widow of the late George Turnbull, of Wilberforce, and lived the whole of her long life, with the exception of the last three years, at Sackville Reach and Wilberforce. Three, years ago she went to reside with her eldest daughter, Mrs. R. Jones, at Wellington, and died there. The late Mrs. Turnbull was a fine Christian woman, endowed with great piety, and took a very deep and abiding interest in the religious and material progress of this district, and in all movements which had for their object the advancement of the people. She enjoyed remarkably good health for her great age, and was ill only two weeks prior to her death. She was one of the noble type of women who, by their example and precepts, leave the world a better place than they found it. Five of her children survive her, viz. : -Mrs. R. Jones (Wellington), Mr. H. A. Turnbull (Sydney), Mr. Louis D. Turnbull, J.P., (Geurie) , Mr. Irwin Turnbull (Springwood), and Mrs. James Buttsworth _( West Australia) . Her daughter, Mrs. Harold Dean, and son, Amos George Turnbull, pre-deceased her. As instancing the wonderful progress the State has made since the late Mrs. Turhbull's ' childhood, it is interesting to mention that there were no denominational or public school then, and her father provided a private tutor who lived in the home. At that time no railways had been constructed in the State, and communication with Sydney was by coach or private vehicle, while produce had to be carted by road from the Hawkesbury to Sydney. The remains of the late Mrs. Turnbull were brought from
Wellington by train, and laid to rest by the side of those of her late hus band, in the historic Presbyterian cemetery at Ebenezer. The Rev. D. Baird, assisted by Rev. J. Scharkie, conducted the burial service. A short service was first held in the church, and was attended by a large number of relatives and friends. The late Mrs. Turnbull was a daughter of the late Reuben Greentree, and a sister of that fine old Hawkesbury native, Mr. Reuben Greentree, J.P., of Wilberforce, who is now over 80 years of age. One of the deceased's sisters is Mrs. Jane Gosper, of Meranburn, 'in the Molong district, who is 83 years of age. The deceased's husband, George Turnbull, was a grandson of one of the early Presbyterian pioneers, John Turn bull, who settled at Ebenezer in 1802, and was buried in the historic cemetery there in 1834. The father, grandfather and great grandfather of the present generation of Turnbulls are all buried there.

Source: Windsor and Richmond Gazette 25 Jun 1930

Gloucester Searle White

Married as Gester White.

Walter Hay

Arrived in 1838 on the Lady Kenaway along with his parents and brother.
Ran the first shop in Noosa known as "The Shanty". Hay's Island was named after Walter.
Held the lease on Princes Ferry which operated on the Mary River at Maryborough.


One of the pioneers of the Wide Bay district, in the person of Mr Walter Hay, of Noosa Heads, joined the silent majority on Saturday. He had been ailing for about eighteen months, and in fact had not enjoyed robust health since he had a paralytic stroke several years ago. The late Mr Hay visited the Noosa district previous to the discovery of gold at Gympie, but at the time when the rush to the goldfields set in, he was the fortunate owner of the ferry at Maryborough. During this time Mr Hay bought the steamer "Sir John Young" which was the first used to convey goods for Gympie as far as Tiaro. Mr Hay conceived the idea of opening up a route to Gympie via Noosa, and put his energy into the scheme, ultimately achieving his object. He opened the road between Tewantin and Gympie, but only succeeded in finding a track through the Four Mile Scrub after several failures. By means of the "Sir John Young" trading between Noosa and Brisbane, and teams to Gympie, the route between Brisbane and Gympie was opened up and is used even to this day for certain classes of goods. The deceased gentleman had abundant faith in the future of Noosa and invested largely in property in that district, but the port failed to make the advances that he anticipated. He was a splendid bushman, hardly ever being at fault, and marked almost every road about Tewantin. Of genial disposition he was generous to a fault. Mr Hay, who attained the ripe old age of 73 years, was married twice, his first wife being Miss Eaton, daughter of Mr J. Eaton of "Teebar", and his second wife, Miss Bull, who survives him. He had a large family, all of whom are grown up. In recent years he had a position under the Harbours and Rivers Department, looking after the beacons and lights at the entrance to the Noosa River. For the last few months he had been unable to attend to his duties, which were efficiently performed by his youngest son. The funeral took place at Tewantin yesterday and was attended by a large number of mourners.

Source: The Gympie Times 1 Oct 1907

235. Martha Richmond Hay

Never married but was the mother of eight children. Died in Goodna Mental Hospital